GPS on professional tours

aPeglegNinja

Reaction score
Yardage books are great. Caddies spend years cultivating accurate books for courses all over the world. Each event they painstakingly count off steps to specific landmarks on every hole, in an effort to give their player the most accurate information possible.

What if we got rid of that? Give every caddy a notebook with real time GPS information for the course. Every bunker, green undulation, pin location, et al. Golf should be about the golfer playing well, not whether their caddy is good or bad. Also it would speed pace of play. No more counting steps, no more having to guess if the bunker carry is 153 or 154. Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don’t understand the existing rules. They’re getting almost exact yardage’s anyway. Might as well let them have GPS. That would even the playing field more than rolling the ball back I’d think.

Web.com allowed range finders for 4 events last year as a trial. I couldn't find anything the reported if it speed up play or not. I would expect a couple of more tests this year as the R&A and USGA have allowed use of Range Finders in all events in the 2019 rules change. PGA Tour could still put a local rule in place that would ban the use of range finders. What the tour decides to do remains to be seen.

I don't think GPS gives them accurate enough yardage. But it would be a start.

GPS isn't accurate enough so they would still count off steps then compare the numbers. Range finders might work but I doubt it speeds up play except on the occassion the caddie is trying to remember the Pythagorean theorem because his dude hit it 70 yards off line.

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with letting them use those things I just think it does nothing to speed up play.

I'm interested in these above-mentioned events. What is meaning of cooperation in Golf Tours. Maybe, there will be extended info and I could become begginer amateur. It sounds too much your current level, and enjoy it is, the right (for right-handed player), and ball further and thus, feel. Larger core, on the top, and firmer surface best golf ball for slice. Best Golf Balls 2017: 12 new startups can help all golfers. I want it so hard!

Last edited:
I don’t understand the existing rules. They’re getting almost exact yardage’s anyway. Might as well let them have GPS. That would even the playing field more than rolling the ball back I’d think.

I agree. It will come.

Not a fan of GPS, Range Finders much easier, particularly if you wanted to find a distance to a trap, a tree or to cover a body of water. They use them in practice rounds-let them use them in a tournament.

I’m all for it but I don’t think it will speed up play. It seems that most time spent is on the greens.

I used GPS for 8 years or more. Once I got a laser rangefinder, the Garmin G6 was only turned on once and that was just out of curiosity to see if it still held a charge.

I'd only be for the use of a measurement device on tour if it can somehow be proven to help facilitate faster play.

I mean, it seems like it would but as mentioned, I'd rather see extensive time measured play on lower tours first.

I would think with the technology today GPS's would be very accurate and quicker.

My opinion is: you still have to hit the shot. Just because you have an accurate distance measurement is no guarantee of getting it any closer to the pin. For cryin out loud, they have notes telling them the contours of the greens so they know where to aim so the ball rolls towards the flag.

Back