Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Ya forgiveness on the toe has me really excited to hit these

Toe forgiveness sounds good to me, the CB3s perform there for me as well, but I have a feeling the CF technology will be that much better with regards to the miss. I can not wait to bag these in less than a month!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ordered mine last Saturday. Can't wait to get them.

Apex CF16 5 thur AW. KBS tour V90 Stiff shafts standard length and lie. Black and Purple NDMC grips.

Thought I was going to get the XP95 till I put them on the launch monitor against the KBS. Could not believe the difference. 1500 rpms more in spin and I gained 8 yards in carry distance with the 7 iron.

Hope they arrive soon..If anybody has ordered recently, how long did you wait to get them form when you ordered?

Thanks,
Joe

Ordered mine last Saturday. Can't wait to get them.

Apex CF16 5 thur AW. KBS tour V90 Stiff shafts standard length and lie. Black and Purple NDMC grips.

Thought I was going to get the XP95 till I put them on the launch monitor against the KBS. Could not believe the difference. 1500 rpms more in spin and I gained 8 yards in carry distance with the 7 iron.

Hope they arrive soon..If anybody has ordered recently, how long did you wait to get them form when you ordered?

Thanks,
Joe

Nice Joe! While I'm going into December and #TheGrandaddy totally open minded to my fitting, I'd be lying if I said the Tour V 90's weren't on my radar.

I will post my review on these when I get them....Anxious to see how they feel and perform with this shaft as a finished club. Only bad thing with these fitting carts these days is that I don't think the fitting clubs feel the same as a glued in finished club. Maybe it's just me but I feel a difference.

I simply cannot wait to hit these come december, and I have always been interested to see what graphite shafts would do for me, but unsure if the fitting place around here would paint an accurate picture...

well...

DEC 7th... ECPC... ApexCF...recoil shafts... we shall see if these puppies fit my swing... CAN'T WAIT

I'm in the process of getting fit for new irons and have tried the Apex CF16 7i with TT XP 95 stiff, KBS shaft (can't remember exactly which one), Proj X 5.5, and Proj X 6.0 shafts. I get similar performance out of the TT XP 95 stiff and the Proj X's, so now I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with the heavier Proj X shafts or not. I think I need to hit about 20 more shots with each combination to see if there is more of a clear winner.

Other than difference in feel, is there anything I should consider or any downside to going heavier?

Feel, and heavier in theory could slow down your swing.
If all things are 100% equal (meaning flight, feel, etc), go with the lighter shafts.

I'm in the process of getting fit for new irons and have tried the Apex CF16 7i with TT XP 95 stiff, KBS shaft (can't remember exactly which one), Proj X 5.5, and Proj X 6.0 shafts. I get similar performance out of the TT XP 95 stiff and the Proj X's, so now I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with the heavier Proj X shafts or not. I think I need to hit about 20 more shots with each combination to see if there is more of a clear winner.

Other than difference in feel, is there anything I should consider or any downside to going heavier?
I was told once during a fitting. If numbers are similar go with the lighter shaft. During a fitting you don't have the fatigue of an 18 hole round, so the lighter shaft will make it easier to keep your swing during the late stages of a round.

If all things are 100% equal (meaning flight, feel, etc), go with the lighter shafts.
Taking my best swings into account from my last fitting session, my swing speed was about 1mph slower with the heavier shafts, but this only resulted in 1yd less carry on average.

Fitter was surprised that my ball flight was actually slightly higher with the PX 6.0 than the XP 95.

I was told once during a fitting. If numbers are similar go with the lighter shaft. During a fitting you don't have the fatigue of an 18 hole round, so the lighter shaft will make it easier to keep your swing during the late stages of a round.
Potential fatigue is a great point and one of my main concerns.

Exactly. I was in between also and ended up with the XP95. Couldn't be happier.

Questions for cf16 owners. I have always liked staying with the set aw . How is the aw around the green pitch and chip shots ? I was thinking the set aw or would the apex pro be more nimble for these shots?
Thanks gb

Questions for cf16 owners. I have always liked staying with the set aw . How is the aw around the green pitch and chip shots ? I was thinking the set aw or would the apex pro be more nimble for these shots?
Thanks gb
Have the AW in my set. Have had it in 13 Apex and XR Pro. CF16 is a tad smaller the 13 Apex. I find it easy to use around green. Have only chipped from apron and just off green. Anything else or from rough I use MD3

I really liked the feel of the apex but the yardage gains were too much for me. I prefer a more control shot over distance. The ball speed retention on mishits were educational in understanding Cupface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really liked the feel of the apex but the yardage gains were too much for me. I prefer a more control shot over distance. The ball speed retention on mishits were educational in understanding Cupface.

I'm not going to lie, I do not understand this. Give me yardage everytime.

Thanks gb

Just replaced my Ping I20's with these. I had the UW in the I20's and like everyone else who tried it absolutely loved it. As hard as it may be to believe I like the cf16 AW even better. It just seems effortless and distance control is amazing.

As a side note I've spent the week really dialing in my new yardages with these clubs and have my first tournament with them today. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Good luck az.

I'm not going to lie, I do not understand this. Give me yardage everytime.

I'm more of controlled swing guy and with the exception of my 3w, I don't play for length on a shot. I'm more interested in carry than total distance. Don't get me wrong, the apex CF definitely provide carry, but the roll out was way more than I'd be comfortable with.

I'm more of controlled swing guy and with the exception of my 3w, I don't play for length on a shot. I'm more interested in carry than total distance. Don't get me wrong, the apex CF definitely provide carry, but the roll out was way more than I'd be comfortable with.

I haven't hit mine into a green yet, but with height and carry comes GIRs. I don't trust store sims, I will trust the numbers off of a GC2 with HMT.

I haven't hit mine into a green yet, but with height and carry comes GIRs. I don't trust store sims, I will trust the numbers off of a GC2 with HMT.

Make sense. I'm not a high spin player so most of my approach shots aren't coming in steep but rather hot and with a descent that I know is going to roll out. Swing problems but it works for me so far.

Didn't have a ton of time this morning but took a few swings with a 7 iron and really liked everything about them. The look was nice. First swing was just left of the center line carry 165 yards. Didn't look at the shaft as I was in a hurry but overall even more excited getting some time outdoors with these in December

Good luck az.

Thanks JB. The results are in. These irons are awesome. The guys I was paired with had played with me many times and after the 5th hole they all mentioned how great I was playing. Finished 4 back which sounds like a lot but actually all four strokes were on the same par three. Tee shot right at the flag and buried in the wall of the bunker 3 inches below the lip. Had it been 6 inches farther probably would have been a few feet for birdie. Hit that shot which didn't come out. Hurried second bunker shot and flew into the bunker on backside of green and believe it or not fried egged that one. Can't blame the clubs for bad luck and lack of concentration. A quad on a par three doesn't help the score but it still was an awesome round outside that hole. Loving these clubs.

Thats a fantastic start with them. Keep us posted.

These are a serious ponder for me, really liking what I am hearing on these!

Back