Laser Rangefinder to Measure my Shots

Buster1

Reaction score
Handicap
9 GHIN
Hi guys, new guy here. Thanks for having me!

Looking to invest in a simple laser rangefinder that can help me get accurate readings of my shots. I'm comfortable with my GPS on the course and don't care too much about exact pin distances...but in training/practice I'm really struggling with collecting my average carry distances for each club. My local ranges have colored flags or markers, but very wide range tee boxes so you never know 'exactly' how far you hit each shot.

Any advice on a rangefinder that can shoot a ball at 30 - 170 yds and help me dial this in? Or perhaps shoot "the grass" near where the ball impacted and give reasonable distances?

Thanks!

Looking to invest in a simple laser rangefinder that can help me get accurate readings of my shots. I'm comfortable with my GPS on the course and don't care too much about exact pin distances...but in training/practice I'm really struggling with collecting my average carry distances for each club. My local ranges have colored flags or markers, but very wide range tee boxes so you never know 'exactly' how far you hit each shot.

Any advice on a rangefinder that can shoot a ball at 30 - 170 yds and help me dial this in? Or perhaps shoot "the grass" near where the ball impacted and give reasonable distances?

Thanks!

first off welcome to THP. for what you want out of it, it seems like a stats system like accros or game golf is what woud so best for what you are looking for

Thanks!

Welcome to THP!

I can't think of any rangefinder that would be able to provide the information you are seeking. However, there are portable launch monitors that give great feedback and are pretty darn accurate when compared to premium launch monitors. One example would be the SC200, with a tremendous review by Jman and thread here.

first off welcome to THP. for what you want out of it, it seems like a stats system like accros or game golf is what woud so best for what you are looking for

Unfortunately this sort of system relies on actually registering a hit, and then moving to the result, which is measured via GPS. This is not something that is advisable on a driving range.

Welcome to THP!

I can't think of any rangefinder that would be able to provide the information you are seeking. However, there are portable launch monitors that give great feedback and are pretty darn accurate when compared to premium launch monitors. One example would be the SC200, with a tremendous review by Jman and thread here.

Unfortunately this sort of system relies on actually registering a hit, and then moving to the result, which is measured via GPS. This is not something that is advisable on a driving range.

you are right, I read too fast, I thought he was talking about on course data.

Thanks, I'll look those up. I'm not familiar, but will check them out.

Right now, my practice shots at the range are best guesses. I've paced off my 4 wedges (Dave Pelz 4x3 system follower), but I'm not convinced my pacing is THAT accurate.

The SC200 or even the SC100 would work for you for sure. Its not as accurate as the high end tracking equipment but its pretty damn close. Welcome to THP!

Thanks, I'll look those up. I'm not familiar, but will check them out.

Right now, my practice shots at the range are best guesses. I've paced off my 4 wedges (Dave Pelz 4x3 system follower), but I'm not convinced my pacing is THAT accurate.

I use my range finder to get some distances, but most of it is at a practice area at my home course so there it is easier to get the area it landed (for wedge distances). For full shots, my best method for finding distances was getting on a trackman (indoor) or using a little launch monitor like Tpluff mentioned.

For me getting on a legit launch monitor for $30-50 an hour was well worth it. I took 8-10 swings with each, wrote down carry distances for each and threw out obviously outliers. Probably something I will do again even though I have my little monitor, for some reason I trust the numbers more on the big set up but that is just me.

Just read a few reviews on the SC100 & 200. They look pretty cool. They both received some 50/50 write-ups and reviews, but I appreciate the insight and advice. I had no idea that such a gadget existed until now. The loft limitations of the SC100 might push me towards the 200, as the 100 just didn't match up with my clubs very well and the 200 appears to be "adjustable" or programmable with lofts.

So not to beat a dead horse, but are you guys saying that a typical laser range finder can't measure a ball in the grass at 30-170 yds? I thought I read that some laser rangefinders can give distances to edges of greens, bunkers, hazards, etc? I'm still thinking that a precise laser measurement might be the way to go for me...if such a laser tech device can actually do that.

Thank you.

Just read a few reviews on the SC100 & 200. They look pretty cool. They both received some 50/50 write-ups and reviews, but I appreciate the insight and advice. I had no idea that such a gadget existed until now. The loft limitations of the SC100 might push me towards the 200, as the 100 just didn't match up with my clubs very well and the 200 appears to be "adjustable" or programmable with lofts.

So not to beat a dead horse, but are you guys saying that a typical laser range finder can't measure a ball in the grass at 30-170 yds? I thought I read that some laser rangefinders can give distances to edges of greens, bunkers, hazards, etc? I'm still thinking that a precise laser measurement might be the way to go for me...if such a laser tech device can actually do that.

Thank you.

It will, but it can also pick up other objects that might be around it. I love my rangefinder but to pick a spot in the grass, I don't trust myself to have it close to where a ball actually landed. Flags, bunkers, etc I am confident, but a piece of grass or a ball in a sea of other balls/grass I am not.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Thank you.

Range finders aren't specifically designed to pick up objects laying in the grass, they are meant more for vertical objects like flags, bunker faces, stakes, trees, etc. The only rangefinders that can accurately measure to the edge of a green is a hybrid GPS/Rangefinder, and that will not help you on a range. Sure, you can laser around where the ball is in the grass after each shot or whatever, but something like the SC200 audibly says your distance (and displays it) far more accurately, so you don't have to fuss with anything and get information on every single shot.

Back