TXG on YouTube! All about fitting

Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staffer
Reaction score
Handicap
This might be the wrong spot for this thread but they cover different fitting aspects. Super detailed, informative and easy to listen to. Take a look at their channel. There is so much info and so much depth to their reviews. Here’s a video about lie angle. They explain things that you wouldn’t necessarily think about.

https://youtu.be/aiDR6hHVrHQ

Sent from HTX

I discovered their channel earlier today by typing “golf fitting” into YouTube. I’m a bit odd in the fact that I really enjoy watching people get fit for their clubs. Have watched several of their videos now and am a subscriber! Solid channel.

I watched a couple of their videos. Agree with comments above; they do a nice job explaining the details.

Second video of theirs I’ve seen tonight after never having heard of them before. Looks a quality channel, look forward to seeing more of their stuff.

#FiberLaunch

Absolutely my favorite golf Youtube channel and it's not even close. Love their stuff.

I discovered their channel earlier today by typing “golf fitting” into YouTube. I’m a bit odd in the fact that I really enjoy watching people get fit for their clubs. Have watched several of their videos now and am a subscriber! Solid channel.

I’m the same exact way. I like watching the fittings and the different tweaks. Hearing Ian and Matt talk about the face texture on wedges or mass on the tip of a shaft is super interesting. I believe Ian has some tour van experience as well. Funny they’re based in Canada when Ian has a west coast of Scotland accent. Either way they’re killing the game.

I usually watch their videos while at work when we get slow. Can’t get yelled at by the director of golf for wanting to learn about golf stuff

Sent from HTX

I’m the same exact way. I like watching the fittings and the different tweaks. Hearing Ian and Matt talk about the face texture on wedges or mass on the tip of a shaft is super interesting. I believe Ian has some tour van experience as well. Funny they’re based in Canada when Ian has a west coast of Scotland accent. Either way they’re killing the game.

I usually watch their videos while at work when we get slow. Can’t get yelled at by the director of golf for wanting to learn about golf stuff

Sent from HTX

Ian used to work for TaylorMade, then worked for Modern Golf in Canada before he set up his own shop.

The Q&A videos are pretty good as well, you can listen to those without even watching the video and still learn from them.

TXG on YouTube! All about fitting

Ian used to work for TaylorMade, then worked for Modern Golf in Canada before he set up his own shop.

The Q&A videos are pretty good as well, you can listen to those without even watching the video and still learn from them.

I’ll have to watch that one tomorrow at work. It passes the time. They’re also giving high quality info to the normal everyday golf guy. Some of the stuff they mention I didn’t even know. I’ve been neck deep in the golf industry for the last 6 or so years both working and playing.

Sent from HTX

Great stuff Gilbert! Now I gotta watch more of their videos, cool to see for sure.

It’s a great channel and I learn something from each video. Ian seems to really know his stuff.

Matt knows his stuff too. And boy can he swing the club. Talking 100mph 6 iron. DANG

Sent from HTX

Been a subscriber since day 1, Ian has a great reputation and a full TXG fitting one day is on my retirement list.

Been a subscriber since day 1, Ian has a great reputation and a full TXG fitting one day is on my retirement list.

I looked up where there fitting centers were and definitely a lot closer for you!

I looked up where there fitting centers were and definitely a lot closer for you!

Yeah...a little over 2 hours door to door, not too far from my birthplace.

I spent time watching most of the videos and liked them. The studio is nice and the video quality/editing was well done. I felt like there was a lot of good information across the channel, especially the lie angle video and the max forgiveness video. The forgiveness video has me rethinking my notion of spin off the driver and has led to some experimentation on my part. I’ll be playing my 8.5* M1 430 head at 10.5 for a while and see how things go on the course.

The one major complaint I have was the stock vs aftermarket shaft video. He says they aren’t the same, but then doesn’t go on to explain why or prove it through experimentation on video.

I spent time watching most of the videos and liked them. The studio is nice and the video quality/editing was well done. I felt like there was a lot of good information across the channel, especially the lie angle video and the max forgiveness video. The forgiveness video has me rethinking my notion of spin off the driver and has led to some experimentation on my part. I’ll be playing my 8.5* M1 430 head at 10.5 for a while and see how things go on the course.

