Rory McIlroy says alcohol sales should be limited at tour events

I don’t think it’s an issue for that many guys. I watched a great deal of golf this week at API. The crowds were only loud around marquee players. The journey men had zero noise around them. For the most part people are very respectful of the players.

that’s not what i meant. i meant the guys who are aware that it happens - maybe not to them but to other players - agree that it’s an issue. if a journeyman has a great week and ends up in the final group paired with a star who has to deal with this garbage, i would bet money that he takes up the cause at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually don't agree. Some people act like complete jackwagons without a drop of alcohol, some can have 10 beers and be completely civil (as long as they're not driving what does that hurt), other will just pre drink and still be get completely out of hand with the 4 beers consumed at the event. I think it's the event directors that need to empower the security staff to remove unruly attendees. The crowds just have to be policed more strictly, but I think it's also event dependent. I really don't think the Waste Management wants to reign in its patrons, then what is that event really?

Rory McIlroy says alcohol sales should be limited at tour events

If I were making the rules, any kind of attention grabbing outbursts at or near the finish of a players swing would be outlawed, and ejection warranted. Booze or not.

Cheering for a great shot is OK. Shouting meaninglessly and immediately upon contact is dumb and distracting

I don't agree. I think people need to exercise some damn self control and realize that yelling dumb sh!t like 'dilly dilly', 'ba ba booey', etc is totally unnecessary and is straight up obnoxious. While alcohol may contribute to this behavior, limiting or eliminating it won't get rid of people being obnoxious.

Good luck selling VIP tickets to the grey goose box seats when you tell people there is a limit on drinks.

We took an Uber to API. It dropped me off by 10 green. Zero security at this gate. I could have brought anything into the event.

What if two beers gets you drunk? I mean, everyone has their own tolerance. We should I be limited to 4 beers? I’m capable of acting civil after 4 beers. Why isn’t twocan Sam held to the same standard?

If two beers gets someone drunk, I seriously doubt they are going to be at a PGA Tour event being belligerent. There is a certain type of person that causes this kind of problem, and I bet a high number of them are two deep before they even start pondering a buzz let alone drunk.

I respect Rory for coming out and saying it. The Tour is his workplace, and he's got every right to voice his opinion on something I actually strongly agree with.

The idea of a wrist band that can only have four punches on it is brilliant. Would limit this and still allow the tourneys to get paid from sales.

It will never happen, too much $$$ to be made. The only thing they could do is shut off alcohol sales after a certain time like they do at some sporting events. I've found that most idiots at sporting events are idiots with or without alcohol (although alcohol does escalate the situation). They aren't too hard to find and if security was serious about policing them they could (unless truly understaffed).

I'd be just fine with limiting alcohol sales, but I also agree with Wake that tourney officials need to kick idiots out who cause a ruckus, because that is happening even without alcohol. It's too bad that a golf tournament is becoming something that is not as family friendly as it used to be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I call it the tiger woods effect....he has brought so much to the game we all love including asshats that would have never even thought about watching or playing the game we love and alcohol sales are all part of the huge attendance at the events its revenue. I have been to the waste management tournament in Phoenix a few times and I believe it’s a bit much at times but it’s not all fueled by alcohol some people are just a**holes alcohol or not. It’s all a part of growing the game we love unfortunately and limiting alcohol will not keep them from obtaining it one way or another it’s my opinion we just need to kick out the asshats as needed just my 2 cents

It will never happen, too much $$$ to be made. The only thing they could do is shut off alcohol sales after a certain time like they do at some sporting events. I've found that most idiots at sporting events are idiots with or without alcohol (although alcohol does escalate the situation). They aren't too hard to find and if security was serious about policing them they could (unless truly understaffed).

Well said

they throw $10 tallboys from the stands at Blue Jays games
That's between 7.50 and 8.00 in US dollars. Pretty average for a sporting event.

But I also have common sense and rarely buy alcohol at sporting events because it costs too damned much.

