I'd love to hit these, but I won't, because then I would want them.

That is what happened to me. Laser straight. Distance control. Now if I could only putt (and drive). :D

All I can say is the XF's allow me to put the 5 and 6i back in the bag. Thankfully, I'm down to one hybrid. If I can pick up more speed this summer, I will get the 4i. Screw hybrids - that darn XF is almost a hybrid.

At the same time, the only hybrid I've had a great experience with is the PXG 0317 - just need the correct shaft. When I was a 90 lb weakling, I had a 50g shaft in it - can't do it now. Ordered a 67g shaft high launcher to see if it works.

I think cost is a concern but it doesn't have to be done in a negative way - it can be balancing.

Do I want to keep one set of irons for 5 yrs to amortize the cost at $400 X 6/7 irons - $2400-2800. Over 5 years, that $500 or so per year - doesn't sound bad if you play 100 rounds per year - $5 per round? Doable!!

Can I realistically do that or do I want to purchase the latest and greatest every year? Or maybe I am the fortunate one who thinks he can recoup much of his investment and sell every 2-3 yrs and get the next PXG set?

With graphite shafts, I can't imagine a Gen 2 being softer feeling - it would be a marshmallow, and I don't like marshmallows any longer. The 4-5 yds extra? Not enough for me to get excited about - I will wait for Gen 3 ... not ... maybe ... let's look at it again.

There comes a time when some of us can't amortize $3500 or so for 6 irons and we find something comparable. My fitter was selling a lot of Mizuno Hot Metals for guys who could not afford PXG - fairly comparable performance. Of course 3500 over 5 yrs is 700/yr over 100 rounds is only $7 per round -- AGAIN -- Doable!!

Hell, why aren't we all playing PXG's for $5 per round!

Time to order, gentlemen!

I've got to call Frank (Viola) and get on eBay and sell my XF's and 0311's.

$5 per round! Let's go ... Honey, have I got a deal of the century!
Catching up but one way to get to $5 is to contact mr Will Peoples for pricing on these

That is what happened to me. Laser straight. Distance control. Now if I could only putt (and drive). :D
Wife would stab me in the larynx.

Wife would stab me in the larynx.

No, no, no. Not just the larynx. You would be a tenor afterwards though.

I'd love to hit these, but I won't, because then I would want them.

I already know I want them. Bad thing for an iron ho to really want such an expensive set of irons.

I already know I want them. Bad thing for an iron ho to really want such an expensive set of irons.

Yep, tough to amortize that cost over 3 months...

Have had mine since around 2015, and then I bought the XF in 8-PW to round out the set of XF in 5-7i before Gen 2 broke up a set. Now I have a nice mixed set - 7-PW in 0311 when I have a big boy swing.

3 months? Pffft... Who keeps their irons for at least 3 months?

i'm into iron withdrawal ... after several years of the same/similar...

I hope my ho'ing days are nearing the end.

No, no, no. Not just the larynx. You would be a tenor afterwards though.

Funny....
I also declined to hit the PXGs when I was getting fit for irons earlier this year at Club Champion.
If I like it and want it, that would be a bad problem.
Besides, my better half was with me at the fitting keeping an eye on me. Had to behave...

The shop I go to sold a ton of the first generation irons, wedges and hybrids. According to the fitter a few clients needed additional loft added to their irons because they went too far. If I had a spare $80K I would definitely do the two day fitting/golf/lunch with Parsons experience. However because I'm a bit of an a$$hole every time Parson told a story I'd make up a better one. I bet he'd hate that.

I hit a number of irons blind during my most recent fitting and the PXGs weren't even a finalist.

Those hybrids on the other hand...

I hit a number of irons blind during my most recent fitting and the PXGs weren't even a finalist.

Those hybrids on the other hand...

Which were the finalists? What irons were you coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which were the finalists? What irons were you coming from?

Epon 705s and TaylorMade P790s. Went with the P790s. While I didn’t hit them as well as the Epons, the difference was negligible. Coming from Apexes.

