Pay to be a volunteer at the 2018 US Open?

Tee/Ski

2024 GOLFTEC Experience at Graybull
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I submitted a request to become a volunteer at Shinnecock Hills and was selected. Received the confirmation and along with it was a voucher to pay $175. Did the definition of volunteer change? Is this the norm now?

I decided not to do it. The last time I volunteered to work a pro tourney was the BMW Open in Munich (late 80's). I was picked up and dropped off at my quarters all four days in a BMW 749 iL. While I certainly didn't expect that kind of treatment I also did not expect to have to pay.

So, to manage my expectations in the future. Is it the norm for volunteers to pay to be part of and work at Pro golf events?

I submitted a request to become a volunteer at Shinnecock Hills and was selected. Received the confirmation and along with it was a voucher to pay $175. Did the definition of volunteer change? Is this the norm now?

I decided not to do it. The last time I volunteered to work a pro tourney was the BMW Open in Munich (late 80's). I was picked up and dropped off at my quarters all four days in a BMW 749 iL. While I certainly didn't expect that kind of treatment I also did not expect to have to pay.

So, to manage my expectations in the future. Is it the norm for volunteers to pay to be part of and work at Pro golf events?

it's worth it, at least it was for me. You are getting passes for every day of the event, and then for when I did it at Winged Foot I got a couple of polos, decent jacket, water bottle.

Was the $175 for the uniform or was that in addition to the clothing?

Maybe its for the uniform and what not? To me, its kinda worth it. Especially knowing I have up close access for all four rounds

Maybe its for the uniform and what not? To me, its kinda worth it. Especially knowing I have up close access for all four rounds

Very good points. Get a bit of Limited Edition swag AND potentially incredible access for the 4 rounds (plus any practice if they need it). I'm sure they have no problem finding ample number of people willing to pay for this.

I've volunteered for 4 golf tournaments in the last 5 years, and yes it's the norm to pay.

For the PGA I got 2 polos, a jacket, a hat, parking, meals, my grounds pass for the week, and a few practice round tickets for my friends and family.

It was a similar package, and cost, for the US Open. I thought the PGA was more organized than the US Open, but I was treated well as a volunteer for both events.

Even my local LPGA event is around $55 to volunteer. Last year I was a walking scorer and got to follow the final group around the course. For my fee I got a uniform, meals, preferred parking, and enough weekly guest passes to hand some out to my regular foursome. Aside from the AC club here it was the best money I spent on golf last year.

They've been charging for volunteer uniforms for as long as I can remember, and if you don't want to pay I'm sure they won't have trouble finding people that will.

and practice rounds. One of the coolest experiences of my life was volunteering at Winged Foot. One of my days was Tuesday, and it was the first tourny back for Tiger since his dad passed(he missed the cut). But, the guy who was my supervisor told me on Tuesday afternoon to go out and learn the course, because if a cart broke down, I might be a runner at that point to swap it out. So I got to drive, inside the ropes, with Tiger for a few holes during a practice round.

and practice rounds. One of the coolest experiences of my life was volunteering at Winged Foot. One of my days was Tuesday, and it was the first tourny back for Tiger since his dad passed(he missed the cut). But, the guy who was my supervisor told me on Tuesday afternoon to go out and learn the course, because if a cart broke down, I might be a runner at that point to swap it out. So I got to drive, inside the ropes, with Tiger for a few holes during a practice round.

So awesome. I thought about trying to volunteer at WGC Bridgestone

Stories and experiences like this are essentially priceless. While definitely not the norm, anything is possible.

Stories and experiences like this are essentially priceless. While definitely not the norm, anything is possible.

oh absolutely. That was like the perfect storm because he was always the first practice time in the AM. My experience was in the cart barn, so I got to transport some players at time, but for the most part, I cleaned, parked, and plugged in golf carts, wasn't all glamorous.

I just looked at next years US Open in Pebble, which I am thinking of volunteering for, and it is $185.

$175 sounds like a steal if you are up close and personal. It would suck (IMO) to pay $175 and spend the weekend scanning entry badges or something away from the action...has that ever happened to anyone?

Usually the cost more than pays for itself by far, especially if you wind up getting a playing privilege at a later date. That alone pays for itself.

$175 sounds like a steal if you are up close and personal. It would suck (IMO) to pay $175 and spend the weekend scanning entry badges or something away from the action...has that ever happened to anyone?

You can usually rank the committees that you're willing to be a part of.

