Toys R Us is closing☹️

FernDog

Reaction score
Handicap
I just read that Toys R Us is closing it’s 800 stores. There might be hope that they can keep 200 open if there is a buyer. I’m not surprised with the ability to buy online but this place brings up great memories from my childhood. How cool was it as a kid to walk through there? My kids are 15 and 11 and I haven’t been in one in years but it’s still a bummer. I remember when we found out our first child would be a girl I was over the moon and thought it would be a new world for me in buying dolls and girly stuff for her since I didn’t have a sister growing up. For 3 years I walked through this place and always eyeballed the sports section and super hero toys hoping to walk down these aisles if we were lucky enough to have a son and sure enough we had a boy and I had the best of both worlds with all the cool toys. Oh well, another institution bites the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of feel the same way. I think in the next week or so I'm going to take both my kids out for one last walk through, just so they can remember and tell their kids about stores that were just wall to wall toys.

Sad how such a staple of my childhood will just be disappearing.

Some fond memories as a child were hitting up the toystores with my parents.

Sad, but a number of reasons why people saw this coming. Too many people who went there as kids failed to pass it on to another generation with toys getting into mass merchants and online.

Very sad to see it come to an end. Loved going through the old Christmas catalog every year making up my list for Santa and ever since we had our son who's now 4, I loved going there looking at all the toys thinking how cool it would have been to have some of the stuff out there today and imagine the toys he was into and would grow into.

There is a guy with his toy making company looking to buy the Canadian TrUs chain and 400 of the 800 stores in the US. He has sold his products at TrUs for a long time and wants to keep the chain alive. Just have to wait and see.

I kind of feel the same way. I think in the next week or so I'm going to take both my kids out for one last walk through, just so they can remember and tell their kids about stores that were just wall to wall toys.

That’s a good idea. I bet a lot of things will be on sale too.

That’s a good idea. I bet a lot of things will be on sale too.

Their not closing all at once according to the article I read. It said it will be a slow process so if it goes like that I wouldn't expect a mad dash sale.

Sad, but a number of reasons why people saw this coming. Too many people who went there as kids failed to pass it on to another generation with toys getting into mass merchants and online.

Someone on a radio show here said that kids are getting phones and tablets at such a young age that this has taken the place of a lot of real toys. That’s sad but true. Look how many electronic versions of Monopoly there is just to keep interest in the game alive. Although if someone asked me to play a 4 hour game of old school Monopoly I’d ask them if they were out of their mind!

[video=youtube_share;6vUEKQQm-rY]https://youtu.be/6vUEKQQm-rY[/video]

Having worked in retail for 25 years I think the shift to Internet sales really killed alot of these big box stores. That and Walmart which is the devil!

There is some nostalgia around the store. But if I'm being honest, virtually every time I stepped inside the store with or for my kids it was a luke-warm experience. And my recollection is their return policy was unfriendly to the customer. So I am not shedding any tears.

The store never really had an impact on my world, but I would imagine I would have a blast in a year or so taking my Son to stores like this with toys everywhere.

Tis the world we live in. Best price wins.

Personally I never remember going their when I was a kid and I have never taken my kids there or been there to shop for my kids, guess I was never got into all the hype for the store.

one of my favorite places to go as a kid. now that i have two small children, it's so fun to take them and just watch them run around in awe of everything. sad that they are going away, but their prices are absolutely insane compared to target or amazon. it needs to happen, but it's still sad.

I see it as a Karma thing. Toys R Us started expanding when I was a kid and they forced out my favorite local toy store/hobby shop that couldn't compete. I much preferred the dusty shelves, narrow aisles and constantly running electric train of the mom and pop to the sterile warehouse of the giant chain.

I used to take my kids, and it was fun. Haven't been in years though.

Back