The one major complaint I have was the stock vs aftermarket shaft video. He says they aren’t the same, but then doesn’t go on to explain why or prove it through experimentation on video.

This will always be my complaint against fitters. Especially those that build your clubs as well. They are always going to try and put you into exotic $$$ shafts, even stock might be just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I wish I could get this on the main page where more eyes could see it, but this is where these things go. Apologies in advance for its length

After watching a youtube video a couple months ago by TXG, Ian made a comment that a great fitter could literally change the way someone delivered the ball based on the equipment they had. As a full blown club ho, who spends stupid money on equipment, I've never heard this. I have been fit by every legit fitter in New England at some point over the last 5 years - you name them, I've been there. Ive traveled out of state, been there, done that. I have very strong feelings about fitting, and don't want to make this a session of anyone else, but it would be fair to say I think the big name fitters are good for letting you try a bunch of stuff, but nothing much more.

I'm a 13 that can get low 80's and blow up high 90's. And long story short I decided to drop my schedule and fly to Toronto and meet Ian. This was a significant expense both in fitting cost and travel costs but I will tell you it is the single best thing I've ever done from an equipment standpoint and I'd recommend it to anyone who spends more than 1000 bucks a year on equipment.

To start, I tried to book a full bag fitting in April, he was booked 45 days out. It was scheduled to be an afternoon one day and then the morning of the next. About a week ago I learned I needed to be at an event the night of the afternoon appointment. I let the team know and they agreed to meet me an hour earlier the next day and I flew in first thing in the morning. I fully expected the session to be cut short for that reason but there was nothing I could do and appreciated their flexibility.

So yesterday morning I went and got fit by Ian. I will NEVER again be fit anywhere else. It was a game changer. Started with irons, and was relatively inconsistent as per usual. He kept switching combos, but the amazing part was that every time I told him that I felt something, he could figure out what I was feeling and address it. Most incredibly to me, you could see the path improve. It was remarkable. I didn't believe it from the videos and it was completely legit. Best part - after he dialed me in he told me to hit my (fit) clubs and immediately spraying started again. Then he gave me the dialed in ones and once again, striping them.

Then we went to driver, which I generally hit well but not well into screens. I was predictably all over the place, though decent output. He told me he thought he could get 10-15 more yards out of my swing, which I kind of laughed at because I know my distances. He then handed me a combo and said "this will work or it won't" - which it didn't, but immediately switched out the shaft, and the next one I was indeed getting 15 more yards out of. Which was just crazy for me. Mind you, my whole bag is fit clubs made in 2017-18.

Then putter - he watched me hit three putts with mine and said "You have a pretty unique putter swing - this is probably the only putter I have that you can hit the way you want to"- and immediately the numbers on the screen all got better, you could see the roll was better. The whole thing just made me shake my head.

We then did fairways, hybrid, and wedges. No upsell on the fairways and hybrid, He showed me that my shafts were ill-fit, the numbers improved immediately, and took my clubs to re-shaft them. Wedge I told him I liked what I had, and at this point he had spent close to 5 hours with me, I felt bad and didn't want to take up more of his time given that he'd rescheduled for me. He didn't miss a beat and told me based off my swing he knew what would work, and again, you could see the difference in the feel, the numbers, the spin, and the contact quality. His instinct on what I could get out of my swing was the most amazing thing to me - I see myself as inconsistent and not particularly long, and he could see the ability to squeeze performance out of minor tweaks. Was very, very impressive.

Long story short, this was the best fitting I've ever seen, it changed my entire view of what fittings are and should be, and I'd encourage anyone with the capacity to get to Toronto to see Ian. Ignoring that is he an amazing fitter, he is a wonderful person and it's the kind of business I am happy supporting. I cannot imagine there is anyone who wouldn't get improvement in some way from his insights. He's now the only guy I'll let do my stuff and I hope very much that he doesn't get so busy he can't fit me in.

So I wish I could get this on the main page where more eyes could see it, but this is where these things go. Apologies in advance for its length

After watching a youtube video a couple months ago by TXG, Ian made a comment that a great fitter could literally change the way someone delivered the ball based on the equipment they had. As a full blown club ho, who spends stupid money on equipment, I've never heard this. I have been fit by every legit fitter in New England at some point over the last 5 years - you name them, I've been there. Ive traveled out of state, been there, done that. I have very strong feelings about fitting, and don't want to make this a session of anyone else, but it would be fair to say I think the big name fitters are good for letting you try a bunch of stuff, but nothing much more.