They have lots of jobs that don't require golf knowledge, and only a couple of committees that do. From my experience it's usually easier to get on committees that require golf knowledge. Then, once you have experience on a particular committee it's easier to get a spot on that committee in a future event.

I've done the shotlink (laser operator) thing a couple of times, but I'll only ever apply to be a walking scorer from here on out. It's so much fun to follow a group for an entire round. It's great when you get a big name group, but it's also fun to watch some lesser known pros grind out a score when they are trying to make the cut.

I would do it and gladly pay the $175.

Yep as others have said it is the norm at all levels now. I have volunteered at Symetra, champions, and LPGA events and paid each time.

People have already mentioned their experiences but here is another perspective. I always went to the tournaments and got a weekly pass for basically the same price as volunteering. With volunteering you get swag and maybe a free round of golf.

It is also a way to keep people from getting tickets and swag and then not showing up.

For me it is worth the cost. You have decided that it isn’t. That is ultimately a decision each individual has to make.

I fully intend to volunteer for the event at Pebble next year. Didn’t realize I’d have to pay, but still intent to put my name forward. It’s a great opportunity.

#FiberLaunch

This is the first I've heard of it and I think having to pay to volunteer is ridiculous. Considering the dollars involved in the tour as whole, asking the volunteers to pay really irks me. You telling me that the tour or event cant afford to swag people out for donating their time to help out?

If it works for the rest of you fellas, by all means go for it, but I'll find something else to do.

Some of these tourneys have between 4,000 and 6,000 volunteers so I totally get the ask for a signup fee to participate.

it's worth it, at least it was for me. You are getting passes for every day of the event, and then for when I did it at Winged Foot I got a couple of polos, decent jacket, water bottle.

At the last few tournaments I have volunteered at - the BMW Championship the last - I got a couple of Peter Millar shirts, a jacket, hat and 2 week long passes to the tournament. It was far less then buying the week long pass, plus I got to help out and be inside the ropes on the Pro-Am day to have conversations with a few of the players. Well was well worth it for me.

This is the first I've heard of it and I think having to pay to volunteer is ridiculous. Considering the dollars involved in the tour as whole, asking the volunteers to pay really irks me. You telling me that the tour or event cant afford to swag people out for donating their time to help out?

If it works for the rest of you fellas, by all means go for it, but I'll find something else to do.

I hear you, but unfortunately I have been a volunteer at few LPGA tournaments, where the volunteers got free shirts, a week long pass and then didn't bother to show up for their assignments. The tournament ended up giving away free gear and tickets to those people, so I have no problems with them forcing volunteers to pay a reduced price for their volunteer kit.

I think for the BMW Championship, I paid $160 to volunteer which more then justified the week long pass. Add in a couple of Peter Millar shirts that I still wear golfing and I am more then getting my money's worth.

I hear you, but unfortunately I have been a volunteer at few LPGA tournaments, where the volunteers got free shirts, a week long pass and then didn't bother to show up for their assignments. The tournament ended up giving away free gear and tickets to those people, so I have no problems with them forcing volunteers to pay a reduced price for their volunteer kit.

I think for the BMW Championship, I paid $160 to volunteer which more then justified the week long pass. Add in a couple of Peter Millar shirts that I still wear golfing and I am more then getting my money's worth.
I hear you there, but I'm not sure why they would hand out swag at the beginning. I did a day of volunteering at an Olympic Qualifying freestyle ski/board event, and the swag was dished out after the event and was based purely on how many days of volunteering was done. For a day, I only got a sweet belt, but others who did three days or more got swagged out pretty hard with a full outerwear setup. I'm not sure why golf events aren't done similarly.

Seems counter intuitive to me to give out the swag first.

I think I would pass. Even for such a great event I just can't see paying for the privilege of working for free.

I hear you there, but I'm not sure why they would hand out swag at the beginning. I did a day of volunteering at an Olympic Qualifying freestyle ski/board event, and the swag was dished out after the event and was based purely on how many days of volunteering was done. For a day, I only got a sweet belt, but others who did three days or more got swagged out pretty hard with a full outerwear setup. I'm not sure why golf events aren't done similarly.

Seems counter intuitive to me to give out the swag first.

In these cases, the SWAG constitutes as your uniform for the week. So that if someone on the grounds needs assistance, they are easily able to locate a volunteer for help. Much easier than just saying, go find a guy in a golf shirt.

It covers polo, hat, sometimes food, passes to everyday, oh and often a round at the course later in the year. It is worth the money

Back