Would you make the move: XR Pros to Apex CF16

Tysdad

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi All,

So I've been playing the XR Pros since they came out and I've been very happy with them. In fact, in my constant search to "find the best irons for me" I've tried to kick them out with about every iron you can name. The XR Pros have stood up to ALL of them to the point where I've quit trying(irons that is...I'm still messing with drivers, hybrids and putters :)). I've played some great golf this year with them and my index has come down 3 points with them as a big part of that drop.

My ONE complaint with them has been average at best feel. When the new Apex CF came out I was anxious to hit them. Honestly hitting them side by side with my XR Pros the peformance was very similar. The exceptions where higher launch with the longer irons and signifiicantly improved feel.

So the Apex CF seem to address my one major complaint in the feel of the XR Pros, but I'm wondering if it's enough to make the $1k switch. For those who have made the switch did you notice any other performance differences on the course outside of feel that would make you switch if you had it to do over again????

Thanks!

Would I? Probably. But I like that they are slightly bigger, and definitely preferred the feel.
I know others might be the exact opposite. Since performance was similar, it is going to be subjective.

Depends on how much price you put on feel alone. Between those two, I probably wouldn't. Neither have the solid feel I'm looking for in an iron, but they both have exceptional performance. I actually don't find the XR pros that bad, but I do agree that the feel of the Apex CF's are better in that department.

So for me, no. but if the Apex CF's give you the feel that YOU are looking for, then I might.

I would, but that's because I didn't care for the XR Pro.

I would and went with the cf16 instead if buying pre-owned XR pro. I like the sound, feel and looks of the cf16s better.

I did and am happy I did but some of the difference may be my switch to recoil shafts. Now $1k is a lot of money and if I hadn't been able to sell some stuff to help cover the cost I would not have switched. I actually would have just went back to my original apex.

If feel is worth the $1000 then I would say yes.

I don't like changing irons so it's doubtful that I'll consider anything in the next 5-8 years. My XR Pro's are better than I am.

The new Apex CF16 are just an amazing club. I'm working on a blog post on my fitting experience but the results were astounding. Spoiler alert: an increase in ball speed of 4mph. In the 7 iron! Wow. And the feel of the CF16 is so solid. More refined than the XR Pro in my opinion.

Worth $1000? Well that's pretty subjective. But I'm going out on a limb and saying that the new Apex could be the greatest iron ever made. Bold statement but if they're not, what iron is? Stunning looks, precise shaping, a 360 Face Cup in a forged iron and a face with .820 COR. what more do you need.
c8b1cb4d79daa8d82b93cb04782763ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a damn fine looking club. Wish I had the game for them. The XR Pros are paid for though.

The new Apex CF16 are just an amazing club. I'm working on a blog post on my fitting experience but the results were astounding. Spoiler alert: an increase in ball speed of 4mph. In the 7 iron! Wow. And the feel of the CF16 is so solid. More refined than the XR Pro in my opinion.

Worth $1000? Well that's pretty subjective. But I'm going out on a limb and saying that the new Apex could be the greatest iron ever made. Bold statement but if they're not, what iron is? Stunning looks, precise shaping, a 360 Face Cup in a forged iron and a face with .820 COR. what more do you need.

The more I play these the more I am liking them. The cup face is legit. Watched a guy hit my 5i yesterday that weren't anywhere close to his specs and he crushed it.

Yes. I made this exact move

thanks for this Dave. It is a beautiful looking and feeling iron.

The more I play these the more I am liking them. The cup face is legit. Watched a guy hit my 5i yesterday that weren't anywhere close to his specs and he crushed it.
i am the guy he's talking about. First thanks for saying it was "crushed" :D But it was definitley the most solid iron shot I had all day. As Emart2173 said, the iron is probably 3/4 inch shorter than my spec and not as upright. But man the contact was solid. It and it just seemed to jump off the face of the club.

These definitely have my attention.

Last edited:
I would make the move, but this is based only on a CF 7 iron that I hit indoors. Spent about 30 minutes with it a couple times and really enjoyed it.

Back