Price being the same, do you buy in store or online?

the same? I'm going to the store. But it's rare that I find a product that the price is the same online and in store.
Yes, this

I go to the store and test it, then head home and go straight to the Bay and check for the best deal

I go to the store and test it, then head home and go straight to the Bay and check for the best deal

Aka, 'shopping victoriously' ;)

If it's the same I will go to the store. I feel bad sometimes going into stores and not buying from them.
Only exception would be if they include free fitting and the price is close.
I will usually buy as much as I can from my local shops but usually the price difference is to much on clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm lucky that i have a friend that owns a golf store locally, so my pricing is basically the same as online. I also like to support small business so it's a win-win for me (and him).

In store, if the same price, support your local merchants.

If everyone did that and all the stores closed down, what would you do then?

If everyone did that and all the stores closed down, what would you do then?

I don't see the point in paying retail if I can get what I want at a price that works for me. I'm a huge fan of the big box stores. I'm just a bigger fan of getting what I want at the price I want.

A lot of store price match online prices...

Just ask, maybe you can get that online price in the store

If the price is the same, I buy in store. If I'm interested in a club, I want to get it on the course ASAP.

I don't see the point in paying retail if I can get what I want at a price that works for me. I'm a huge fan of the big box stores. I'm just a bigger fan of getting what I want at the price I want.
I understand wanting the best deal you can get. But I also know it costs money to stocl inventory and staff the golf area so how can we expect golf shops to stay in business if all we do is go there to demo their inventory, then run to eBay?
Not calling you out, I know we all do this at times, but I also think we all have to realize we are helping in the killing of local golf shops

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I understand wanting the best deal you can get. But I also know it costs money to store inventory and staff the golf area so how can we expect golf shops to stay in business of all we do is go there demo their inventory then run to eBay?
Not calling you out I know we all do this at times but I also think we all have to realize we are helping in the killing of local golf shops

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I get your side. The last driver and wedges I bought were the beginning of last year and were purchased from the Golfsmith 5 minutes from me. There are some things I would like to get cheaper though. For instance, any Titleist clubs. I love their gear but can't pay $250 for a hybrid or 3 wood. Clothing, I will buy in the store because it's usually the night before a round but I will check the Bay if it's something I'm not pressed to have. Plus with the clubs it's easier to find the special items you might be looking for without paying retail. A driver with a certain type shaft, irons with upgraded shafts without the MSRP upcharge....

At my old course, I would buy in the shop even if the price was slightly higher. He gave me plenty of discounts on several items so it made up for it.

Now I buy 90% plus online as I can find places with no sales tax and free shipping because I don't have any local shops that will treat me that well.

Last edited:

My uncle gave me a ton of lip about this a few years ago - so I try not to do this. If I hit it at a local store, I will ask them to give me a price close the the internet price. I think supporting the local shop is a good practice all around.
Soft goods - Other than balls, I almost always buy from the local places or the courses I am playing at.

I did not know I was your uncle :p

My uncle gave me a ton of lip about this a few years ago - so I try not to do this. If I hit it at a local store, I will ask them to give me a price close the the internet price. I think supporting the local shop is a good practice all around.
Soft goods - Other than balls, I almost always buy from the local places or the courses I am playing at.

Price being the same I always prefer to reward the store for providing me the ability to demo, get fit, having a return policy, etc. I'm even willing to pay a little bit more for that.

I find that I'm more likely to find deals on the latest & greatest at demo days than I am online. That may not be the local store, but to me, I'm still buying local.

There are some reliable sellers on eBay, but I'm also a big believer that when a deal looks too good to be true it usually is.

If prices were the same I would buy it in the store first absolutely, but like others have said that is rare.

I live an hour and a half from the big stores so when I go up there I am always wanting to test something, if it is a good fit for me or the fitter finds something that works really well for me I will buy from them. If I am buying a club because of on course results using a demo club or a friends club I will always buy online.

I like to support our local merchants, and if the price is lower online, I ask if they'd go a tad lower to make up for sales tax.

Typically, I buy custom equipment -- and the big box will not match, so I go online. For clothing, I look at deals - easier to find a clothing deal at a local merchant than new clubs.

If the local shop is a big box store, it doesnt really matter either way. If I can get free shipping and get exactly what I want, I'll go online. Now, if you are talking buying from a small, local shop; I'll go local every time. If price is equal, Id prefer to buy local and keep the money local every time.

In the hypothetical, I would buy from the store. But in the eternal words of Mike Dean, "Never pay retail."

I buy 99% of my golf stuff at my home course. I want my money in the pocket of the people who are friends, not some box store..........

Store if it was cheaper, but rarely find those deals. I do always check the apparel racks at courses because I have found some great shirts for cheap that were last years stock at the course.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The store. They fit me for my clubs and they were the same price as online. Same with golf balls. And clothes are often cheaper.

Store. Buy from a shop near me when it's feasible. I want them to stay open so I can go there and hit stuff.

Back