Grip and Path question

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I tend to prefer a neutral grip because it feels "safer" since my bad shots end up playable. In addition, I usually have a moderate out to in path (I am a 16hcp). However, I have been playing around with the grip while practicing outdoors and also with flight monitors and have noticed that whenever I use a really strong grip, my path becomes neutral or positive. In addition, my smash factor shoots through the roof (in a positive manner) with that stronger grip.
In order to use this stronger grip, I need to make sure I make a full shoulder turn and it goes high, long and straight. However, the moment I get lazy, I automatically will hook the ball two fairways over.
I am puzzled why a grip change would straighten my path. Can someone explain?

I tend to prefer a neutral grip because it feels "safer" since my bad shots end up playable. In addition, I usually have a moderate out to in path (I am a 16hcp). However, I have been playing around with the grip while practicing outdoors and also with flight monitors and have noticed that whenever I use a really strong grip, my path becomes neutral or positive. In addition, my smash factor shoots through the roof (in a positive manner) with that stronger grip.
In order to use this stronger grip, I need to make sure I make a full shoulder turn and it goes high, long and straight. However, the moment I get lazy, I automatically will hook the ball two fairways over.
I am puzzled why a grip change would straighten my path. Can someone explain?

A strong grip requires less rotation of the left arm. So you get a square club face at impact with out having to flip the hands. Thus a better smash factor. It also naturally promotes more of an inside to out path.

A strong grip requires less rotation of the left arm. So you get a square club face at impact with out having to flip the hands. Thus a better smash factor. It also naturally promotes more of an inside to out path.

Do you think it would wise to keep practicing and perfecting the strong grip considering it squares the path and increases the smash factor or do you think a high handicapper like myself would be better off staying with a neutral grip due to the possibility of uncontrollable hooks factored in the equation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think it would wise to keep practicing and perfecting the strong grip considering it squares the path and increases the smash factor or do you think a high handicapper like myself would be better off staying with a neutral grip due to the possibility of uncontrollable hooks factored in the equation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A strong grip is preferred so I would practice the grip. Get used to it now rather than later.

Back