My very first driver fitting.

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My very first driver fitting.
Set-up
To those who are not familiar with my story, I am a maturewoman who started golfing last May. Iretired and moved to Myrtle Beach where I am surrounded by almost 100courses. It seemed almost sacrilegiousnot to enjoy them.
I’ve taken lessons and continue to go two clinics twice aweek. I try to play 2 9 holes coursesper week - one a 3 par (great practice for my short game) and one on a 2500 ydcourse. I admit being a fair weathergolfer and won’t play if its too cold, too wet or too windy.
Over the last nine months my game has improved. I’m fascinated that little tweaks to my set upor swing can make a big difference in distance and direction.
I am currently playing with a matched set of Tour EdgeLadies Reaction 3 clubs. I got the clubswhen GolfSmith was going out of business. They are a nice set of clubs. Ifeel comfortable with the irons, but the driver feels “off”.
I want to see if a “big girl” driver will make a differencein distance and direction. I’m alsocurious about my numbers. I’m really curiousabout swing speed and spin.
So, I made an appointment for Monday at the PGA Superstorewith the Pro that I was taking lessons from. This should be interesting.
If you have any suggestions on how to make this experiencemore productive, please let me know.

I love seeing more ladies involed here and in golf in general, I hope you get what you hope out of that fitting, keep us updated

sounds like a lot of fun! please be sure to post your thoughts.

i've gone through a few fittings. numbers are key. you want to find something that gives you the best chance for success. BUT, and i stress this too, you have to like the way it looks and feels. if you have any hesitation, don't be afraid to voice it.

can't wait to read about your experience!

Good luck with your fitting and enjoy.

Love your enthusiasm-sounds like you are really interested in improving. I,m staying in Surfside Beach area, and the courses down here are hard to beat. Best of luck with your driver fitting.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so great to see this thread. I hope you enjoy the fitting and you're able to use it to further your enjoyment of the game. Definitely post a follow up after the fitting please.

Great to see you getting fit!

Definitely keep an open mind and trust the fitter, but don’t be afraid to speak up if something feels wrong or you don’t like it.

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

Oh wow, congrats Maric! I hope it’s a fun experience for you. I learned a ton getting my putter fitted, so I can’t imagine a driver fitting. Please post up how it goes, as I bought a full set of Solaires that seem okay except for the small grips, but I cut my putter down from 33” to 30.5” and I’m worried the rest of my clubs are too long now too.

I can’t wait to hear how it goes. Keep an open mind, speak up if something feels wrong, and have fun!

Having just gone thru fittings for my MC bag. I would say go in with a open mind but don't be afraid to tell your fitter if something doesn't feel right
If there is a tie go with what feels better.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Peace

Congratulations and so happy you are enjoying the game. I think you will find the fitting a huge benefit and wish you the best in your journey.

Awesome! Go in with an open mind and enjoy! Looking forward to see what you are fit into!

Having just went through a driver fitting I would simply say: hit what he hands you without question and do your best to put the same swing on each ball hit and the same swing you use on the course.

Have fun!

You're in for a treat. Fit drivers are always more fun. Having something that feels custom to your swing just gives so much confidence.

myrtle beach is a destination goal for 2018 for me and the golf buddies, maybe we'll see you at a course!

Have fun at your fitting!

The Fitting
I arrived a little early and warmed up with my current driver. The Pro came over and after a little chatter he asked what my budget was. I told him is was really unlimited if the club was right. He went off to select some clubs and I continued to warm up. I’m not sure if it was nerves, the crowd of guys standing behind me watching or I was just that bad, but all my drives were terrible. The crowd lost interest and moved on. The Pro came back with 4 clubs – TaylorMade M2 and M4, Tour Edge HL3 and a Callaway Rogue, all in the ladies’ version.

We started with the M2. Right away I could feel how much lighter it was from my Reaction 3. Set up felt weird and the first few hits were really off. I finally adjusted to the lighter weight, but the club felt unbalanced to me. After 8-10 balls we moved on to the HL3. This one seemed about the same, I wasn’t seeing any great improvement in distance or direction.

He then handed me the M4. This one felt better balanced and I quickly found my swing. After about 10 hits, this one went to the top of the list.

When he handed me the Rogue I felt like Harry Potter when he gets his wand. I swear the club glowed in my hand. A little heavier than the M4, the balance felt perfect. 3 hits later and I knew I had found my driver. I just kept hitting better and better shots. I was gaining 10 to 15 yards over my Reaction 3 and it felt like my swing was much smoother.

Needless to say I purchased the Rogue. Specifics – Ladies Rogue 13.5HT (set to +2 and draw), shaft -Aldila Quaranta 40 Graphite Womens.

Yes, it was expensive. It cost more than I paid for my entire set including the bag. Will it be worth it? Time will tell but it feels like it’s an extension of my arms. To me the difference between my old driver and this one can be measured in miles.

I wanted to go right to the driving range when I left the store but had prior commitments and it’s supposed to rain the next few days. I’ll just have to be content will taking practice swings in the living room (thank heaven for vaulted ceilings).

I’ll update this thread after about a month or so when I’ve been able to play some rounds and get more practice in.

Now I have to start saving for new woods and hybrids.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 1
  • grip1.jpg
    grip1.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 1
  • shaft1.jpg
    shaft1.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 1
  • Driver1.jpg
    Driver1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1
  • callaway3.jpg
    callaway3.jpg
    962 KB · Views: 1
  • callaway2.jpg
    callaway2.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 1
Congrats on finding your new driver glad it went well and it's amazing when you find a club that just feels right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oh I love a good Harry Potter reference! Congratulations, Maric, that's fantastic! I'm super happy for you, I hope it really works out for you.

That’s great sounds like a good experience.

Congrats on a beautiful new driver!

Congrats on the new wand! Sounds like you did the fitting the right way and learned a lot in the process. Never underestimate the power of confidence when you are standing with the club over the ball.

Congrats!!! Lots of good reviews on that club, looking forward to seeing how it works for you too. That feeling when it all clicks is just amazing isn’t it?

Congrats on the new stick, looks like you got yourself a new weapon. It really feels good when you have it in your hands and know for sure that it's the one!

Back