Play it where it lies?

What's the fun in play it as it lies -- is this an Adam Sandler movie? :)

Winter - that's tough. In our foursome, we've agreed to roll it - a few inches. Some do, Cookie doesn't. I will.

If anything presents a physical danger to me or my clubs, I will move the ball - roots, trees, rocks, sidewalks, water, bunker, okay, kidding on the last two. I was presented with a dilemma last week. Ball landed in garbage with clingy vines coming up from ground that might have entangled the club and damaged my wrists - I attempted to clear some of the cling that would grab the club before and after the ball. Safety first.

I will play it down during HDCP season, but this time of year I may roll a ball if it lands in a bare or rough patch in the fairway.

Fun fact, HS golf in OK plays a grip length everywhere except naturally in hazards. How crazy is that?

Ok, this is just stupid. I know my kid (in middle school) does it, but you're telling me they do that in HIGH SCHOOL, too?!

I give up.

Do they make them play golf in college?

I typically play it as it lies. I’m the type that wants to play closely to the rules and wants to know what my score truly is. However, I don’t mind others playing how they like... as long as they don’t play by different rules and the talk mess if they beat me.

If they're moving their ball around and not adding the appropriate penalties, then they're not playing by the same rules and therefore are playing a different game than you so I wouldn't sweat it.

Ok, this is just stupid. I know my kid (in middle school) does it, but you're telling me they do that in HIGH SCHOOL, too?!

I give up.

I thinks it mainly because grass is still dormant when HS is playing in the spring. Here in MO they play it a scorecard length in the fairway and down in the rough. I have zero issue with that as dormant fairways kind of suck. At sectionals and state MO plays it down of course that is in may so courses are all in here then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On practice rounds, I'll move it if I'm likely to damage the clubs or me. Otherwise, I play it where it lies. It's good practice.

I’m taking a drop.

3482993ecc8715f565f7b4977c8f9e95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally situational for me. In my usual group we’re loose on the rules...

-First tee mulligan; no questions asked

-If you’re in the fairway but the lie sucks (in a divot or dead patch or whatever), you can improve your lie.

-From off the fairway: improve it if you’re gonna hurt yourself or the club, but no moving it from the rough to th FW or moving it left or right to avoid tree trouble.

-For pace of play reasons we play ready golf and we don’t observe OB rules. If you’re OB just drop one where it went out and take a 1 stroke penalty.

But if I’m in league or in a group who wants to play it down all the time, that’s fine too.

Since the club I play with has a rocks and roots local rule I use that. Otherwise if it’s for HCP (which is most rounds ) it’s play it as it lies- or take an unplayable. If not, it’s still play it as it lies really.

Tee #1 "Are we rolling it in FW's or not" ? (sorted)

For me it depends on the course. If you hit the ball on rocks, MOVE IT. It is not scuffing or damaging your clubs in a recreational game. If on a tree root, MOVE IT as why hurt your wrist. The PGA is considering allowing us to move ball out of a divot, so we do at my course. In SC we play all year round so we do use winter rules and place on grass if the ball lies on dirt on or around the fairway.

I give up.

State Championship is grip length.

I much prefer to play it down but too many course here in North Texas water the courses so much either overnight or early in the morning that inevitably the ball ends up with mud on it.

I play it as it lies unless it a horrendous lie in the fairway under winter conditions. Last year I played about 100 rounds and rolled it in the fairway 4 or 5 times.

I always play it where it lies!

Many years ago there was a guy we worked with and sometimes golfed with that did the fluff stuff but dang he would move the dang ball a foot or two or three til he had a great lie to hit the next shot from, then he wondered why we would get mad at him and not invite him to play much with us! He also didn't think nothing about coming over to our ball and knock it around and say you can't play it there if one of us was in a bad spot! Of course this guy played golf for 30 years back them and never got any better really!

I have been guilty of improving my lie in an attempt to gain confidence. Yesterday I played every shot just as it came to rest. It helps when the course is in good shape.

I always play it where it lies unless a rule is stated before a round due to weather or something. My league has a rule that you can roll your ball as long as your not changing the grass i.e. rough to fairway.

I always prefer not to do that but in some cases your stupid not to especially when most everyone else is using to their advantage.

Unless I’m in jeopardy of breaking/damaging a club or hitting a tree root and possibly causing injury, I play it as it lies.

I don’t get free club replacement and not playing for $$ so I’m prudent when it comes to hurting myself or my clubs.

This is my sentiment. I won't hurt myself, but I will play off a cart path or dirt, or pebbles as scratches don't bother me. If I think I risk seriously damaging a club, I will ask my playing partner if I can take relief, and he can tell me where I can drop.

I'll play it as it lies for almost every shot. Seeing that I'm not made of money, the only ones I wont are if it might damage my club or myself. Besides, golf is a fun crazy game where you can turn terrible lies and angles into once in a lifetime shots!... Or whack a tree and go backwards 30 yeards :eek:

I'll move it away from a tree root or off rocks in non-competitive rounds to protect my clubs.

Back