Feedback wanted on the RTJ Golf Trail at Grand National

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone played and or stayed at the resort (Marriott)? They have 54 holes on site, 1 of which is a "shorter course".

Lake and Links courses are the 2 well known ones and I believe the Barbasol Championship is played there in the summer.

Anyone have any experiences there?

Used to play it a good bit back when I was in school. Fantastic courses there. Beautiful area and the hotel is right there as well if you need to stay. Plenty to do in Auburn if you wanted to venture out the 3ish miles it is to Campus and downtown.

Been on two trips there and played all three courses. Overall, the best collection of courses on the RTJT IMO. The resort also has a huge putting green for some late evening shenanigans. Would be a perfect spot for some THP Fun

Been on two trips there and played all three courses. Overall, the best collection of courses on the RTJT IMO. The resort also has a huge putting green for some late evening shenanigans. Would be a perfect spot for some THP Fun

Does it drain well?

I have stayed at the Marriott and played both the Lakes and the Links. I really loved the Lakes course and enjoyed the Links course almost as much. Prattville is a fairly short drive over to 3 really nice RTJ courses too if you have the time.

The Marriott is really nice and relaxing with good food on site.

Have stayed there at the hotel and played all the courses. Very nice place. Haven't played there when it's really wet.

T0AD, myself and Wadesworld met up there for some golf last year. Had a blast

I have never stayed at the resort, but the courses are incredible. The Lakes is the better of the 2 courses IMO. Nice clubhouse and the food was pretty tasty as well. They have a a big range and a large putting green that is just behind the clubhouse. I haven't played the short course, but I have heard it is a nice challenge.

As Barry mentioned, he, Toad and I played it last year and had a great time. We played the Lake course and it's a challenging but not too difficult course. As with all RTJ courses, the clubhouse and practice facilities are excellent.

As a matter of fact, I'm playing it tomorrow, so if there's anything in particular you want me to scout out Mike, I'm happy to do so. I'll take some pictures.

I think I have played the Lake course twice and the Links course once. I remember enjoying the Lake course more, and it has some really fun holes around said Lake. The Links course I remember being one of the more difficult layouts I have played across the whole Trail. Those two courses are by far the only redeeming quality of the surrounding 10-15 mile radius. :alien:

I think I have played the Lake course twice and the Links course once. I remember enjoying the Lake course more, and it has some really fun holes around said Lake. The Links course I remember being one of the more difficult layouts I have played across the whole Trail. Those two courses are by far the only redeeming quality of the surrounding 10-15 mile radius. :alien:
Oh yeah, whatever, Donne.

But seriously, the Lakes course there is one of my absolute favorite courses.

Oh yeah, whatever, Donne.

But seriously, the Lakes course there is one of my absolute favorite courses.

To be completely fair there are no courses near that quality near the other school in the state.

Anyone played and or stayed at the resort (Marriott)? They have 54 holes on site, 1 of which is a "shorter course".

Lake and Links courses are the 2 well known ones and I believe the Barbasol Championship is played there in the summer.

Anyone have any experiences there?

I do but its nearly 20 years old, back when they used to have the trail sampler package (one round on each course at each site). FWIW, when my group did it we skipped the already paid for Huntsville courses and paid to play grand national again.

Thanks for the thoughts so far fellas

Last edited:
Im guessing most THPers in AL or Miss have not played it?

i play each course a couple times a year when i go visit my in-laws in opelika. they live about 6 minutes from the course. when we got married 10 years ago, about 30 members of my family stayed at the resort and absolutely raved about it. my wife was just there last weekend, and said it's already getting pretty chilly.

as far as how it drains, i've never noticed an issue.

both courses are beautiful. i might prefer links just a little bit more, but both are very challenging. to my tastes, the lake actually has more target golf than the links. but you have to be straight and accurate on both courses, or the red clay and trees will eat you alive just off the fairway, not to mention all the h20. and i can't read those alabama greens for sh1t. they look furry and slow, but they're remarkably quick for how much play those courses get.

I really like the possibilities of this question being asked. How have we not had an event on the RTJ Trail?

Please make this happen! (Hopefully before it gets swampass hot)

I'll be there for sure.

I really like the possibilities of this question being asked. How have we not had an event on the RTJ Trail?

I'll be there for sure.
Yeah, I like these statements. Especially about the swampass.

I'll be there for sure.

dude, the swampass hot is real for this trip. in fact, before too many kids came along we had some buddies who would have a fun tournament on the trail every year, and we affectionately nicknamed it the dbi, the acronym for the duck butter invitational.

it really is a fantastic place for an event. all of the courses are kept splendidly, and there's nothing like southern hospitality. it is insanely hot and humid in the summer months, but the deals are really good too.

trouble is getting in and out. airport situations aren't great in alabama. you could fly into birmingham and play ross bridge or oxmoor which are nice but not the "jewels" of the trail. grand national is awesome, but you have to fly into atlanta and drive about 90 minutes into opelika/auburn. the north courses are supposed to be beautiful, but i don't know where fly into up there. so it's just tricky getting around.

I don't see a problem flying into ATL and driving from there. At least you do not have to travel through Atlanta as the airport is on that side of town. BHM is a Southwest town also so reasonable flights should be found there. But I'm trying not to get my hopes up and get ahead of myself before anything is announced.

The pros played there in July opposite The British Open. If they can handle it in the heat of summer in pants, I can handle it in shorts.

Maybe a 90 minute drive from the ATL airport.

Back