Central NJ, Eastern PA & Surrounding Area Chat

For anyone in the Philly/South Jersey area, I've posted from time to time on Cobbs Creek Olde, a municipal course within city limits that was designed by Hugh Wilson (architect of Merion), which hosted majors way back in the hey day.

The course has a tortured history, which includes the US military occupying it and altering it significantly to install missile silos.

A few years ago, a private group raised a significant find to restore the course to its original design, hiring Gil Hanse to do the plans, and cleared all environmental issues to make it work. The design would turn the other 18 holes into a 9 hole course and utilize some of it to lengthen the course to PGA tournament standards. I think the whole idea is to revitalize the course similar to Bethpage and make it one of the better public courses to play.

While everything had been ready to go, the hold up has been with the City. They only want to grant a 25 year lease while the private group wants a 99 year lease. This lease is for control/maintenance pretty much.

At any rate, we just had elections here and apparently the newly elected mayor means there's a good chance of this happening. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Anything a group of us could do to support the initiative?

Anything a group of us could do to support the initiative?

Sorry just seeing this! I wish there was but I think this is a fighting city hall issue.

I've attached a link that outlines the progress and provides a very comprehensive history of the course.

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/focc/Friends_of_Cobbs_Creek/Welcome.html

Hopefully we'll be able to get a round in there when it's done!

For anyone in the Philly/South Jersey area, I've posted from time to time on Cobbs Creek Olde, a municipal course within city limits that was designed by Hugh Wilson (architect of Merion), which hosted majors way back in the hey day.

The course has a tortured history, which includes the US military occupying it and altering it significantly to install missile silos.

A few years ago, a private group raised a significant find to restore the course to its original design, hiring Gil Hanse to do the plans, and cleared all environmental issues to make it work. The design would turn the other 18 holes into a 9 hole course and utilize some of it to lengthen the course to PGA tournament standards. I think the whole idea is to revitalize the course similar to Bethpage and make it one of the better public courses to play.

While everything had been ready to go, the hold up has been with the City. They only want to grant a 25 year lease while the private group wants a 99 year lease. This lease is for control/maintenance pretty much.

At any rate, we just had elections here and apparently the newly elected mayor means there's a good chance of this happening. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for posting. While the renovation sounds fantastic and I really hope it happens and we get to play that course, your post reminds me that I have to get out on Cobb Creek next year. Partly to appreciate what it is today and partly to have a perspective on the change (knock on wood).

Thanks for posting. While the renovation sounds fantastic and I really hope it happens and we get to play that course, your post reminds me that I have to get out on Cobb Creek next year. Partly to appreciate what it is today and partly to have a perspective on the change (knock on wood).

Let me know of and when you want to go. It's fairly close to me and I could show you some of the future changes, etc.

And we still need to that round in!

Let me know of and when you want to go. It's fairly close to me and I could show you some of the future changes, etc.

My first HIO was on Cobbs Creek #4. The course has a sweet spot in my heart...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first HIO was on Cobbs Creek #4. The course has a sweet spot in my heart...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice hole! The carry over the creek to the green that almost demands a draw. Great stuff. The par 4 after it is one of my favorite holes in the area.

Yes! But at this point, it's looking like 2016.

In my NYC home right now and only next Sunday in PHL on my way to Santa Fe for a couple of weeks. Back in mid-December so that's a possibility if the weather cooperates.

Anyone thinking about playing the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving? The weather is looking pretty good both of those days and we got winter rates in effect!

Anyone thinking about playing the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving? The weather is looking pretty good both of those days and we got winter rates in effect!
A bunch of NYers are playing Black Friday outside of Rochester if you get no bites here. I think that would qualify you for the NY/NJ team in Regional Rivalry.

A bunch of NYers are playing Black Friday outside of Rochester if you get no bites here. I think that would qualify you for the NY/NJ team in Regional Rivalry.

We were just talking about getting a round in sometime...

So is Eastern Pa included in the rivalry. I can be a double agent as I grew up in Mass...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

So is Eastern Pa included in the rivalry. I can be a double agent as I grew up in Mass...

Sadly for this THP Event, yes. You must be a current resident in one of the regions listed.
Never fret however, tons more THP Events out there in 2016.

Well then, I patiently wait for foolish shenanigans to ensue in my region

I was thinking of getting out next Friday. Forecast now says high of 60..

If you guys were going to play Friday, what time were you thinking of going out?

If you guys were going to play Friday, what time were you thinking of going out?

I'm good whenever, but probably early so we have the sun the whole time

I'm good whenever, but probably early so we have the sun the whole time

If you decide on Friday, let me know where you'd like to play, cause I might be able to get out for an early round.

I actually looked at the drive time since I thought it'd be fun to meet up and talk sh$@ about the New Englanders, but couldn't swing the 6 hours each way even though I'd love to meet up. I'll get up there soon again though. I'll be part of the practice squad for you guys.

If you decide on Friday, let me know where you'd like to play, cause I might be able to get out for an early round.

I'm gonna take a look at courses and times in the next couple days, so will keep you posted.

I might be in for Black Friday. Waiting to hear back from my uncle.

Back