Play it where it lies?

Not hitting out of rocks or a stump to mess up my wrist or club.

I will say if I find a fairway I usually do lift clean and place, and I let whoever I’m playing with if they’re good with that and nobody has said no. Sometimes we have fairways that are pitted or wind up in a dirt patch but find some grass and hit from there. No harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99.999% of the time I play it where it lies. Unless I’m not playing a hdcp round and the potential for injury or club damage is there then I’ll move it

I'm with you!

I play lift, clean, place through the green whenever the course is under winter rules or CPO.
Anyone who says they wouldn't or turns their nose up at that has never played through the rainy season in Vancouver.

I play lift, clean, place through the green whenever the course is under winter rules or CPO.
Anyone who says they wouldn't or turns their nose up at that has never played through the rainy season in Vancouver.

I feel your pain, doesn't rain probably as much but there is a lot of clay around here which doesn't drain well. Golf just isn't fun when you have a giant chunk or chunks of mud on every single shot no matter what. I am happy if it doesn't plug and I find it.

I play it as it lies.

If it's near a tree root or something that may damage my club I'll tend to just chip it out instead of moving it as well.

If I don’t play it as it lies it’s because I’m taking an unplayable or some kind of allowed relief. If anything I fail to recognize times I’m allowed relief because I don’t know the rules all that well. From what I do know it seems golf rules could be drastically shortened to say, “Whenever in doubt just do what’s the most difficult or punitive”.

Unless I’m in jeopardy of breaking/damaging a club or hitting a tree root and possibly causing injury, I play it as it lies.

I don’t get free club replacement and not playing for $$ so I’m prudent when it comes to hurting myself or my clubs.

I'm with Mikey.

Mostly play it as it lies. The exceptions are (fairway only) roots, rocks, broken glass, medical waste, fire ants, fecal matter, and suspicious seepage. Away from the short grass; I'll either chip to a better location or take a drop.

I play it as it lies or declare it unplayable and will drop with a penalty shot

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I’ll lift and replace if on a rock. I’ll drop further back if more than one rock and it would take too long to clean up. Other than that I’ll play it as it lies unless entitled to a free drop. Some of our bunkers should qualify as GUR, but I hit shots out of that concrete when I’m dumb enough to hit a bunker.

Depends on the day. If I’m posting my score I try very hard not to cheat. I’m not hitting off a root or a rock or some other stupid thing. I won’t typically play lift clean cheat unless I’m pretty sure any reasonable tournament would make it a local rule for the day because of conditions.

Winter rules would be the only time I move the ball, in the fairway.

Fun fact, HS golf in OK plays a grip length everywhere except naturally in hazards. How crazy is that?

Fun fact, HS golf in OK plays a grip length everywhere except naturally in hazards. How crazy is that?
That is crazy. Curious if u know the reason why?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I’m just playing with buddies (even for money) we allow moving from roots or any type of lie that could cause injury. We ain’t pros who get free equipment haha. We also generally give each other a break as well if there’s an area that obviously not in shape and should be GUR but no one has marked. That can get kinda testy though as some try to get away with too much haha.

If I’m practicing for tourney or in competitive play I will obviously play it down completely. Even hitting out of digits isn’t so bad most of the time unless it’s a divot from someone that completely dug to China haha. (Not making fun. We’ve all done it)

I will generally play it where it lies unless it makes "common sense" to move the ball? What qualifies as a "common sense" move? Removing ball from divot in fairway. Moving away from tree roots/cart path or rocks. Away from a swing where I may fall in water.

That being said, I could not care less what others do with their lies.

Cart path you’re allowed to move it anyways if it obstructs your swing/path/club :) no common sense or judgment needed. Just following the rules haha

Cart path you’re allowed to move it anyways if it obstructs your swing/path/club :) no common sense or judgment needed. Just following the rules haha

Depending on who you play with and the situation, they don't care, you are playing it. I've taken an unplayable because of it. And yes, karma came around.

Depending on who you play with and the situation, they don't care, you are playing it. I've taken an unplayable because of it. And yes, karma came around.

Haha I wouldn’t be playing with those people. It’s the rules of golf to get relief from man made obstructions (or immovable obstructions). They could b*tch all they want.

Situation wise, yes you are correct. Sometimes taking that free relief can hurt you by not having a clear shot any longer so playing off the path is a better choice (although my prett clubs say other wise :( )

I only play casual rounds, so....

If the shot is dangerous, ie, club swing could hit something like a tree or too much threat ball deflects to hit me = foot wedge
Fairway shot into a divot = foot wedge

Otherwise I will try to play as it is

That is crazy. Curious if u know the reason why?

Conditions in the spring suck, and to speed up play is what I have always been told.

I don't really care if anyone plays it down or fluffy it u less we are in a match or event. Then....everyone plays the same rules and no one complains about it. Otherwise....have fun. Me personally, I'm moving it if near a root, rocks etc. Cleaning it if there's mud, leaving it if conditions are not soupy wet or better.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Interesting, I can see that also it is a spring sport. High school golf in Ohio is a late summer/fall sport.

Interesting, I can see that also it is a spring sport. High school golf in Ohio is a late summer/fall sport.

I wish we would go that way, but, its football or bust in the fall here, no potential distractions will be allowed haha

I bump it to find grass or avoid roots and rocks. It doesnt matter to me really even when im logging a handicap. Handicap is about potential. Event or fun round with my buddies, if you feel you need to bump it wherever have at it. Sometimes people take things in live too serious and we all have a ton of variables in our swing that will do more damage than a lie. Just be up front and honest about it before the first tee shot and its no harm no foul. Just dont be the one to say "play it as it lies" and then 9 holes into the round start bumping because your playing like garbage

Back