I have never had success using just water mind you I use carpet tape. Go the 7-11 and buy some lighter fluid. Carpet tape + lighter fluid = secure grips.

Arnold Palmer approved.
Carpet tape huh? Damn, interesting method haha. I'm gonna take another run at it this way, and if I fail again I make take you up on that tip.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Carpet tape huh? Damn, interesting method haha. I'm gonna take another run at it this way, and if I fail again I make take you up on that tip.

I thought the same thing but dang it's easy and the grips don't move once they dry. "huh". I think I have heard that out of your mouth before.

Same here... carpet tape + less toxic mineral spirits... works like a charm and cheaper than grip tape.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm just gonna pony up and pick up some mineral spirits on the way home today. I was trying to be "greener" by just using water, but oh well, sometimes chemicals are the way to go and this appears to be one of those times.

I also use mineral spirits and put a old Tupperware bowl to catch my extra solvent so I can reuse it. I'm sure once you use the right stuff it will be a walk in the park.

I also use mineral spirits and put a old Tupperware bowl to catch my extra solvent so I can reuse it. I'm sure once you use the right stuff it will be a walk in the park.

Yep, this was my plan. Will use a paint tray or something to catch it. Will also probably do it outside now that I plan on using spirits, in case I spill some.

Yep same here. I use a ton of it and really soak things. I put my finger over the end and fill the grip half way, then slosh it around really well turning the grip to make sure the inside is really coated. Dump the excess out of the end onto that shaft and immediately go. I put it between my legs to stabilize and make sure I'm not bending anything. Ive had a few stick on me but as long as everything is drenched it should be easy. Definitely would advise a solvent

I found the rubber shaft clamp on amazon for like $6, makes life really easy especially with aligning the grip. I watched about a dozen you tube videos first and it went very easy for me.

Well I admit I was kind of afraid to try it after failing a couple times before, but it went off without a hitch today. You guys were right, way easier with mineral spirits. First success!

b0b3b1c7694502cfa1208f8840e0b2c2.jpg

f87cffd34451d3c5f838fe09377ded63.jpg

Great thread. For those who are considering using air to re-place their grips here are a couple of tips:

1. Tape. The first time you re-grip a club always remove all of the old tape. Once you have re-taped once you shouldn't have to re-tape again. I only use 2" blue painters tape because, (a) it works well, (b) it's available everywhere, and (c) it's very economical. Painters tape also works well for building up your grips if needed. Once you have taped the shaft once, you can blow off an existing grip and replace it with another in just a matter of seconds. There's no need for harsh and/or smelly solvents, and there's absolutly no drying time.
  2. Air Compressor. Any inexpensive compressor will work just fine. As little as 40 to 60 PSI is all that is required, and never go above 90 PSI. I find that short burst of air works better than longer blasts. Experiment with both methods and see what works best for you.

I believe that once you have tried blowing your grips on you will never go back to using solvents. To help get started take a look at YouTube, there are plenty of vids showing you how to do it.

Give it a try and happy re-gripping. Cheers!!!

I believe that once you have tried blowing your grips on you will never go back to using solvents.

I'll second that!

Yeah, air is the way to go. I just regripped my irons yesterday, the part that took the longest was actually pulling all the old tape off the shafts by hand (I don't have one of those scraper thingies). Blowing on a full set of grips took all of 10 minutes.

Yeah, air is the way to go. I just regripped my irons yesterday, the part that took the longest was actually pulling all the old tape off the shafts by hand (I don't have one of those scraper thingies). Blowing on a full set of grips took all of 10 minutes.

Fortunately you'll never have to scrape the tape off those irons again.

Just cut the grip off my Z Star 5 iron to see this...got off ebay and first time regripping. Looks like a lot of rust in there...problem?

cc3f29ac8dbf8328d23c4ad6d3846fa2.jpg

Skibum, you sure that's rust? Looks like some kind of residue to me from the picture. However almost every steel shafted club I've ever regripped has some rust inside at the butt end so I wouldn't worry. It's always been surface rust.

Skibum, you sure that's rust? Looks like some kind of residue to me from the picture. However almost every steel shafted club I've ever regripped has some rust inside at the butt end so I wouldn't worry. It's always been surface rust.

At the end it's tape residue, but past that is rust. Sounds good, I won't worry about it. It's a little more than I've previously seen, but I think that has to do with the fact that whoever gripped these previously didn't leave enough extra tape at the butt end. Let a bunch of moisture in I think.

Great thread. For those who are considering using air to re-place their grips here are a couple of tips:

1. Tape. The first time you re-grip a club always remove all of the old tape. Once you have re-taped once you shouldn't have to re-tape again. I only use 2" blue painters tape because, (a) it works well, (b) it's available everywhere, and (c) it's very economical. Painters tape also works well for building up your grips if needed. Once you have taped the shaft once, you can blow off an existing grip and replace it with another in just a matter of seconds. There's no need for harsh and/or smelly solvents, and there's absolutly no drying time.
  2. Air Compressor. Any inexpensive compressor will work just fine. As little as 40 to 60 PSI is all that is required, and never go above 90 PSI. I find that short burst of air works better than longer blasts. Experiment with both methods and see what works best for you.

