bendalbey

Reaction score
Handicap
TheTeeBox
So Justin Rose had a shot out of a bunker and didn't hit it how he wanted(this was today) and he then proceeded to hit the ground with his club in anger a couple times. Is this not grounding the club?

So Justin Rose had a shot out of a bunker and didn't hit it how he wanted(this was today) and he then proceeded to hit the ground with his club in anger a couple times. Is this not grounding the club?
If the ball stayed in the bunker, yes. If it got out, then it isn't a penalty. You can't ground the club in the hazard when the ball is in it.

If the ball stayed in the bunker, yes. If it got out, then it isn't a penalty. You can't ground the club in the hazard when the ball is in it.

Ahh ok. Makes sense now. Thanks sir!

Correct.

Yep. He's penalized for "testing the bunker"

You know in my opinion this is one of the most stupid rules. Your feet tell you more about the firmness of the sand in the bunker when you take your stance than any touching of the sand with your club because of what you're allowed to do with your feet as long as you don't "build a stance."

The time that Michelle Wie got penalized because a fan caught her on video grazing a small mound in the bunker behind her ball on her backswing when reviewing it in slow motion and called it into the officials who didn't see it. It was minuscule. "Testing the sand" indeed.

And yes, if you hit a bad shot and your ball leaves the bunker, you're allowed to have a temper tantrum and slam your club in the sand. I've done it after my out from a fairway bunker hit the tree in front of it and ricocheted out of bounds, and added several f-bombs. Some idiot decided that the out from the bunker was too easy and planted a tree there. It was okay for the first couple of years, but the tree grew and now the out from the fairway bunker is a chip shot back onto the fairway, effectively making it almost a S&D penalty. IMO they should make that thing a lateral hazard now and allow a drop out of it.

I guess technically you could slam your club while your ball is in the air if it's not going to make it out and not get penalized.

You know in my opinion this is one of the most stupid rules. Your feet tell you more about the firmness of the sand in the bunker when you take your stance than any touching of the sand with your club because of what you're allowed to do with your feet as long as you don't "build a stance."

The time that Michelle Wie got penalized because a fan caught her on video grazing a small mound in the bunker behind her ball on her backswing when reviewing it in slow motion and called it into the officials who didn't see it. It was minuscule. "Testing the sand" indeed.

And yes, if you hit a bad shot and your ball leaves the bunker, you're allowed to have a temper tantrum and slam your club in the sand. I've done it after my out from a fairway bunker hit the tree in front of it and ricocheted out of bounds, and added several f-bombs. Some idiot decided that the out from the bunker was too easy and planted a tree there. It was okay for the first couple of years, but the tree grew and now the out from the fairway bunker is a chip shot back onto the fairway, effectively making it almost a S&D penalty. IMO they should make that thing a lateral hazard now and allow a drop out of it.

I guess technically you could slam your club while your ball is in the air if it's not going to make it out and not get penalized.

Even worse is those that have been bitten for just brushing a blade of grass in a bunker, but it is what it is.

The rule about the inability to move loose impediments in a hazard is there to, well, make it a hazard.

While it may seem stupid you can't move a tiny leaf, the problem is, how do you differentiate? One guy wants to move a tiny leaf that doesn't affect anything. The next guy wants to move a huge stick right behind his ball.

Nowhere in the rules are you guaranteed a great lie, perfect stance, or even an opportunity to hit the ball. Especially in a hazard.

Back