TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

So we know from Golfspy's article that the Ping G30 had the lowest and most rearward COG of all drivers in 2015. We also know that the Ping G is slightly lower and more rearward again.

It would be interesting to know how the Ping G compares to the Taylormade M2 - which one has the most rearward / low COG (and therefore the highest forgiveness) as the M2 is obviously targeting that market now.
Wouldn't max forgiveness be dependent on the user? One may be more forgiving for a certain miss but the other more forgiving for a different miss
I'm interested in this for my bag in 2016 since I don't need forward CG options. I'll test it out against the XR16, loved it so far, and the Ping G. No issue with naming, how does this differ from AP1/AP2?
It's been talked about quite a bit. The AP1/AP2 were released at the same time. Different scenarios in the end

my local store had the M2 driver in stock today, had a hit and bought the HL loft in M flex as it suits my slow swing speed. Hitting about the same distance as my XXIO, but I prefer the feel from the M2.

chas, Please keep letting us know your results. I have been leaning towards the Ping G SF TEC, 12 degree, senior shaft but the M2 sounds like another possibility. I also have slow swing speed. M2 not available until Feb 19 here, Ping on Feb 11.

chas, Please keep letting us know your results. I have been leaning towards the Ping G SF TEC, 12 degree, senior shaft but the M2 sounds like another possibility. I also have slow swing speed. M2 not available until Feb 19 here, Ping on Feb 11.
Will do, i realy like the feeling of the M2. Still keeping my XXIO and when the better weather is here i can get a chance to compare them on the course. With my short test today it does launch higher than my XXIO and about 5 yards further than the XXIO. However i have similar number with the XXIO in the past. The thing that is swaying me towards the M2 is the sound and feel.

Me too. I dig it. Want to hit it. Set the loft and go.

Funny how I can be so excited about simplicity in a club.

I know, it's not out to mid February here officially. They had 2 drivers and had the demo m2 irons heads.

i tried the m1 and liked it, but was a bit too expensive and no HL version was available. The M2 is what i was after, a bit more forgiving than my R15 with the option for a higher loft.
Do you need a HL version in the M1 since you can adjust the loft or is there a difference more loft without closing the face

Do you need a HL version in the M1 since you can adjust the loft or is there a difference more loft without closing the face

I just hit the M2 better than the M1. i tried the 12° M1 set at 14° a while back and found it ok,but I could not justify the cost. The HL M2 just felt better and more forgiving to me than the M1, and the £100 price difference made my mind up .

Last edited:
I do. The closed face does not bother me and i get on better with the higher loft.
No I meant when you raise the loft on an adjustable driver it closes the face a little. So was wondering if the M2 is higher loft but not closed face

No I meant when you raise the loft on an adjustable driver it closes the face a little. So was wondering if the M2 is higher loft but not closed face
The face still closes if you raise the loft. I cant find what the standard loft of the HL version is in other models the HL was 13.5. Some early reviews said 12, if this was the case why not say 12 like the M1 and not HL.

For those that have tried this, how much lighter is the M2 compared with the M1?
Good question for our crew covering the PGA Show.

Anyone at the PGA show know the answer?

Not the exact difference but those who have tested both have commented that the M2 head does feel considerably lighter.

Does the M2 woods come in any different colours?

Not right now but knowing TMAG, I bet something is down the line.

Spent about half hour with TaylorMade this morning talking about everything under the sun including this driver.
Both drivers will be at THP Club Clash for those wondering and waiting for THPer feedback.

FWIW, one of the people there agreed with many in this thread on the name, but part of that was timing more than anything else. They plan to educate to help consumers understand, and know how important it will be.

Spent about half hour with TaylorMade this morning talking about everything under the sun including this driver.
Both drivers will be at THP Club Clash for those wondering and waiting for THPer feedback.

FWIW, one of the people there agreed with many in this thread on the name, but part of that was timing more than anything else. They plan to educate to help consumers understand, and know how important it will be.

Looking forward to THPer's feedback on this club.

TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Had perhaps one of the best experiences I can remember with a driver trying this out today.

So good in fact that I ordered one right on the spot I LOVED it that much.

I actually had no intention of pulling the trigger on it today. Went out to play 18 holes this morning and one of my usual tracks, and due to a skins game and tournament, we were 45 mins delayed off the tee and proceeded to have a horribly slow three hour plus front nine (needless to say, we bailed on the back).

On the way home I called Roger Dunn to see if they had the M2 avail to demo yet and found out they did.

Walked in with my fitted 10.5* r15 and Fuji fuel shaft in 60-s.

Warmed up with my r15, and then started out trying the M2.

First couple swings I could tell how much more forgiving it was, but was using the Fujikura Pro shaft, which I didn't love.

The put the M2 in my Fuji Fuel and took about 10 swings. Most felt great. The real shock came when I looked at the monitor.

My average total distance was 20 yards longer with the M2.

My backspin Avg was the same as my r12 at 2,050.

And my side spin was 200 less.

So working with my fitter (I've bought many clubs from them), I started over.

6 hits with the M2 first, then 6 with the r15.

