Balanced Golf Balls

Never thought I would be in a conversation about my
my balanced balls...who knew!!
just for hell of it I will try it for real tomorrow.

My 2 cents...
I have balanced every ball for last 3 years. Modern balls are good but not perfect. Some will not even stay in then cradle of the spinner they are so out of whack. These are the balls that have the most to be gained from spinning.

Balls that do not come back to the balance line when spun again are actual the better balls to use.. The have no balance line because they are near perfect. If they return to a random spot.. A+.

If you line your balls for putts or tee shots anyway.. It is an extra 7 seconds per ball to spin them. Anytime I can touch the ball I line it up. Not a doubt in my mind that as a putt is about to come to a stop a ball that is in balance will stay on line truer. Good greens even more so. It is not OCD.. It is practical physics..

The other plus for me is a confidence thing. I know I a have a balanced ball with a line of my choice set on what I believe to be a good line for putts and tee shots. Tee shots are easier to see a quality strike. Putts are much harder to judge quality of strike. The best feedback for me putting is when I strike a putt that stays end over end on a great green without any wavering of the line. Not all good putts go in. Not all bad putts stay out.. YMMV..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By the way I balance my tires as well..

My 2 cents...
I have balanced every ball for last 3 years. Modern balls are good but not perfect. Some will not even stay in then cradle of the spinner they are so out of whack. These are the balls that have the most to be gained from spinning.

Balls that do not come back to the balance line when spun again are actual the better balls to use.. The have no balance line because they are near perfect. If they return to a random spot.. A+.

If you line your balls for putts or tee shots anyway.. It is an extra 7 seconds per ball to spin them. Anytime I can touch the ball I line it up. Not a doubt in my mind that as a putt is about to come to a stop a ball that is in balance will stay on line truer. Good greens even more so. It is not OCD.. It is practical physics..

The other plus for me is a confidence thing. I know I a have a balanced ball with a line of my choice set on what I believe to be a good line for putts and tee shots. Tee shots are easier to see a quality strike. Putts are much harder to judge quality of strike. The best feedback for me putting is when I strike a putt that stays end over end on a great green without any wavering of the line. Not all good putts go in. Not all bad putts stay out.. YMMV..

Yup. This is where I was coming from. There's some physics to it, it just remains to be seen if in our own games there's a worthwhile difference or not. Same as my take on shaft spining. There's physics in it, but does it matter enough in our games?

And it doesn't matter what we do, whether we have our good luck charm or balanced balls or spined shafts - if it gives us that little extra boost of confidence or peace of mind, for me, I'll take it.

I have never read an article detailing how many PGA Tour Pros spend time balancing their golf balls. Think about it. One missed putt could mean the difference in millions. Wouldn't they spend an hour with a ball spinner if it gave them even the slightest advantage?

"Ah," you say, " but they get special balls from the manufacturer." Think how many extra sales any golf ball manufacturer could make selling "PGA Tour balanced" golf balls. They could sell those dozen Pro-V1's for $75 and people would pay it.

Why does these things not happen? Because it's a waste of your time...

I have never read an article detailing how many PGA Tour Pros spend time balancing their golf balls. Think about it. One missed putt could mean the difference in millions. Wouldn't they spend an hour with a ball spinner if it gave them even the slightest advantage?

"Ah," you say, " but they get special balls from the manufacturer." Think how many extra sales any golf ball manufacturer could make selling "PGA Tour balanced" golf balls. They could sell those dozen Pro-V1's for $75 and people would pay it.

Why does these things not happen? Because it's a waste of your time...

I wouldn't say based on your assumption that makes it a waste of time, I'd say it's more likely they'd have to admit to the majority of balls being out of balance (if they were) before they can sell "Tour Balanced" version. In other words, there are things they don't mention doesn't mean they don't exist.

Either way, as a matter of confidence, if it helps, do it, if it makes you think too much, don't.

This is one of the most internet golfer threads on the entire site.

It is a fun read.

What it feels like for me, this is one of those things that was done decades ago, so it should be done now.

Again, I have used many golf balls over the past 5 years. I have never noticed a wobble or irregular roll. But what do I know.