Epon 705s and TaylorMade P790s. Went with the P790s. While I didn’t hit them as well as the Epons, the difference was negligible. Coming from Apexes.

I had the Epon 701 - should have kept them, but a little too big. The 705's are a bit smaller, I believe. Nice clubs. The only irons in which I made 2 birds in a row ... although the putter helped out.

10 days after public release these irons get two victories with Lydia Ko and Billy Horschel

10 days after public release these irons get two victories with Lydia Ko and Billy Horschel

I can't give it to the Gen2 - Ko changed so much, and changed coaches again. Horschel disappeared after winning the FedEx - these guys sometimes take several years to reappear after success. Zach Johnson hasn't won with PXG yet.... I play them and they've helped with long irons, but Ko lost her short game for some time. Billy was probably caught up in exhibitions after the Fedex win...

Ko's driving accuracy is 70 the last 2 yr with PXG, with Callaway, around 76 from 2014-2016, her driving avg this yr is 250, up from 243 in her first yr with PXG. Not better than Callaway where she was as long with more accuracy. Her putting is a tad worse from Callaway yrs. Must be the irons ...

I want to see her win again, and want LPGA to keep better statistics.

I can't give it to the Gen2 - Ko changed so much, and changed coaches again. Horschel disappeared after winning the FedEx - these guys sometimes take several years to reappear after success. Zach Johnson hasn't won with PXG yet.... I play them and they've helped with long irons, but Ko lost her short game for some time. Billy was probably caught up in exhibitions after the Fedex win...

Ko's driving accuracy is 70 the last 2 yr with PXG, with Callaway, around 76 from 2014-2016, her driving avg this yr is 250, up from 243 in her first yr with PXG. Not better than Callaway where she was as long with more accuracy. Her putting is a tad worse from Callaway yrs. Must be the irons ...

I want to see her win again, and want LPGA to keep better statistics.

Obviously it's not the new clubs that got either of them the win otherwise they woukd have won in recent weeks with them in the bag not to mention ScottPiercy has 680MBs in the bag. Horschel git a win last year at the Nelson with the gen1.

Just like any brand that touts a win for their players and especially after a new release the same was being done here. Gen2s had a good weekend with Perez finishing 2nd, Schwartzel finishing 3rd, Jessica Korda who isn't under contract finished 3rd and they had a second on the web.com tour.

I want to hit them. Bad.

Considering going down to Jimmie Austin @OU this summer and getting fit for fun as they're a PXG school.

I want to hit them. Bad.

Considering going down to Jimmie Austin @OU this summer and getting fit for fun as they're a PXG school.

Can’t wait to see what shafts you buy in these :D

as you say i don’t think the wins have anything to do with the irons, but it’s great exposure and marketing fodder for the brand

Obviously it's not the new clubs that got either of them the win otherwise they woukd have won in recent weeks with them in the bag not to mention ScottPiercy has 680MBs in the bag. Horschel git a win last year at the Nelson with the gen1.

Just like any brand that touts a win for their players and especially after a new release the same was being done here. Gen2s had a good weekend with Perez finishing 2nd, Schwartzel finishing 3rd, Jessica Korda who isn't under contract finished 3rd and they had a second on the web.com tour.

Yep. Gen 1 won last year, now they must sell Gen 2 and whet appetites. I've got 3 more years in Gen 1. I have a set of XF and a partial set of 0311.

The Gen 2 uses a different insert formula and one seems to gain a mph or two. Very nice. I still like the PXG Hybrid as their best club.

I’m a fan of PXG irons but IMO they are not better than the best offerings from other OEM’s. They will not help lower my scores but I like the fact that they are not in very many peoples bags. Owning them buys you a degree of exclusivity which is a big reason many brands of cars, clothes, or shoes are purchased. I haven’t decided whether they will find a way into my bag but so far I’m sticking with my Srixon’s. A year ago I thought I might buy ask my wife to get them for my retirement gift but now that it's here my frugal nature doesn't want to pay $3500 for irons that won't help my scores.

Last edited:
Back