Once again, the numbers were the exact same, 20 yards more distance on my avg, and less side spin.

Now, to be clear, by longest drives were all the same, 275 with both clubs. So I'm not gaining yards on bombs. What I am gaining is yards on the miss hits because it's so forgiving.

I do have to say I was not only pleasantly surprised, but a little shocked at *my* spin numbers. I thought I'd be going up about 300rpm (the sacrifice for more forgiveness).

Now, in full disclosure, I had about $400 in gift cards to Roger dunn, so it cost me all of $35 to pull the trigger today, so I didn't even blink.

As the club is not out yet, I went ahead and custom ordered it 10.5* with the Matrix Black Tie 60M4 trimmed down to 45.5. Went with the black tie as it's the most similar to the shaft I use and love now. I do wish that the full shaft line avail for the M1 was avail for the M2.

Can't wait to check this out on the course. Happy to answer any questions.

Sent from this Tapatalk app thingy

Last edited:
Had perhaps one of the best experiences I can remember with a driver trying this out today.

So good in fact that I ordered one right on the spot I LOVED it that much.

I actually had no intention of pulling the trigger on it today. Went out to play 18 holes this morning and one of my usual tracks, and due to a skins game and tournament, we were 45 mins delayed off the tee and proceeded to have a horribly slow three hour plus front nine (needless to say, we bailed on the back).

On the way home I called Roger Dunn to see if they had the M2 avail to demo yet and found out they did.

Walked in with my fitted 10.5* r15 and Fuji fuel shaft in 60-s.

Warmed up with my r15, and then started out trying the M2.

First couple swings I could tell how much more forgiving it was, but was using the Fujikura Pro shaft, which I didn't love.

The put the M2 in my Fuji Fuel and took about 10 swings. Most felt great. The real shock came when I looked at the monitor.

My average total distance was 20 yards longer with the M2.

My backspin Avg was the same as my r12 at 2,050.

And my side spin was 200 less.

So working with my fitter (I've bought many clubs from them), I started over.

6 hits with the M2 first, then 6 with the r15.

Once again, the numbers were the exact same, 20 yards more distance on my avg, and less side spin.

Now, to be clear, by longest drives were all the same, 275 with both clubs. So I'm not gaining yards on bombs. What I am gaining is yards on the miss hits because it's so forgiving.

I do have to say I was not only pleasantly surprised, but a little shocked at *my* spin numbers. I thought I'd be going up about 300rpm (the sacrifice for more forgiveness).

Now, in full disclosure, I had about $400 in gift cards to Roger dunn, so it cost me all of $35 to pull the trigger today, so I didn't even blink.

As the club is not out yet, I went ahead and custom ordered it 10.5* with the Matrix Black Tie 60M4 trimmed down to 45.5. Went with the black tie as it's the most similar to the shaft I use and love now. I do wish that the full shaft line avail for the M1 was avail for the M2.

Can't wait to check this out on the course. Happy to answer any questions.

How would you rate the forgiveness versus a Ping G or G30 driver?

How would you rate the forgiveness versus a Ping G or G30 driver?

Haven't tried the Ping G so couldn't say.

Haven't swung the G30 in quite a while, but if I was answering based just on memory, I'd say it feels more like the G30 LS Tech than the regular G30. Unsay that because I temper the g30 feeling like tinged one giant sweet spot, and the m2 and g30 LS tech have a slightly muted sweet spot feeling in the heel and toe.

Haven't tried the Ping G so couldn't say.

Haven't swung the G30 in quite a while, but if I was answering based just on memory, I'd say it feels more like the G30 LS Tech than the regular G30. Unsay that because I temper the g30 feeling like tinged one giant sweet spot, and the m2 and g30 LS tech have a slightly muted sweet spot feeling in the heel and toe.

Have you hit the Callaway XR? If so, can you compare the M2?

Cannot wait to get some swings with this one at #ClubClash. I'm 100% intrigued by it.

Cannot wait to get some swings with this one at #ClubClash. I'm 100% intrigued by it.

I am too.

Did you spend much time with the M1?

Have you hit the Callaway XR? If so, can you compare the M2?

I've not. But in full disclosure, I'm a pretty loyal TaylorMade guy. The only brand that's come close to getting me to switch has been Ping (love their drivers, for some reason their irons don't look great to me).

I've not. But in full disclosure, I'm a pretty loyal TaylorMade guy. The only brand that's come close to getting me to switch has been Ping (love their drivers, for some reason their irons don't look great to me).

I'm a big TM fan, as well, but their drivers for quite some time have just been, well, miserable.

I need to hit this one. Need to spend some time with the M1.

I am too.

Did you spend much time with the M1?

I've hit it three times on range, once on monitor, belongs to a guy who worked at my old course. I enjoyed it, I don't think it was as radically different like some screamed from the rooftops about it, but I thought it was a damn solid driver that I could tune and play day to day.

I've hit it three times on range, once on monitor, belongs to a guy who worked at my old course. I enjoyed it, I don't think it was as radically different like some screamed from the rooftops about it, but I thought it was a damn solid driver that I could tune and play day to day.

Thanks.

Still haven't hit it, that will change soon.

Back