Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I've hade two LM sessions with the 7i with XP 95 stiff shafts. Unreal distances and solid dispersion. My weakest toe strike launched mid, was 14 yds right and carried 165. Typically I was seeing 170-180 carry and +/- 6 yeasts of center. But I won't get domestic approval for a $1200 spend so...how significantly better are these than xr pros? I care more about down the course results than feel or aesthetics.

Last edited:
I've hade to LM sessions with the 7i with XP 95 stiff shafts. Unreal distances and solid dispersion. My weakest toe strike launched mid, was 14 yds right and carried 165. Typically I was seeing 170-180 carry and +/- 6 yeasts of center. But I won't get domestic approval for a $1200 spend so...how significantly better are these than xr pros? I care more about down the course results than feel or aesthetics.

I have a feeling his thread is going to get flooded with feedback after The Grandaddy. I'm using original Apex now, so I'll be able to give direct comparisons to those irons. Only hit the XR pros a few times.

I have a feeling his thread is going to get flooded with feedback after The Grandaddy. I'm using original Apex now, so I'll be able to give direct comparisons to those irons. Only hit the XR pros a few times.
I'm really looking forward to all the commentary from you guys. It's the best source of product Intel.

Apex 16

Apex 16

Christmas came early this year.....Leaving work early to start working on these!!!!!!

Attachments

• apex16.jpg
    apex16.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
That's great. Looking forward to your feedback

Nice new sticks! I'm going to get my second round with these in tomorrow. Hoping the adjustments I made on the back nine last round carry over. If so it might be a magical round!

I think that these fit me just based on that feedback, toe is my miss and to know they still perform out there is crucial

My fitter suggested 1/2" longer shafts to help with my consistent toe strikes.

Anyone else ever heard that suggestion?

As for distance gains with these, over my Adams Redline (which have similarly strong lofts), I think it's 10ish yards. I've hit the demo 7i on the course to 160-170+ yd par 3s, which with my Redline I'd probably try to hit a normal 6i. I've had similar results with several different shafts.

As for distance gains with these, over my Adams Redline (which have similarly strong lofts), I think it's 10ish yards. I've hit the demo 7i on the course to 160-170+ yd par 3s, which with my Redline I'd probably try to hit a normal 6i. I've had similar results with several different shafts.
My iron miss is toe strikes as well. I play my irons 1/2" long but that wasn't at the suggestion of the fitter... It was cause my previous irons (burner 2.0s) were 1/2" longer than standard and when trying standard length I was pull hooking everything.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Its not unheard of. You dont always see that adjustment for that reason however.

Hey everyone,

I currently game the Srixon Z745 and I have hit the new Apex 2016 CF's on a GC2 and love the results. The feel is a little "harder" then the Srixon's but the results are great so far. I'm just curious to know if anyone has switched from the Srixon's to the Apex's and what have been there results with the switch. I have seen modest (3-5 yards) distance gains but the dispersion has been about the same or slightly better.

The reason I am pondering these is that I am turning 51 on Monday and I can use any distance advantage I can get. Plus I don't play near as much as I use to. Once a week and I get to the range about 4 times a week so a more forgiving club is what I am after. The looks are nice as well.

How is the turf interaction between the Srixons and the Apex compare? I do love the VT sole on the Srixons so I'm curious how the Apex's do thru the turf.

Thanks

i had a fitting at the annika academy at reunion resort today. although i wasn't looking to hit irons, we had some time so i hit the cf 16 and apex pro 16 both in 7i. the cf 16 had px 5.5, standard l/l/l and we compared the results to my gamer j15 df 7i with dg pro r300. i don't have the numbers from the pro, but they weren't great with about 10y less of carry.

here are my numbers from my gamer, which came out to what i expect on the course:
chs 81.2mph
bs 115.8mph
launch 18.8*
back spin 4,756rpm
side spin -494rpm
carry 173y
efficiency 95%

here are my numbers from the cf 16:
chs 82.2mph
bs 116.8mph
launch 19.8*
back spin 4,321rpm
side -441rpm
carry 178y
efficiency 95%

i was extremely impressed with the cf 16. as someone who despises thick, gi irons, these are anything but. i could game these tomorrow and be thrilled. more distance, higher launch, tighter dispersion. yes please. feel was every bit as good as my gamers, but with extra forgiveness. fantastic sticks.

Hey everyone,

I currently game the Srixon Z745 and I have hit the new Apex 2016 CF's on a GC2 and love the results. The feel is a little "harder" then the Srixon's but the results are great so far. I'm just curious to know if anyone has switched from the Srixon's to the Apex's and what have been there results with the switch. I have seen modest (3-5 yards) distance gains but the dispersion has been about the same or slightly better.

The reason I am pondering these is that I am turning 51 on Monday and I can use any distance advantage I can get. Plus I don't play near as much as I use to. Once a week and I get to the range about 4 times a week so a more forgiving club is what I am after. The looks are nice as well.

