So if a QB for your team is out for the year does the rest of the team just sit on the sidelines??? The rest of his team still ran the races and he worked his Ass off to get back in time to even have a shot.

He ran 11 less races and still had the most wins in the series and made it in to the playoffs on points.
Will a phenomenal NCAA football player, injured from weeks 4-7 and completely off the field, get the Heisman?
Same can be said for any other sport.
If Patrick Kane continues his crazy point scoring streak, but misses 20 games somewhere down the road, but comes back, he ain't winning a Hart trophy.

KB was given the 'out' of winning ONE of FIFTEEN races, which they pretty much figured he'd do, and finish in the top 30. THIRTIETH! Only 37 drivers started 30 races or more. (FWIW, 30th in points at the end was Justin Allgaier, not an especially strong driver with only 11 lead lap finishes and a 28th place average).
Way to set that bar way down there for your new poster boy, NASCAR.

In 5 more years when Nascar is completely irrelevent, we'll see who was right. They took something that had no issue (i think alot of people felt this way) and changed it to be more 'exciting'. Yet the product is something alot wished were changed... It's hard to argue that the France's are destroying the sport...

I will agree with the France comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will a phenomenal NCAA football player, injured from weeks 4-7 and completely off the field, get the Heisman?
Same can be said for any other sport.
If Patrick Kane continues his crazy point scoring streak, but misses 20 games somewhere down the road, but comes back, he ain't winning a Hart trophy.

KB was given the 'out' of winning ONE of FIFTEEN races, which they pretty much figured he'd do, and finish in the top 30. THIRTIETH! Only 37 drivers started 30 races or more. (FWIW, 30th in points at the end was Justin Allgaier, not an especially strong driver with only 11 lead lap finishes and a 28th place average).

Still comparing apples to oranges IMO... The awards you mentioned are individual awards and this is a championship. While unlikely, those awards could be won even if the teams are no good. In NASCAR, everything has to be clicking as a team for a championship to even be a realty

In any other sport does consitency win a championship or is it about winning when it matters most?

The PGA has taken somewhat of a page from NASCAR with the Fed-Ex championship. It's just that the PGA has four versions of the Daytona 500.

But, then being a youngster in Virginia, I can remember when they actually raced stock cars. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

I don't think the sports fall from popularity has anything to do with the chase. I think it is 100% the product on the track. The races are unbelievably boring. All of the mile and a half tracks are the same, outside of Bristol and the restrictor plate tracks their is no excitement.

10-15 years ago Indycar was unbelievably boring. Follow the leader for hours. Indy has made changes and now has great racing. NASCAR has gone the other direction.

I don't think the sports fall from popularity has anything to do with the chase. I think it is 100% the product on the track. The races are unbelievably boring. All of the mile and a half tracks are the same, outside of Bristol and the restrictor plate tracks their is no excitement.

10-15 years ago Indycar was unbelievably boring. Follow the leader for hours. Indy has made changes and now has great racing. NASCAR has gone the other direction.

couldnt agree more.... To design tracks with attendence in mind has kiled a large portion of the sport... the racing looks the same at these tracks and fans can only take so much. If the racing was unbelieveable at these venues the story would be different but quite the opposite has happened

Am I the only one who thinks they should add a couple of extra road race tracks?

I agree with this, and I'm as big a nascar fan as there is. They need to figure out a way to take the aerodynamics out of it so the driver have the ability to pass. They have tried to do this but really haven't succeeded yet. I also think they need to drop some of the 1.5 mile tracks and get more variety in the schedule.

The other idea I had, and this is crazy, but what if they started and ended the season at Daytona. Move the July race to the end of the year. That would definitely be an exciting final race.

So if a QB for your team is out for the year does the rest of the team just sit on the sidelines??? The rest of his team still ran the races and he worked his Ass off to get back in time to even have a shot.

He ran 11 less races and still had the most wins in the series and made it in to the playoffs on points.
Isn't there still separate driver points and team points?

Maybe not overall. But I know the Chase and the COT did it for me.

Maybe not overall. But I know the Chase and the COT did it for me.
Ha. I forgot all about the COT. I have been a casual watcher for probably at least a decade. The last time I seriously followed it lagono was a rookie.

I think it had to do with all the "driver safety" they were bragging up before the 500 in Daytona and then they have a premier series driver seriously hurt before they get there. Nascar was embarrassed when that happened and gave him an "out" to make the chase.

As a fan I was pretty pissed off at Martinsville. Penske's boys were making sure they stayed at the front in first and second and pretty much wrecked anyone who tried to break them up. That led to a guy who had wrecked Kenseth three strait weeks getting wrecked and then Kenseth gets penalized by some rule Nascar pulled out of their backside.

Back