Trying to get an extra wedge in my bag.

mesaman777

Reaction score
Handicap
~
Hey everyone. I just purchased new irons. I will be carrying 3 wedges to start, 45,50,56 bent to 55. I would like to get a 60 in there too. On the top of my bag I carry a 9.5, 15, 19 and 21H.

My new irons sport a 23 4iron. I am thinking of switching to a 20H, pull the 19 and 15 and go with a 16.5 4wood to replace the two. Too big of a gap? I may just keep my current 21H as my distance control with that club is spot on.

I'm hoping that the new glide wedge with the tour grind will allow me to open it enough to hit flops around the green so I may not even need the 60. This is all speculation at this point, won't really know until I get the new clubs in my hands. The wheels are turning though. Thoughts? Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Determining if the gap is to big or small would need to be determined by the distances you are hitting the long clubs and if it's too big for you to handle.

I dont hit flop shots that often and wouldn't look to add a wedge just to perform that shot. I would wait until you get the new clubs in and hit the range to see what your gaps look like before determining what goes on the bag at the top and bottom.

Determining if the gap is to big or small would need to be determined by the distances you are hitting the long clubs and if it's too big for you to handle.

I dont hit flop shots that often and wouldn't look to add a wedge just to perform that shot. I would wait until you get the new clubs in and hit the range to see what your gaps look like before determining what goes on the bag at the top and bottom.

That's good advice!!!!

I'd rather have more scoring clubs in my bag than distance clubs. For many people the 60* is the primary chipping/pitching club and not a flop shot only club.

How much different are the 21* hybrid and the 4 iron? That's where I would be looking.

I took out a 56 and 60 and went with a 58. It really lets me open it up when I need it and is very effective everywhere within 100 yards. Just a thought instead of a 56 and 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pull the 23 4i.

I use a 45, 50, 55, 60 - use the 55 most of the time around the greens, but the 60 is helpful and has a more pleasing look at address for flops, rough, high and short bunker shots, and short pitches. I find it a versatile club to use around the green.

I once used the 60 as a primary pitching around the green club. But high is not necessarily better for longer pitches. I find the 55 easier to keep low and accurate, and it can still pull the ball back.

How often do you use your long clubs where you play? I recently pulled my 3 wood and inserted a 20* hybrid because I have no need for a 3 wood where I play. If I'm too far out on a par 5 then I should lay up anyways. I find that 60% of my shots are from 125 and in. That's where I'm focusing on having the bulk of my weapons at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took out a 56 and 60 and went with a 58. It really lets me open it up when I need it and is very effective everywhere within 100 yards. Just a thought instead of a 56 and 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's my current wedge set, I use the 58 out of green side bunkers and around the green. I have 8 degrees between my GW and the 58, I just want to tighten that up a bit. It's worked for me so far, but if I can shave a stroke or 2 by carrying another wedge, it's worth a try. Thanks for the response.

How much different are the 21* hybrid and the 4 iron? That's where I would be looking.

That's yet to be determined, have not hit the 4 yet. It's all speculation right now. I haven't rebuilt my entire bag in a really long time and I just want to make sure it's right the first time out. For all I know the new 4 will go longer than the 21H so that will take care of the issue right there. I've seen a lot of guy's in my handicap range gaming 3 woods and 4 wedges and I have gone through entire rounds never pulling my Hybrid or 5 wood. I'd like to boot one out of the bag, most likely the 5w. I really dig my hybrid. Thanks for the input.

Pull the 23 4i.

I use a 45, 50, 55, 60 - use the 55 most of the time around the greens, but the 60 is helpful and has a more pleasing look at address for flops, rough, high and short bunker shots, and short pitches. I find it a versatile club to use around the green.

I once used the 60 as a primary pitching around the green club. But high is not necessarily better for longer pitches. I find the 55 easier to keep low and accurate, and it can still pull the ball back.

I hear what your saying, but I don't want to pull an iron I didn't even hit yet:act-up:. I have always been a good iron player and I think I would miss the 4. That's the mystery club at this point, I will be able to get a better handle on gaps once I dial that club in. I really do like the idea of carrying 4 wedges, especially adding the 55. Thanks for the response.

That's my current wedge set, I use the 58 out of green side bunkers and around the green. I have 8 degrees between my GW and the 58, I just want to tighten that up a bit. It's worked for me so far, but if I can shave a stroke or 2 by carrying another wedge, it's worth a try. Thanks for the response.

To get around that big gap I went with a 52. & degrees can be a big gap.

