Weight distribution

X.Man

Reaction score
Handicap
Been working on keeping some weight on my back foot when I transition to my down swing. During a recent lesson that was one of the many take-aways. Stepped onto one of those weight distribution matts and I'm making an iron move to the ball with my driver. Wanted to video it to see what it looked like a month later. Any drills for me to work on to help this? These videos clearly show that weight transfer isn't staying on my back foot.

https://vimeo.com/145227631

https://vimeo.com/145227669

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with the iron move into the ball?

What's wrong with the iron move into the ball?

It's my understanding, and so I've been told, (could be totally wrong here) but my impression is that for a driver swing weight distribution should favor the Backfoot as opposed to the front foot. I feel I start to transfer weight towards my front foot in the downs swing and sometimes causes me to come over the top.

It's my understanding, and so I've been told, (could be totally wrong here) but my impression is that for a driver swing weight distribution should favor the Backfoot as opposed to the front foot. I feel I start to transfer weight towards my front foot in the downs swing and sometimes causes me to come over the top.

Maybe. I like hitting into a firm left side. Hanging back in an attempt to hit up on the ball has caused me nothing but headaches and penalty strokes this past summer.

I have figured out in the last couple of weeks that head position at address has been assisting in hindering a proper weight transfer and distribution during the swing. Head was more in line with the ball as opposed to behind it and was hampering a smooth takeaway and still head during the swing. Still a work in progress but have seen less of the low pull hooks that have haunted me for a while.

It's my understanding that you want more weight on the lead foot at impact, but the head behind the ball. The weight forward is what allows you to swing to the right (strong draw or power fade depending on club path), weight back could cause you to swing around your body and create a more leftward swing direction (weak fade or pull hook).

http://www.revolutiongolf.com/instr...p-your-weight-forward-and-smack-longer-drives

ETA - I'm nobody, but I watched your videos and your swing looks really good. It looks like you are a little flat/under the plane so you could strengthen your grip a hair to get the face closed enough to make the ball turn left versus the fade (because the ball looks like it's starting on a really good line to the right), or you could steepen your swing just a hair to get you coming into the ball closer to the target line as opposed to a little too much from the inside. Weight transfer looks good and your head stays behind the ball.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that you want more weight on the lead foot at impact, but the head behind the ball. The weight forward is what allows you to swing to the right (strong draw or power fade depending on club path), weight back could cause you to swing around your body and create a more leftward swing direction (weak fade or pull hook).

http://www.revolutiongolf.com/instr...p-your-weight-forward-and-smack-longer-drives

ETA - I'm nobody, but I watched your videos and your swing looks really good. It looks like you are a little flat/under the plane so you could strengthen your grip a hair to get the face closed enough to make the ball turn left versus the fade (because the ball looks like it's starting on a really good line to the right), or you could steepen your swing just a hair to get you coming into the ball closer to the target line as opposed to a little too much from the inside. Weight transfer looks good and your head stays behind the ball.

So after watching the video I see what he means on getting to the left side, but if you notice my backfoot, my heel completely comes off the ground. Again, so I've been told, this should be more of a roll and not a lift. My heel lift is coming from transferring ALOT of my weight to that front side.

This guy kills the ball and in the direction he wants the majority of the time. He has the same heel lift and it turns out afterward much more than yours. I do the same thing and my coach says the heel lift and roll out is more form than function.

I think the biggest difference in his ball flight versus yours is the position you are each at when at the top of the swing. He's more on line with the original shaft plane with his club pointing toward his target while yours is a little flatter and pointing right at the top.

Untitled_zpsy8lbpsbh.jpg

I think you have a fairly athletic swing, much more athletic than mine. It's a fairly nice swing, it needs some very minor tweaking with positions and timing. If there's something you're unhappy about with your swing I think these are all the adjustments that it needs.

That said, your down the line swing looks like a tail slice, meaning your swing direction was straight but the clubface was open. That means either your hips overtook your hands, or you need to make a fuller turn back and through. Also there's this teeny tiny quitting on the shot just after impact.