That's between 7.50 and 8.00 in US dollars. Pretty average for a sporting event.

But I also have common sense and rarely buy alcohol at sporting events because it costs too damned much.
Hahaha, same.

I'm cheap in that regard.

I had pre-calculated the exchange... "Import" 16oz cans are $13 CAD

How about just police the fans that cause problems? Yell something inappropriate? You're out. Be an ass to other fan? You're out. Thats eems mich easier to enforce than a drink limit to me.

I agree 1000%

I think going after the behavior and not the alcohol. Like some said, I’ve seen some guys go nuts after a couple, and one buddy I have can drink a case and be fine (probably a rare exception). But if you just enforce the rules, let people drink all they want, but if their going to be jack wagons toss them out. Myself, I can drink 6-12 beers and be fine, so I won’t be spending $50-$100 on alcohol, nothing better than a $8 coors light.

Start booting out dumb fans and this takes care of itself. I understand his point though 100%, these idiots make it tough to watch a tournament.

Start booting out dumb fans and this takes care of itself. I understand his point though 100%, these idiots make it tough to watch a tournament.

Totally agree man, get them out of the tournament, there's got to be an end result for stupidity that has consequences, sad thing is they'll get in a car and try to drive home

I agree. The worst thing about watching any golf on TV is hearing what all the asshats shout. Just throw them out.

I agree with Rory 100%, would you want people coming into your workplace acting like a-holes? I think the punch card wristband is a great idea as opposed to a card that can be passed around. Also establish a zero tolerance for a-hole conduct policy, boot them out immediately. It's disrespectful for the players and the fans around them and they should not have to deal with that BS.

I like the idea of shutting off alcohol sales or even better starting them a little later in the day. It seems at tournaments, alcohol is available starting very early in the day through the rest of the day.

I feel like people will just get around wrist bands. All you need is one of or two people in your group with wristbands that don't drink.

I do think there also needs be more enforcement by security.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I see it as a failure of security/stewards to enforce a code of conduct and for people to be respectful of themselves other people and their surroundings.

And why punish the many sensible golf fans at an event when it's the few who cause the problem with over indulgence. I don't see a punch card or wristbands for drinks or a price increase working. People don't cheap-out at these events, they just go with the flow. Just crack down on bad behavior and boot them and maybe add them to a band list of names for future ticket sales.

The Master's doesn't have this problem and the alcohol is probably the cheapest at any mass sporting event you'll visit, in-fact the whole food and drink set up is probably the best set up I've ever seen and should be copied. While I did see one or two fools a bit the worse for the ware they were dealt with quickly and quietly by security/stewards. If they can do without fuss why can't others.

My observation is there have now been several comments from several people about bad behavior. Can't chalk it up to any one person having thin skin. It needs to be dealt with. The solution is probably multi-pronged - limit boooze, enforce rules, etc. it isn't that hard, event organizers just have to have some willpower. As an example, I don't recall hearing any stories about obnoxious drunk people at the Masters. It can be done.

If two beers gets someone drunk, I seriously doubt they are going to be at a PGA Tour event being belligerent. There is a certain type of person that causes this kind of problem, and I bet a high number of them are two deep before they even start pondering a buzz let alone drunk.

I ran into two such guys on Friday. They were over served and acting a fool. They made comments about two women and were quickly told to shut it down. Didn’t hear a peep out of them the rest of time we stood there.

My point is that there are knowledgeable fans that will squash any shenanigans. I think if Rory were playing better, he might not notice. I surprised he is as low as he is with his poor ball striking.

My observation is there have now been several comments from several people about bad behavior. Can't chalk it up to any one person having thin skin. It needs to be dealt with. The solution is probably multi-pronged - limit boooze, enforce rules, etc. it isn't that hard, event organizers just have to have some willpower. As an example, I don't recall hearing any stories about obnoxious drunk people at the Masters. It can be done.

I was just thinking the same thing. I heard 1 guy yell something stupid the week I was there and they tossed him, kept his badge and it was mid morning.

Back