Attention all PULLers!

thecolonel

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok I'm right handed and for 15 years I've been fighting a pull left. Sometimes straight left but sometimes starts left and curves further left. Can happen with any club.

I'm confident it's not my grip or set up according to some Pros. I know I have a tendency to swing a little left(via trackman) so I know that if I deliver a square face to that path it's going left and a closed face is going left/left!

The problem is stopping it! It have tried swingng out to the right and I swear sometimes that makes it worse!

Wondered if anyone else has fought this disease! I truly hate looking up and seeing that ball immediately going left! Also a lot of my best strikes go left...

And if I hit down on the ball holy smokes it goes way left!

Any help/thoughts appreciated

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I do this.

My cause is my left arm "sticking" to my body and dragging the club round. When I feel like my hands are more in front of my body and staying in line with my target through impact I get a straight to small draw with my irons.

I've had this issue. It usually was from me stopping my turn. Get that belt buckle pointing at the target and exaggerate your finish.
Also, golf is counterintuitive. Crazy enough, when your ball is going left, swinging more right can make it go even more left, and usually with a hook.

You should try and do a video of your swing and post it, Panda will be able to help you for sure.

What snickerdog said. Post a video. A path that is in to out (swinging to the right, if you’re right handed) is going to escalate that pull hook. Could be a few things. Have you been fitted before? If so did they examine your lie angle?

Sent from HTX

What snickerdog said. Post a video. A path that is in to out (swinging to the right, if you’re right handed) is going to escalate that pull hook. Could be a few things. Have you been fitted before? If so did they examine your lie angle?

Sent from HTX
Isn't a straight pull from an OTT swing path with a square clubface?
So many different things can play into it though so getting some video definitely would be best.

So many different things can play into it though so getting some video definitely would be best.

A pull is the face and path being the same. For a righty, outside to in swing of 3 degrees, face was 3 degrees closed to target line. Straight pull!

For me, it was usually caused by some combination of hanging back and/or loss of spine angle/early extension. My fix for both was correcting the angle of my shoulder turn as it was too flat sometimes.

Video would be best for someone to determine exactly what is going on in your swing (from the front and down the line).

Last edited:
For me, it was usually caused by some combination of hanging back and/or loss of spin angle/early extension. My fix for both was correcting the angle of my shoulder turn as it was too flat sometimes.

Video would be best for someone to determine exactly what is going on in your swing (from the front and down the line).
This is 100% what goes on when it happens to me. Shoulder turn gets flat, I get stuck hanging back, pull the ball off the planet.

I have issues with this for sure. My longer clubs and mainly my driver are what can get out of control. The clubhead will get just slightly outside of my hands about halfway down on my downswing which forces the club to cut across the face. The other problem is seeing the ball go way right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTT with closed will cause a pull. OTT with square will cause a fade. OTT with open will cause a slice. Only way to see would be a DTL video. Only reason I mentioned lie angle is because I have a tendency to hook to ball because my clubs are slightly upright. Heel digs in and the face turns over. There’s SO many factors to this

Sent from HTX

OTT with closed will cause a pull. OTT with square will cause a fade. OTT with open will cause a slice. Only way to see would be a DTL video. Only reason I mentioned lie angle is because I have a tendency to hook to ball because my clubs are slightly upright. Heel digs in and the face turns over. There’s SO many factors to this

Sent from HTX

You are thinking square to target. Moose was thinking square to the path. It’s more common and probably industry standard to think of face in relationship to the path and not the target line.

I've had this issue. It usually was from me stopping my turn. Get that belt buckle pointing at the target and exaggerate your finish.
Also, golf is counterintuitive. Crazy enough, when your ball is going left, swinging more right can make it go even more left, and usually with a hook.
Same issue here. Fix is really getting back to my left side, though this is still a struggle to do consistently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I do this too. One thing I really focus on is extending through the ball. I find my right hand flips over top of my left hand too fast so the club face just hits the ball closed. One key for me is to take a few half swings at a slow pace and on the follow through maintain full extension till the club is parallel to the ground. Almost like I am trying to throw the club down range on the same line as the ball. This helps me keep from exiting full extension too on the down and through swing.

I did it all day long yesterday, but opposite since I'm lefty. Thinking it over, I think the problem was too much tempo. Simply swinging too hard. I'm going to try and slow down today to see if this fixes it, but it's the hardest thing to do sometimes. When I was warming up before the game and just swinging easy, everything was going right out in front of me where it belongs.

Surprised to see most recent DTL is 2 yrs old! But I reckon whilst the feels and intentions have changed, the swing itself probably hasn't! However I'll try get another one soon

Back story.... My handicap is 7, nearly got to 5. I would describe myself as a short hitter, good with woods & hybrids, poor with irons, short game can be very good, on its day! Friends say my accuracy is my strength but for me the left shot costs me too many strokes overall.

My thinking is that with my lack of length(drives 220, 7i 128.... Yes, there are par 4's I play that occasionally I just can't reach) I can barely afford to hit ANY shots offline! And nor should I, as my speed is low and my ryhthm is good. I think there's a technical glitch as to why I hit left and if can cure it then I'm in business. Again for me, there should be no excuse for hitting it left... NONE! I'd prefer to lose it slightly right, I feel like I could correct that with the very next swing!

Some comments on your comments thus far;

-flat shoulder turn =guilty as charged!
-lazy hips at impact =ditto!

Also I'm pretty sure I might be an early hitter. And logic says to me that if you hit 'early' then by the time the clubhead gets to the ball it's already looking left!

Ps update.... I played today and worked hard on really clearing the hips hard. When I do this I really feel like I'm swinging MORE left(and faster!) However I put into play and was amazed that the ball never started left, if anything my start line was more right! On the back 9, as I tired, I hit a couple 'left' but they were perfectly playable. Suffice to say I'm going stick with the aggressive hip turn even though it feels more 'pully' than before! Thanks all

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5aae817a2c660/20130817_202306_Android.mp4

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Back