I'm a 13 that can get low 80's and blow up high 90's. And long story short I decided to drop my schedule and fly to Toronto and meet Ian. This was a significant expense both in fitting cost and travel costs but I will tell you it is the single best thing I've ever done from an equipment standpoint and I'd recommend it to anyone who spends more than 1000 bucks a year on equipment.

To start, I tried to book a full bag fitting in April, he was booked 45 days out. It was scheduled to be an afternoon one day and then the morning of the next. About a week ago I learned I needed to be at an event the night of the afternoon appointment. I let the team know and they agreed to meet me an hour earlier the next day and I flew in first thing in the morning. I fully expected the session to be cut short for that reason but there was nothing I could do and appreciated their flexibility.

So yesterday morning I went and got fit by Ian. I will NEVER again be fit anywhere else. It was a game changer. Started with irons, and was relatively inconsistent as per usual. He kept switching combos, but the amazing part was that every time I told him that I felt something, he could figure out what I was feeling and address it. Most incredibly to me, you could see the path improve. It was remarkable. I didn't believe it from the videos and it was completely legit. Best part - after he dialed me in he told me to hit my (fit) clubs and immediately spraying started again. Then he gave me the dialed in ones and once again, striping them.

Then we went to driver, which I generally hit well but not well into screens. I was predictably all over the place, though decent output. He told me he thought he could get 10-15 more yards out of my swing, which I kind of laughed at because I know my distances. He then handed me a combo and said "this will work or it won't" - which it didn't, but immediately switched out the shaft, and the next one I was indeed getting 15 more yards out of. Which was just crazy for me. Mind you, my whole bag is fit clubs made in 2017-18.

Then putter - he watched me hit three putts with mine and said "You have a pretty unique putter swing - this is probably the only putter I have that you can hit the way you want to"- and immediately the numbers on the screen all got better, you could see the roll was better. The whole thing just made me shake my head.

We then did fairways, hybrid, and wedges. No upsell on the fairways and hybrid, He showed me that my shafts were ill-fit, the numbers improved immediately, and took my clubs to re-shaft them. Wedge I told him I liked what I had, and at this point he had spent close to 5 hours with me, I felt bad and didn't want to take up more of his time given that he'd rescheduled for me. He didn't miss a beat and told me based off my swing he knew what would work, and again, you could see the difference in the feel, the numbers, the spin, and the contact quality. His instinct on what I could get out of my swing was the most amazing thing to me - I see myself as inconsistent and not particularly long, and he could see the ability to squeeze performance out of minor tweaks. Was very, very impressive.

Long story short, this was the best fitting I've ever seen, it changed my entire view of what fittings are and should be, and I'd encourage anyone with the capacity to get to Toronto to see Ian. Ignoring that is he an amazing fitter, he is a wonderful person and it's the kind of business I am happy supporting. I cannot imagine there is anyone who wouldn't get improvement in some way from his insights. He's now the only guy I'll let do my stuff and I hope very much that he doesn't get so busy he can't fit me in.

I love reading this but hate it at the same time.... I have looked into flying into Toronto for a weekend with the main point of the trip being a fitting at TXG with Ian. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more about this later on.

Did I miss something some where, what did you have and what do you have now in your bag?

Thanks for sharing that TM. I would absolutely love to get a full bag fitting by Ian. Also curious to see what clubs were in your bag and what is in there now.

Man, I eat these videos up now. Every single one he sidetracks into other topics and says something that blows me away. Incredible knowledge.

Thanks for the fitting recap Thornton. I know I won't be able to get fit by him any time soon, but am hopeful more THPers will be able to.

My next fitting, I'm making the 13-hour drive to Toronto. I'm not sure how I could ever trust old guy at Golf Galaxy after watching this.

Superb! And I’m extremely jealous! These guys are putting out the best videos on YouTube at the moment, as far as I’m concerned. That is such a worthwhile journey that I’d love to do. Sounds like you had an awesome experience.

#FiberLaunch

Damn, impressed and thinking...

Back