Rory McIlroy says alcohol sales should be limited at tour events

But is The Masters a normal tour stop?

Nope, but something could be learned if they wanted to look into it more. If the tour doesn't think it's a problem then play on. But if expectations are set and consequences are made know then change in behavior can happen.

Yup, people are asssholes. Way of the world. Doesn't sound fair that a few people ruin it for everybody, but life isn't fair. While making a tournament dry isn't really possible, limiting consumption is doable. Wouldn't be hard.

No problem limiting it, but your previous statement said make it dry.

No problem limiting it, but your previous statement said make it dry.
I would be curious to see one go dry. Just as an experiment.

The Masters doesn't have general admission either. The Masters can afford to throw people out. That's not a terribly fair comparison.
No general admission, but clear expectations for patrons that are strictly enforced. Huge attendance is great for the charities that benefit from the regular tour stops. All I am saying is have a policy, enforce it strictly, and people will respect it (eventually) no matter how much they've had to drink.

No general admission, but clear expectations for patrons that are strictly enforced. Huge attendance is great for the charities that benefit from the regular tour stops. All I am saying is have a policy, enforce it strictly, and people will respect it (eventually) no matter how much they've had to drink.
A couple of weeks ago when that idiot yelled during Tiger's putting stroke and there was video of security *not* throwing that guy out, that's a huge problem.

In no way am I saying that knobheads shouldn't be ejected. I'm just saying alcohol does okay a role.

HAHAHAHAHA

Comparing this to Prohibition is silly and kind of missing the point. Of course, you have to boot problems. But you can only boot people after they have been a problem. Best way to nip that in the bud, be selective with who gets into a PGA Tour gallery, keep the alcohol out of peoples' hands.

My post probably came off as dismissive or rude, and that wasn’t my intent, so my apologies for that.

My point about prohibition was that people will find a way to get booze and that leads to much more significant problems. One of the things about having people be served is that there is someone (in theory) who’s watching them and can stop or reduce their flow of alcohol. Ever notice that the drunk guy is always the one whining about slow service in a bar? That’s not coincidence, it’s a tactic used to keep patrons from getting too drunk, one of many that can be employed. All of that becomes impossible when patrons have a flask taped to their leg, or a wine bra full of everclear.

Removing alcohol entirely just makes more people break the rules and drink more than they might normally, and more likely to drink stouter stuff, instead of $10 Coors Light, they’re sipping a 36 oz bottle of Jim Beam or similar, with no one paying attention to how drunk they’re getting until they’re a nuisance.

Making a habit of booting obnoxious behavior takes longer, but is more effective in the long run. People don’t think about breaking the rules at Augusta because the consequences are well known, and handily enforced. If more tour stops took that attitude the issue would sort itself out rather quickly.

My post probably came off as dismissive or rude, and that wasn’t my intent, so my apologies for that.

My point about prohibition was that people will find a way to get booze and that leads to much more significant problems. One of the things about having people be served is that there is someone (in theory) who’s watching them and can stop or reduce their flow of alcohol. Ever notice that the drunk guy is always the one whining about slow service in a bar? That’s not coincidence, it’s a tactic used to keep patrons from getting too drunk, one of many that can be employed. All of that becomes impossible when patrons have a flask taped to their leg, or a wine bra full of everclear.

Removing alcohol entirely just makes more people break the rules and drink more than they might normally, and more likely to drink stouter stuff, instead of $10 Coors Light, they’re sipping a 36 oz bottle of Jim Beam or similar, with no one paying attention to how drunk they’re getting until they’re a nuisance.

Making a habit of booting obnoxious behavior takes longer, but is more effective in the long run. People don’t think about breaking the rules at Augusta because the consequences are well known, and handily enforced. If more tour stops took that attitude the issue would sort itself out rather quickly.
The bottom line is the PGA venues have to make a decision to kick people out who act like an ass. Liquid courage makes people really stupid. Limit their intake and less problems.

The bottom line is the PGA venues have to make a decision to kick people out who act like an ass. Liquid courage makes people really stupid. Limit their intake and less problems.

Yes. Absolutely. It’s on each venue/tournament/sponsor to make the call and boot the jackwagons. Limiting alcohol intake is important for sure. There are inexpensive ways to do it too.

Hire real bartenders for starters, people who deal with it all the time and take 0 crap from drunks.

Another super cheap option would be to give away a bottle of water with each drink, that lessens the trips for people and hopefully keeps them hydrated and helps reduce the sudden onset drunk.

Yes. Absolutely. It’s on each venue/tournament/sponsor to make the call and boot the jackwagons. Limiting alcohol intake is important for sure. There are inexpensive ways to do it too.

Hire real bartenders for starters, people who deal with it all the time and take 0 crap from drunks.

Another super cheap option would be to give away a bottle of water with each drink, that lessens the trips for people and hopefully keeps them hydrated and helps reduce the sudden onset drunk.
Prepaid cards with a four drink limit. Can only buy alcohol on those cards. If Chuck e Cheese can do it with skeetball, so can a PGA Tour stop with beer.

Prepaid cards with a four drink limit. Can only buy alcohol on those cards. If Chuck e Cheese can do it with skeetball, so can a PGA Tour stop with beer.

Pairing those with a picture ID is an excellent starting point, you’ll still have drunks scamming the system somehow, but make it hard enough and the consequences steep enough and it will limit the issues drastically.

Pairing those with a picture ID is an excellent starting point, you’ll still have drunks scamming the system somehow, but make it hard enough and the consequences steep enough and it will limit the issues drastically.
Booted from the event and a citation for public intoxication. Seems simple enough.

Back