Rory McIlroy says alcohol sales should be limited at tour events

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I agree. Make it a 4 beer limit or something of the sort. Give out wrist bands that have punches. Once you have 4 punches you're done.

I agree, I hate when “that guy/or girl” gets too hammered and becomes a neusance. Only way to not over serve is record an I.d. Each time a purchase is made and have a cut off limit, but others will purchase for others and they make so much money off of booze that’s a huge cut to the financial intake for each event.

Agreed. Limited sales. Determine a daily allowable limit, scan your ticket at purchase, when limit is reached, your cut off. I understand there will be some ticket borrowing, but the unruly idiots need to be stopped at all sporting events.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure how you could police something like that. Fans tend to get nutty no matter what. The fact that Rors is complaining should make it worse for him. He sounds like Colin M. Colin used to get blasted by the fans.

I agree 100%. I went to my first PGA event last year at the Colonial and I couldn't believe how many people were absolutely wasted and hovering around the greens. It was bananas. Golf has always maintained a level of class and dignity IMO and that should be protected.

I’m not sure how you could police something like that. Fans tend to get nutty no matter what. The fact that Rors is complaining should make it worse for him. He sounds like Colin M. Colin used to get blasted by the fans.

Forgot about Colin......I was at the u.s. open at southern hills years ago and he got roasted every minute he was out there by the fans.

How about just police the fans that cause problems? Yell something inappropriate? You're out. Be an ass to other fan? You're oit. Thatseems mich easier to enforce than a drink limit to me.

I agree and easy to do. Wrist bands or punch cards. Problem comes into play with the hospitality tents that’s all you can drink.

Triple the price that will help limit sales

i can see how rors would get lit up over saying it, but isn’t it what 90% of the guys on tour are thinking too? he just has the balls to say it?

drink tickets or scanning wristbands will limit the majority. sure some will still circumvent, but it will be very few and can be identified and dealt with quickly.

but i agree about hospitality tents and vip tix. maybe a security person can be present in those areas and deal with the worst offenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people are going to be obnoxious with or without getting sauced up. Really don't think limiting sales will solve the issue. People can sneak it in, get loaded before entering the event, etc. Professional athletes, whether it be golf or other sports, just have to be thick skinned at times. People get crazy about and at sporting events and that will never change.

I agree and easy to do. Wrist bands or punch cards. Problem comes into play with the hospitality tents that’s all you can drink.

We took an Uber to API. It dropped me off by 10 green. Zero security at this gate. I could have brought anything into the event.

What if two beers gets you drunk? I mean, everyone has their own tolerance. We should I be limited to 4 beers? I’m capable of acting civil after 4 beers. Why isn’t twocan Sam held to the same standard?

I think a lot of places should have a drinking limit (2 beers max). I know it would be viewed in a negative light but it would make the venue more enjoyable.

It's too bad people can't have a great time without becoming complete jackoffs. The collective drunken morons are going to ruin it for everyone else.

We took an Uber to API. It dropped me off by 10 green. Zero security at this gate. I could have brought anything into the event.

What if two beers gets you drunk? I mean, everyone has their own tolerance. We should I be limited to 4 beers? I’m capable of acting civil after 4 beers. Why isn’t twocan Sam held to the same standard?

It’s a slippery slope for sure . I call it the Wast Management effect. All the tour stops think they need to be like them.

As far as tolerance, you have a great point and one that’s hard to police. I think I’m the end the solution might be to start removing the idiots from the property and start making examples.

I’m all for having fun with golf and routing on your favorite guys, but the personal attacks and some of the outbursts don’t belong imo.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...ing-alcohol-sales-necessary-calm-abusive-fans

I don’t know how it could be policed. Maybe drink cards? But I’m with him. I don’t like the unruly behavior. It happens at many other sports, but I don’t want it in golf.

What say you?

It should be regulated the same way a bar is regulated. Bartenders have a responsibility to stop serving someone who is clearly intoxicated. Events need to train and empower those who serve alcohol that they can say no to someone if they are intoxicated. If someone were to leave a tournament and injure themselves or someone else in a drunk driving incident the tournament and the person who over-served could potentially be held responsible.

It’s a slippery slope for sure . I call it the Wast Management effect. All the tour stops think they need to be like them.

As far as tolerance, you have a great point and one that’s hard to police. I think I’m the end the solution might be to start removing the idiots from the property and start making examples.

I’m all for having fun with golf and routing on your favorite guys, but the personal attacks and some of the outbursts don’t belong imo.

They should have a zero tolerance policy. If you have a negative outburst, you gots to go. People will calm down and ease off once people start getting tossed out.

Rory McIlroy says alcohol sales should be limited at tour events

i can see how rors would get lit up over saying it, but isn’t it what 90% of the guys on tour are thinking too? he just has the balls to say it?

drink tickets or scanning wristbands will limit the majority. sure some will still circumvent, but it will be very few and can be identified and dealt with quickly.

but i agree about hospitality tents and vip tix. maybe a security person can be present in those areas and deal with the worst offenders.

I don’t think it’s an issue for that many guys. I watched a great deal of golf this week at API. The crowds were only loud around marquee players. The journey men had zero noise around them. For the most part people are very respectful of the players.

If someone appears to be close to over served, you don’t serve them. Period. I work at a concession stand for NFL, MLS, and NCAA games. If we think someone is close to drunk, we have every right not to serve them and we are backed up every single time someone starts to make a stink about it. The same can be done at PGA events, which takes care of the tolerance issue.

Will people still get drunk and act like idiots? Of course. But you can certainly help curtail it at events.

But like others have said, some people are just idiots and go to events for the expressed purpose of acting like an idiot. Just boot ‘em.

Rory needs to something to take his mind off the fact he is apparently lost his ability to be a dominant force on the PGA Tour.

He's right, and it's not just with beer, it's with hard alcohol that is also being served as he points out in the article.

We are also talking about an all day event. I'm hardly a heavy drinker with a high tolerance, but I can drink 6 drinks over the course of an event and be far from intoxicated.

The ticket is enforce the code of conduct, not to get rid of the alcohol.

I'd be just fine with limiting alcohol sales, but I also agree with Wake that tourney officials need to kick idiots out who cause a ruckus, because that is happening even without alcohol. It's too bad that a golf tournament is becoming something that is not as family friendly as it used to be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The reason why they will not stop serving alcohol is because they make way to much money.
Sure they could police the crowd better. I see it at Pats games all the time. People getting tossed for bad behavior.

They could stop alcohol sales tomorrow but we know thats not going to happen.

But it's purely money driven in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back