On the frontal view, I notice that your left foot cheats as you go through impact, meaning at address your left foot is pointing 11 o'clock, but at finish it's pointing at 9 o'clock. This may or may not be good. Jordan Spieth does that, and so do I (cough cough). The common position of the left foot is pointing 11 o'clock even at finish, but the weight is on the left side of the left foot.

It might help your timing if your right foot is parallel to clubface, so pointing 12 o'clock, and your left foot is already pointing 10 o'clock instead of shifting all around.

If you come over the top it's not due to improper weight distribution. It's from lack of lower body in the swing. You swing so hard from the top that the legs sort of fall into place due to the force of your down swing. You aren't loading into the legs and driving up through the ball. You are using your legs as a base to swing hard with the upper body.

Place a tee in the butt of your grip. I want that tee punted at the ground once it's past your right hip. You're completely laid off but manage to square it up. I want to do away with the manage part and make it automatic

Place a tee in the butt of your grip. I want that tee punted at the ground once it's past your right hip. You're completely laid off but manage to square it up. I want to do away with the manage part and make it automatic

Thanks Freddie. Do you mean on the takeaway or the downswing?

On the take away

this is something i had in my swing a couple years ago, and it was pretty difficult to fix. it feels VERY awkward at first, but sticking with it has been the single biggest path to improvement for me. that handsy, forearm rolled, laid-off position makes it so difficult to make a proper, on-plane downswing.

this is something i had in my swing a couple years ago, and it was pretty difficult to fix. it feels VERY awkward at first, but sticking with it has been the single biggest path to improvement for me. that handsy, forearm rolled, laid-off position makes it so difficult to make a proper, on-plane downswing.

In 2002 Brian Mogg and I worked on this for 6 months as I prepared for mini tours. It transformed my swing. I've gone away from it but am committed to getting back to it.

Weight distribution

UPDATE:

i've been taking some time to practice. More specifically having the butt of the club point down once it passes my right hip on the backswing. This has helped a lot and taking away that snap hook or hard left draw. Where the ball starts left target and continues to go left of target. It still happens every now and then but not as often. I'm actually starting to see more cuts then draws. Maybe I'm not doing the drill right?

In these two swings the ball went pretty straight. Not much tail either for a draw or a cut. But I have noticed when I try to do this drill I see a lot more Fades and slices than Ive seen in a while

https://vimeo.com/147675504

Swing looks pretty good.
UPDATE:

i've been taking some time to practice. More specifically having the butt of the club point down once it passes my right hip on the backswing. This has helped a lot and taking away that snap hook or hard left draw. Where the ball starts left target and continues to go left of target. It still happens every now and then but not as often. I'm actually starting to see more cuts then draws. Maybe I'm not doing the drill right?

In these two swings the ball went pretty straight. Not much tail either for a draw or a cut. But I have noticed when I try to do this drill I see a lot more Fades and slices than Ive seen in a while

https://vimeo.com/147675504

UPDATE:

Looks like you've been doing it right because your shoulder line is much closer to being on plane at the top of your back swing and the club looks like it's pointing much closer to your target at the top. The cuts you see now might just be a matter of a small tweak like ball position, strengthening your grip, or adjusting the face angle settings of your driver.

That action is so much better than the first video you posted. You seem a tad bit taller, your tempo is more fluid and the club is swinging on plane. The current swing pass h combined with the upward contact on the ball is going to produce that little fade. Nothing wrong with that at all. Those drive will play on any course from any distance.

That action is so much better than the first video you posted. You seem a tad bit taller, your tempo is more fluid and the club is swinging on plane. The current swing pass h combined with the upward contact on the ball is going to produce that little fade. Nothing wrong with that at all. Those drive will play on any course from any distance.

Thanks for the input Freddie. Just out of curiosity, should I be trying to implement this on full swings with irons as well (given you haven't seen the iron swing on video and I'm having same issue)?

When you get down here buddy you will see how bad it can get, in a hurry!
Looking forward to it. We can both work on our swings.

Thanks for the input Freddie. Just out of curiosity, should I be trying to implement this on full swings with irons as well (given you haven't seen the iron swing on video and I'm having same issue)?

yes sir!

Back