Bro, do you even hot melt?

Bro, do you even hot melt?

• Yes, if it will keep you from swapping the club for something else!

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No, save your money to pay future unwise bets you'll make.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Dang it, stop messing with your clubs!

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Why are you asking when you know you're going to do it already?

Votes: 20 66.7%

• Total voters

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
I've heard of using hot melt in clubs, but haven't never played a hot melted club myself. Well that's about to change! I'm contacted Will People's about the hot melt service on my G400 and am considering giving it a shot. I'm undecided if I want to go the #ABF (thanks, PhillyV :wink:) route or the unbiased route, but either way I'm interested to hear everyone's thought on it. Worth it? Not worth it? Indifferent?

Need a 5th answer, decided to order a new G400 from Ping WRX digitally lofted at 2XX grams.

If you need it then I say yeah go for it, if it helps your game in any meaningful way. With how often you change drivers it might affect the value of the club, but I am not sure.

If you need it then I say yeah go for it, if it helps your game in any meaningful way. With how often you change drivers it might affect the value of the club, but I am not sure.

I'll have you know I've had this G400 since last July!

Picked the last one. But I would advise slapping high density lead tape on instead. Can easily be removed, relocated, etc. unlike hot melt. Just look at 10 of 14 clubs in my bag...

Only played a club with hot melt once and that was after Danny Le put some in my m2 2016 from shaft spectacular. He placed it near the meddle of the head. Had he not told me I would not have known it and the club felt no different than when I was hitting it in my fitting.

Picked the last one. But I would advise slapping high density lead tape on instead. Can easily be removed, relocated, etc. unlike hot melt. Just look at 10 of 14 clubs in my bag...

That's a good point seeing how hot melt is rather permanent!

Only played a club with hot melt once and that was after Danny Le put some in my m2 2016 from shaft spectacular. He placed it near the meddle of the head. Had he not told me I would not have known it and the club felt no different than when I was hitting it in my fitting.

So no noticeable difference in sound?

None.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, the more I think about this, the more I think it's not happening. Especially since I'd be without my driver for at least a week and a half.

I've heard of using hot melt in clubs, but haven't never played a hot melted club myself. Well that's about to change! I'm contacted Will People's about the hot melt service on my G400 and am considering giving it a shot. I'm undecided if I want to go the #ABF (thanks, PhillyV :wink:) route or the unbiased route, but either way I'm interested to hear everyone's thought on it. Worth it? Not worth it? Indifferent?
Be aware, it WILL change the sound.

That said, it's effective and will is damn good.

That's a good point seeing how hot melt is rather permanent!

If you do it, don't like it, and try to get it out, I want to see it on video! :popcorn::rofl:

If you do it, don't like it, and try to get it out, I want to see it on video! :popcorn::rofl:

Haha, you won't see me becoming a YouTube sensation doing that nonsense :D

Be aware, it WILL change the sound.

That said, it's effective and will is damn good.

Seeing how I really like how the G400 sounds already, I'm thinking I may just leave it alone. I've just been reading up on it lately so my curiosity started getting the better of me!

I'm a pretty hardcore DIYer. I've epoxyed on adapters, put on tons of grips myself...but I haven't altered lie angle or applied hot melt yet. It's on the list, sure...but I've never thought to do it. The gap between DIY refinishing home furnishing and DIY altering golf clubs is separated by a gap of aerospace engineering that no amount of YouTube videos can fix.

I'm a pretty hardcore DIYer. I've epoxyed on adapters, put on tons of grips myself...but I haven't altered lie angle or applied hot melt yet. It's on the list, sure...but I've never thought to do it. The gap between DIY refinishing home furnishing and DIY altering golf clubs is separated by a gap of aerospace engineering that no amount of YouTube videos can fix.

A potentially expensive rabbit hole for sure!

Altering loft/lie is not difficult at all if you have the proper equipment. I used to have an MR3 True Blue loft/lie machine. That thing was top notch!

I think you should try it neutrally weighted and let me get a few swings in when you’re done. I was just reading up on hot melt, cotton balls, and yarn today. I think I may try some yarn to mute the sound a little. Was also thinking of cotton balling my son’s G driver to reduce the cowbell sound there. I don’t trust myself with hot melt and if I had to go a week or two without my main driver I might wind up buying another.

I have never had it done nor do I know of anyone up here that even does it. I'm curious though in the process of how much and where to locate is determined? Anyone with insight would be appreciated....thanks.

I have never had it done nor do I know of anyone up here that even does it. I'm curious though in the process of how much and where to locate is determined? Anyone with insight would be appreciated....thanks.
For me, I only apply hotmelt after I know the head has a chance to stick in the bag for a bit, and also when I've finalized what shaft weight and grip combo I'll be using. Then it's all about doing the math to see how many grams I need to hit my preferred swing weight, usually D4 or D5. As for placement, if its a fade biased head, for me, like the SZ I go heel, if it's too draw biased, toe, and if it's neutral I place the hotmelt neutral as well.

You've seen my stuff so you know I'm a firm believer in lead tape. I see no drawbacks with lead tape other than my deformations and mutations from handling it for years. The weight can be easily added and removed where it's my understanding hot melt is permanent. There is no circumstance where I would use hot melt as I don't like permanency for my golf clubs. I like being able to add and remove weight as my perceived needs change.

Hicksta, you get that club hot melted yet?? :angel:

I've done it to every PING driver I've played for one reason or another. Sometimes to move weight, sometimes to change sound (G25). How it plays is dependant on it feeling the way you want it after it's changed.

Any driver that stays in my bag gets the treatment with the exception of my current PING G which needs 6g but I ran out of melt and I'm pretty broke =)

Hicksta, you get that club hot melted yet?? :angel:

No sir, I decided to leave it alone for the time being. I don't want to do it just for the sake of doing it, and that's precisely what I would've been doing. Plus, I would've been without a driver for a week and half, which is no bueno with how much I practice and play :D.

Back