How often do you use your long clubs where you play? I recently pulled my 3 wood and inserted a 20* hybrid because I have no need for a 3 wood where I play. If I'm too far out on a par 5 then I should lay up anyways. I find that 60% of my shots are from 125 and in. That's where I'm focusing on having the bulk of my weapons at

I use the 3 off the tee on 4 holes. I could give it up on 2nd shots to par 5's because the planets would need to align for me to reach one in 2 so I usually lay up to a comfortable wedge.

To get around that big gap I went with a 52. & degrees can be a big gap.

The new set wedges are gapped at 5 degrees, 45 and 50. I'm hoping the tour grind on the 55 will let me get the same bounce I get with my 58 when I open it up. I've lived with a 58 so long with good results I would be happy with that set-up and not carry a 60. Time will tell I guess.

Interesting. I see you play mini tours. You don't feel the gap from driver to 20 deg. hybrid is any cause for concern? Seems like a big gap when it comes to going for a par 5 in two shots or certain par fours that force you to lay off the driver. Just wondering your thoughts.

The new set wedges are gapped at 5 degrees, 45 and 50. I'm hoping the tour grind on the 55 will let me get the same bounce I get with my 58 when I open it up. I've lived with a 58 so long with good results I would be happy with that set-up and not carry a 60. Time will tell I guess.

I have a very similar setup to you, but I dropped the 4i and use a 54* wedge along with the 58*. So far this season, I'm really happy with the results.

That's a lot of wedges.

A lot of players carry 4 wedges. I think it's easier to save a shot around the green with sharp wedge play than struggle with a decision of hitting a 15 or 19 degree FW wood from over 300 out on a long par 5. Either club will get me closer, but the question becomes which wedge do I hit for my 3rd. Although I do try and layup to comfortable number usually. It's still a WIP.

That's a lot of wedges.

A pitching wedge at 45-47 deg. these days is really an iron. I think PW's start at 50, then you have a SW and LW = three wedges. I use a Gap (50) like an iron and only use the 55 and 60 from 60 yds in and around the greens (unless a bad wind blows) -- so by my math and usage, I have 2 wedges.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I just purchased new irons. I will be carrying 3 wedges to start, 45,50,56 bent to 55. I would like to get a 60 in there too. On the top of my bag I carry a 9.5, 15, 19 and 21H.

My new irons sport a 23 4iron. I am thinking of switching to a 20H, pull the 19 and 15 and go with a 16.5 4wood to replace the two. Too big of a gap? I may just keep my current 21H as my distance control with that club is spot on.

I'm hoping that the new glide wedge with the tour grind will allow me to open it enough to hit flops around the green so I may not even need the 60. This is all speculation at this point, won't really know until I get the new clubs in my hands. The wheels are turning though. Thoughts? Thanks to all.
Drop the driver. :wink:

Which irons? Could be germane to the discussion. Having read the thread I get the impression that the 45 and 50 are set wedges, is that right?

However, without knowing for certain about any of the above, I would be looking at consolidating the two clubs bolded above into a single club, or perhaps taking those two and the 4 iron down to a two club combo, say 20/23 hybrid. Combining 15 and 19 into something at the 16-17 range would be another option. You wouldn't sacrifice much distance over the 15* club and you should get shots that land a bit softer - a good thing if you're trying to reach a green in two. There's nothing wrong with having wider gaps at the long end of the bag - you can choke down on a longer club to hit a tweener distance.

Which irons? Could be germane to the discussion. Having read the thread I get the impression that the 45 and 50 are set wedges, is that right?

However, without knowing for certain about any of the above, I would be looking at consolidating the two clubs bolded above into a single club, or perhaps taking those two and the 4 iron down to a two club combo, say 20/23 hybrid. Combining 15 and 19 into something at the 16-17 range would be another option. You wouldn't sacrifice much distance over the 15* club and you should get shots that land a bit softer - a good thing if you're trying to reach a green in two. There's nothing wrong with having wider gaps at the long end of the bag - you can choke down on a longer club to hit a tweener distance.

Ping i's. Yes the set wedges are 45PW and 50Gap. In the end I decided to add a 54 and 58, both Ping glide wedges. I will pull my 19 degree hybrid and 5 wood and added a new 20 hybrid to test out that I got for cheap but still haven't hit yet. I may just go back to my 19 degree H because It is one of those clubs I hate to pull. It's an old Titleist 585 and it's starting to show it's age, but works. That leaves me with a 14.4 and a 9.5 up top. I still have not received my irons and they are over due. I really can't judge gaps in my H and 4I until I get them.

I think 54-58 will work out well.

Back