I believe that once you have tried blowing your grips on you will never go back to using solvents. To help get started take a look at YouTube, there are plenty of vids showing you how to do it.

Give it a try and happy re-gripping. Cheers!!!

looking to move to the blow on method for gripping. Couple questions.

1. Does it matter how much pressure in the air tank? 2. Does the gun type matter? 3.I've seen a few videos of removing , some add some mineral spirits in the grip end for removing ones that were taped on, is this needed? 4. What keeps the grip from slipping when not using two sided tape?(blue painters tape)

looking to move to the blow on method for gripping. Couple questions.

1. Does it matter how much pressure in the air tank? 2. Does the gun type matter? 3.I've seen a few videos of removing , some add some mineral spirits in the grip end for removing ones that were taped on, is this needed? 4. What keeps the grip from slipping when not using two sided tape?(blue painters tape)

Good to hear that you'll be giving it a try - once you do it once you will never to back to using solvents.

To answer your questions:

1. Tank Pressure. Most of the smaller (home / hobbyist) air compressors have a maximum tank pressure of 110 to 130 PSI - commercial units can run a up 300 PSI. I'm assuming that you are talking about the less expensive home owner models. Regardless of hobbyist vs. commercial compressors, all compressors have a valve that you set to the maximum pressure that you want to be delivered to your particular tool. In this case an air gun of some sort. I would suggest starting at 60 PSI to begin with, but NEVER over 90 PSI. Sixty PSI is plenty to put on your grips, and removing grips that were previously installed with air. You may need 90 PSI to remove grips that were previously installed with double sided tape and solvent. Personally I just leave my compressor set to 90 PSI and use short bursts of air - very easy to do.
  2. Gun Type. I mostly use the "Golf Specialty Gun" in the first of the two links below. However you can use a general air tool accessory kit as shown below. These "kits" are available in just about any hardware store. If you go with a kit, make sure the tip that screws into the gun is either brass or metal because they are much easier to use than the rubber tipped ones.
    Amazon - Golf Specialty Gun
    Amazon - Air Tool Accessory Kit
  3. Mineral Spirits. I would highly recommend getting some mineral spirits if you plan to take off some grips that were put on with double sided tape, and you would like to save the grip. If you do not care to save the grip(s), just cut them off.
  4. Blue Painters Tape. The painters tape does two things. First, it keeps the grip from slipping. Second, you can build up your grips (if needed) with it.
Give it a try and let us know how you made out. Cheers!

Did my own grips for the first time yesterday using air, took me a while but got it down pretty good with the irons, the woods were a bit tough.

aa6031034e434d5096d822e1cd65566f.jpg

For me the key to a good regrip is to have a good work station. By that I mean a vice grip, box cutter, lighter/torch( helps with removing that pesky tape. If you don't have those tools I suggest to go to your local golf store and have the professionals do it. I just took my clubs to Golfsmith and couldn't be happier with the guy who regripped my sticks. #leaveittotheprofessionals

I regrip everything while just holding the club in my hands. I don't use a vice at all. Works perfectly fine and I've never ruined or lost a grip due to an issue.

I have just regripped all my irons with ND MC grips. All I used was a stanley knife, grip tape and white spirits. It is quite simple to do.

You have a vice so it will be even easier for you.

Cut off the old grip
Remove the existing grip tape unless you are building up the grip (which I was, but I ensured the existing tape was still properly stuck down and replaced it as needed)
Put on grip tape leaving 1/2 inch over butt of shaft, smooth down and put excess into butt of shaft to plug the hole
Fill new grip with solvent and then pour it over the grip tape to activate the solvent (plug the hole with your finger / tee)
Quickly slide the new grip onto the shaft and line up.
Wipe excess solvent and adhesive from the shaft and grip
Leave to dry (I leave mine for 24hrs, then I wash and dry the grips and return the clubs to my bag)

Don't be afraid to really soak the griptape with solvent, it is much better to use too much than too little, you can always reuse it if you have a drip tray or container to catch it.

I get all my equipment from ebay

Exactly as MIKEF has said here.

Very easy to do. I do mine once a year, possibly more depending on the use of the club. Wedges for instance, get regripped twice a year.

I regrip everything while just holding the club in my hands. I don't use a vice at all. Works perfectly fine and I've never ruined or lost a grip due to an issue.
Agreed i usually do my regripping right in my kitchen. Never had a need for a vice.

For me the key to a good regrip is to have a good work station. By that I mean a vice grip, box cutter, lighter/torch( helps with removing that pesky tape. If you don't have those tools I suggest to go to your local golf store and have the professionals do it. I just took my clubs to Golfsmith and couldn't be happier with the guy who regripped my sticks. #leaveittotheprofessionals

Cheifs knife, sink, lighter fluid, tape and carpet grip never had an issue very easy to do.

Cheifs knife, sink, lighter fluid, tape and carpet grip never had an issue very easy to do.
Don't you think that's a bit primitive? haha.

never used that big of a knife, always found a utility knife with a hook blade to be more than enough, but as long as it's sharp it will work.

Back