How is the turf interaction between the Srixons and the Apex compare? I do love the VT sole on the Srixons so I'm curious how the Apex's do thru the turf.

Thanks

I switched from the z545 to the cf 16. Like you I noticed the feel/sound is not as soft on the cf 16 compared to the Srixons. Distance wise I have seen a loss or gain but from testing I did during a fitting earlier in the year with the 745s I would estimate the gains with the cf16s to be in the 8-10 yd range.

Asdfgh

Last edited:
I have not had any issue with them getting caught in the rough. Wonder if its a stronger or looser grip thing. Played them in some pretty gnarley bermuda too.

One of your comments is interesting to me. The thinner face would bring on less spin which would make ballooning more difficult. But thats not my question. My question is you said "zero roll out on greens". Would you want roll out on greens? I would think in a perfect world, every golfer would want the ball to stop on the dot on greens because it makes target golf to a purposeful level.

Welcome to THP. Enjoy your new sticks.

No roll out for irons is a great thing. I clarified & edited my initial post.

every golfer would want the ball to stop on the dot on greens because it makes target golf to a purposeful level.

This ×1000. Rollout for the driver, but I would want every other club to stop in its tracks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This ×1000. Rollout for the driver, but I would want every other to stop in its tracks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

agreed on no roll out for irons. Thx for the catch. Though I also want my 3w and putter to roll :)

One other thing that made me change from a players iron to GI was that many low handicappers I play with started making the change to players distance clubs. I realized I was being stubborn, especially as a mid-handicapper. True, lofts may be jacked/stronger but the ball flight is still higher. My 690cb 6 iron is still shorter and lower than the cf16 7-iron.

Sounds like he was trying to raise the effective lie angle of the club instead of actually bending it upright. With a 1/2" increase in length you increased the effective lie angle by about 1 degree.

I am enjoying the cf technology. Forgiveness is crazy. Par 3 playing 177 into a decent wind in low 50 temps. Hit 4i and caught it on the toe where part of the ball mark was off the grooves. When I made contact I knew it was going to be bad. I look up and it's on a decent flight and moving right to,left as expected and ends up about 3yds short of the pin in the left rough.

Sounds like he was trying to raise the effective lie angle of the club instead of actually bending it upright. With a 1/2" increase in length you increased the effective lie angle by about 1 degree.

Tested today with Project X 5.5 standard length 2* up, hit this setup pretty well.

I've hade two LM sessions with the 7i with XP 95 stiff shafts. Unreal distances and solid dispersion. My weakest toe strike launched mid, was 14 yds right and carried 165. Typically I was seeing 170-180 carry and +/- 6 yeasts of center. But I won't get domestic approval for a $1200 spend so...how significantly better are these than xr pros? I care more about down the course results than feel or aesthetics.

I've been playing the Callaway Xr pro irons with KBS tour v 110 stiff flex shafts for most of this year and recently purchased the apex cf16 with recoil 110 f4s and after two rounds I am probably going to sell them . I'm noticing some strange distances with my shorter irons namely my eight iron through gap wedge. grant it the temperatures in Atlanta have been cooler but I just hit some weird very short distances with say my pitching wedge or my nine iron or my gap wedge and I went back to my xr pros and I'm just not seeing the shorter distances. Also I have not seen any distance gains I was hoping for with these new irons...I'm longer with the Xr pros. Going to PGA superstore and going to hit both sets side by side.

Interesting. I have not seen that in our testing on the FlightScope, but obviously everybody is different.

I think I'm ready to give DiscountDan's a call tomorrow and put in an order for the 5 - AW with the Recoil 660 F3 shafts. I'll also order the Apex 3 hybrid. I hit the hybrid at PGASS this afternoon and that is one sweet club. Was carrying this about 200 and carrying the 7 iron about 170.

My only concern is reading about spin numbers. I don't recall what my spin rate was at PGASS, but the launch monitor said I had 19 degrees of launch and rollout averaged about 7 to 10 yards. That seems like a lot of roll for a 7 iron. Not sure how much you can trust a LM for this stat.

Comments welcome.

I think I'm ready to give DiscountDan's a call tomorrow and put in an order for the 5 - AW with the Recoil 660 F3 shafts. I'll also order the Apex 3 hybrid. I hit the hybrid at PGASS this afternoon and that is one sweet club. Was carrying this about 200 and carrying the 7 iron about 170.

My only concern is reading about spin numbers. I don't recall what my spin rate was at PGASS, but the launch monitor said I had 19 degrees of launch and rollout averaged about 7 to 10 yards. That seems like a lot of roll for a 7 iron. Not sure how much you can trust a LM for this stat.

Comments welcome.

Not sure if you went to Shea or the 101 location, but I would not trust their LM one bit.

That amount of rollout isnt unheard of.

Back