Mulligan: Car Names Connected to Golf

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
So, I'm traveling down the road yesterday and I noticed a Volkswagon Golf in the next lane and thought "What a misnomer." It's not the name per se, it's the car they put it on. I just can't see an avid golfer desiring a VW Golf. It's too small for most player's clubs and stuff, it doesn't fit most player's eye when you look at it, and most of us wouldn't be caught dead in one in the parking lot of the local country club.

Now if an automobile manufacturer wanted to capture the hearts of we golfers I can think of lots of possibilities. So with that in mind, let's have some fun.

You've been made king-for-a-day in the automotive universe. You can use whatever word, name or phrase you'd like from the world of golf and stick it on the auto, truck, or motorcycle of your choice to give it golfer appeal. Have at it!

Here's one to spark the imagination. While the Ford Mustang already has an iconic name for golfer-appeal I'm going to change it to another iconic name--the Tiger. In addition, I'm coming out with a Limited Edition of the Tiger that is red, fully loaded, and can only be purchased on Sundays.

I like the thread. But technically, the VW Golf is named for the Gulf Stream. Just shows the dangers of cross-cultural car names.

The Chevy Nova never sold well among Spanish-speaking demographics. I'm told no vas means something like "it doesn't go" in Spanish.

I was doing some research on material a few years ago, that led me to autos, and more specifically, China's auto industry. That led me to an article about the latest model from Hong Qi.

But back to your prompt:

Eagle has already been done.

I could see police interceptors in a special Justin Thomas edition. It points out offenders for you.

I think some iconic golf course names could work well - Pinehurst, Doral, Oakmont, Riviera (done)

For me take an ElCamino give it all the modern tech upgrades a beefy engine and make it a 4*4 and call it the Chevy Calle. I think it means fairway in Spanish.

Hybrids are pretty popular these days, both in golf and the car business.

Overall thee car world seems to be trying to distance themselves from golf...the big thing everybody is trying to develop is the driverless car. I’m all good not having a driver in my bag, but I still want one in my car.

Nissan makes the Rogue...how about a Callaway edition?

One thing I know for sure is that I don’t want to drive a putter.

Hybrids are pretty popular these days, both in golf and the car business.

Overall thee car world seems to be trying to distance themselves from golf...the big thing everybody is trying to develop is the driverless car. I’m all good not having a driver in my bag, but I still want one in my car.

Nissan makes the Rogue...how about a Callaway edition?

One thing I know for sure is that I don’t want to drive a putter.

The ford putter. It gets you home. You just have to start it twice to get there.

We all know about the AMG lines from Mercedes. The ANG line will come in Green only, and a driver in a a white jumpsuit.

BMW and TaylorMade are already sharing model numbers, so you can now buy the BMW M3 TayloreMade edition with a carbon fiber hood and a white roof.

The F150 Duffer edition comes with a padded bed so when you slam your clubs in there after a terrible round they don’t get damaged, it also come with super tough floor mats so you can drive home with your spikes on when you’re so frustrated with your round you forget to change shoes, and a built in Kleenex dispenser. The Shank trim includes Wi-Fi and a dedicated craigslist app so you can put your clubs up for sale on the way home.

Yeah, I'll be that guy lol. I drive a GTI, which is basically a Golf with a different engine, suspension, etc. My gear changer is shaped like a golf ball. Aaaand I have to take my driver out because my golf bag doesn't fit into the trunk with the driver in lol. In my defense, I got it before our beautiful girl came into our life and I'd just lower one of the seats, making it a perfect golf vehicle for me and my dad's golf treks across the island.

"Calle" means street. I'm not sure what the word in spanish is for fairways. I just say "falle el fairway" whenever I miss. "Cai en el rough" means I landed in the rough. The green is "el green." Maybe that's just due to the Americanization of us Ricans, but everyone around here calls em with the English name.

Finally back to the OP's question - the Ace is a common term, and there are a few different logos that can be applied. Seems easy enough to market

Yeah, I'll be that guy lol. I drive a GTI, which is basically a Golf with a different engine, suspension, etc. My gear changer is shaped like a golf ball. Aaaand I have to take my driver out because my golf bag doesn't fit into the trunk with the driver in lol. In my defense, I got it before our beautiful girl came into our life and I'd just lower one of the seats, making it a perfect golf vehicle for me and my dad's golf treks across the island.

"Calle" means street. I'm not sure what the word in spanish is for fairways. I just say "falle el fairway" whenever I miss. "Cai en el rough" means I landed in the rough. The green is "el green." Maybe that's just due to the Americanization of us Ricans, but everyone around here calls em with the English name.

Finally back to the OP's question - the Ace is a common term, and there are a few different logos that can be applied. Seems easy enough to market

I with you, I think the OP makes broad statements, I'd take a golf over a mustang any day

The “Balata”. This vehicle will give you good control and the axles have a high spin rate. Take care in driving as the body will cut easily on a mis-hit. The interior does smell like tree sap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha - I was going to say, I cross-shopped my current car with the Golf. And ended up with the MINI. Throw a seat down and you can fit an absolute ton in the car.

Well, there was the Chevrolet "Bel-Air" as in Country Club. And currently there is the Audi "Tee-Tee"...

Some vehicle needs the moniker Streamsong. That's such a cool name. Any candidate vehicles?

Some vehicle needs the moniker Streamsong. That's such a cool name. Any candidate vehicles?

That feels like a special edition Bentley.

Or a Prius, Streamsong has bit of a hippy vibe to it.

pickup-truck-tent-camper-pickup-truck-bed-tent-truck-bed-tent-truck-bed-and-pickup-trucks.jpg
The 4x4 with this accessory should for obvious reasons be called the Duffnering.

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500HD-LTZ-front-view-with-trailer.jpg
The Silverado HD3500-LTZ with a 5th wheel was too long a name anyway. May it here-to-for be known as the 5th Tee.

Ha - I was going to say, I cross-shopped my current car with the Golf. And ended up with the MINI. Throw a seat down and you can fit an absolute ton in the car.

Perhaps the Mini Cooper only needs a tweak. The Mini Driver.

jagxj8_750_500_70.jpg
I know Jaguar loves their numbers and letters. But I think the deep green XJ8 is the perfect choice to carry the name Augusta.

Since Jaguar and Ferrari love their letters and numbers model names, we'll let one of them use this one for one of their aerodynamic vehicles: AoA. Angle of Attack is a cool name for such a vehicle.

Back