Vary Shaft Weights in Irons?

Philo1

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone besides me considered this?

Ive come to this idea because I just bought a set of CF 16’s from Callaway preowned and not happy with the result. Nothing at all wrong with the purchase, it said as new, and they were for 1/2 the price - I like that.

It’s that I like the way I hit the 4,5 and 7 irons, but nothing else. The 95 gram shafts are too light for me right now. So, it occurred to me that the longer irons in a lighter shaft may be OK, but not the others. I’ve gone back to my Miz 850 forged irons with 115 gram shafts and happy with the result. I kept the 5 iron and 7 in my bag, and will game them. But, I had those before, and gamed them for a while before I bought the full set. So, I may keep the irons and have custom shafts made for them next year after I test my theory for awhile and decide which I want.

if I were to do it today, I’d keep the 115’s in PW - 8, go 110 in the 7 iron, and go 105 in 4-6.

I currently game the DG AMT S300...which operate on the same principle.
The shafts get heavier as the irons get shorter.

Nothing wrong with varying weights. The dynamic gold amt as well as recoil shafts do this by design. I like the lighter weight in the longer shafts and have played both recoil and the amt in the last several sets I've used.

The Recoils I use vary by a couple of grams progressing through the set. 5 iron shaft is 93 grams, wedge shaft is 96 grams.

Back