How Good Are You At Reading Greens?

I am good at the basics. I have a general sense of left/right and uphill/downhill. But it also has to be pretty evident. My home course has greens with a lot of subtle breaks that I can't see until after the ball has rolled over it. Even afterwards sometimes I can't see the really subtle breaks.

Most times in team events I volunteer to go first, specifically to be the guinea pig for the rest of my team to see the breaks and go from there.

You and parmuda just need to hug or fight it out.

There's a reason Dan now has a blowtorch in his bag. And it ain't for club building.

I went from not a freaking clue, to coming close to the "circle of friendship" thanks to Aim Point and getting fitted for a putter ...

I am still average at best, but before Aim Point it was just aim at the hole and hope for the best ...

Was waiting for your reply. Hahahahah
There's a reason Dan now has a blowtorch in his bag. And it ain't for club building.
You and parmuda just need to hug or fight it out.

Boys, it's unreal. I overthink it sooooo hard. Best putting I've done on Parmuda has been either early season myrtle or heavily sanded/rolled TB/Cale. Anywhere with aggressive grain just destroys my brain. It doesn't help that I never play on it, but MAN!

I'm ok at bent. So around home, I'm fine for the most part. Downhill breakers are never going to be my favorite.

It had been a few years since I played on anything but bent, but whatever the Magnolia course at Disney has just baffles me. Bermuda? I hit a few that went the other way that day.

Boys, it's unreal. I overthink it sooooo hard. Best putting I've done on Parmuda has been either early season myrtle or heavily sanded/rolled TB/Cale. Anywhere with aggressive grain just destroys my brain. It doesn't help that I never play on it, but MAN!

I think you overthink the grain stuff friend. I acknowledge if it's into or down and that's about it.

Pretty decent, but I wish my stroke was more consistent.

I think I'm ok at reading greens. I'm good with single breaks and up hill/down hill but once you get multiple breaks and varying slopes I get a little confused. I've putted on bent grass the majority of the time and really have no idea when it comes to grain.

I think I'm pretty good, but that's not to say that some holes just make my mind crumble. One green in particular at the home course is very hard to read it's one of those green where you stare at it and say it's going left but you putt and it goes right. It's one of those local knowledge holes where people say 'it always breaks to the ...' insert water, road, ravine, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty awful. Especially reading grain.

I'd say I'm just ok. Could be better, but don't know what the best way to accomplish that is. I generally only play on one grass type as far as I know around here.

Average, at best.

I like to think I'm pretty good, but then again I have my home course memorized. When I play new courses with similarly challenging greens my confidence gets hammered.

Putting up hill I feel really confident I can get it close...Downhill sliders scare me into 3 putts all the time...

Mediocre at best

I'm fairly decent in most cases, I'd say.

I struggle, admittedly. I always seem to be burning edges and rarely make putts that I hit exactly where I want them to go. While I limit 3 putts a lot, I rarely make putts between 10 and 20 feet.

I am very good reading fast bentgrass greens. Slow greens I find I over think the break a bit. Strangely, I usually read southern greens very well, fast or slow...

I thought I was pretty good at it until a couple weekends ago. Bermuda sucks! The grass grows left, it has to break that way, right? No! it breaks to the right! If at all.

I'm pretty poor at it. I'm typically really good at getting a general idea of direction the ball will fall, but tend to be off by just enough to miss the putt.

I can reads greens very well. Playing on the grainy greens of Florida makes it paramount if you want to score well

I'm pretty good a picking a line how hard to hit it is another question.

I think I am pretty good at reading greens on most types.
My putting game has really improved over the last 4 or 5 years.

I would say I'm awful at reading them but very good at getting the correct result. For me it is about what I "feel" the putt is going to do, very rare that I'll get behind the ball, squat and stare. I'll generally stand over it, sense the way the ground is moving and pull the trigger, when I miss I generally don't miss big.

Back