It is a fun read.

What it feels like for me, this is one of those things that was done decades ago, so it should be done now.

Again, I have used many golf balls over the past 5 years. I have never noticed a wobble or irregular roll. But what do I know.

It's intriguing because I have never even heard of anyone doing this before, and it seems super unnecessary and way way way overthought if someone thinks it does anything. I mean, it might make sense if the occasional ball was lopsided, but I've never had a ball not roll straight when putted or hit straight. I've seen range balls take weird flights, but that's usually because it gets cut. I've never seen an actual playing ball do anything weird.

It's intriguing because I have never even heard of anyone doing this before, and it seems super unnecessary and way way way overthought if someone thinks it does anything. I mean, it might make sense if the occasional ball was lopsided, but I've never had a ball not roll straight when putted or hit straight. I've seen range balls take weird flights, but that's usually because it gets cut. I've never seen an actual playing ball do anything weird.
I've heard of it with the wound or belata balls from yesteryear. If nothing else, it's a really good excuse to why you miss read a putt. "I swear that should have broke right. My ball must be out of balance."

Keep that excuse in your pocket for when you miss a shorter putt

I would never do it, but if someone thinks it helps them, more power to 'em. Golf is a very mental game, and something like this could really help someone.

Can I get one that is heavy on one side? That way I can put the heavy side to the left when teeing it up and reduce some of that left to right curvature I see with my drives...

I kinda picked this idea up from some articles about Bryson DeChambeau, along with Googling "balanced golf balls". I admit it's borderline OCD, but hey, just in the name of science...

Met with a very large ball manufacturer at their HQ just a month ago. This subject came up because of the young kid that is "doing it". I wont bore with all of the details, but if someone wants to do it, and thinks that they are getting a benefit, all the power to them.

I have tested balanced and unbalanced by robot and person on FlightScope and Trackman and have not seen anything that says it needs to be done.

Personally I don't see the point

At my level of golf, there are far more other things that will have an effect on my game without worrying about my ball being balanced

Ok... just for giggles. If interested, please see the youtube link. For those who have not seen a ball spinner.Here you Go... Ball #1 is out of balance and returns to the balance line because it has to. Ball #2 is a pretty balanced ball and the orientation doesn't really matter. Any which way is cool.

http://youtu.be/sWZRx2dVdnM

It may not be worth the effort for you personally (seconds per ball) but there is no question modern balls are not perfect. If you are going to place an identification mark on your ball or you line your ball for putting. What could this hurt? What is the downside?

As a sidebar.. On high spin pitches I can see the line pull into focus. It is going to spin itself into balance. The question how much effect does that have on the initial flight of a driver, long iron or wedge.

If I am lucky enough to make the Michigan team for RR. I will supply my playing opponent with some brand new, out of the box, out of balance balls. I have some good ones stored up. The ones I refuse to put into play.

I wonder what would happen for you balancers if you had to play an event with GASP, balls supplied by THP? They would be going every which way...:banana:

I wonder what would happen for you balancers if you had to play an event with GASP, balls supplied by THP? They would be going every which way...:banana:

It might help my game :alien:

Looks like we are both currently playing the same balls.. so that would work out great. :clapp:

Looks like we are both currently playing the same balls.. so that would work out great. :clapp:

Well, to be fair, we have events with about 12 different companies.

Met with a very large ball manufacturer at their HQ just a month ago. This subject came up because of the young kid that is "doing it". I wont bore with all of the details, but if someone wants to do it, and thinks that they are getting a benefit, all the power to them.

I have tested balanced and unbalanced by robot and person on FlightScope and Trackman and have not seen anything that says it needs to be done.
Josh, sometime I'd like to hear more about this. In a vacuum, an out of balance ball would have an effect on the ball during flight, but it seems natural that the Magnus effect would greatly outweigh any force from an unbalanced ball in the real world.

The brain is a powerful thing.

I guess to test this would be a level 6-foot putt. I guess this is where this would be where it will matter the most. Never mind the rest of the shots, even I understand that this balanced thing won't affect as much.

Back