SkyGolf/SkyCaddie Watch - Miserable

Buster1

Reaction score
Handicap
9 GHIN
I know folks hate “rant” threads, so I won’t go there’s too much, but I wanted to pass on what a miserable experience it has been with my son’s new SkyCaddie SW2 watch. We received it as a gift.

-After one round, it made us register online to continue to use.
-Registration was easy, but SkyGolf wants lots of personal info.:bad:
-They have multiple fee based plans and one free plan that you MUST subscribe to in order to make the watch do anything but tell time.
-You have to add a plan to your cart and checkout...even if it’s the free one. :banghead:
-After registration, software must be downloaded to a desktop or phone that SYNCS the devices with the SkyGolf mothership. Fair enough.
-Software download was not straightforward, but it appears to work.
-Spent about 45 min with the watch plugged into the computer and it’s won’t recognize the watch. Tried multiple resets and USB ports.
-Unable to sync watch to the mothership...so its a fancy brick right now.

A side note, I use a Golf Buddy Voice 2 and it is ridiculously easy to update, load, and play with. No subscriptions, no personal data, free and fresh updates to thousands of courses. Just easy.

SkyGolf...you get a thumbs down from me.:angry:

Thank you for posting! That's some helpful feedback for anyone in the market.

Update:

We finally got it synced by downloading and setting up the App.

What’s unclear now is that there is an option to “Upload Courses.” I was under the impression that the watch was preloaded with thousands of courses...as my son played with it successfully the other day.

Anyway, we’ll get it dialed in. Still not impressed.

I would agree that the set-up phase of the SW2 was a headache and Sky Caddie could use some help in the KISS concept. Once I got through that portion, it was a good watch to use on the course. I always found it to be accurate.

Sucks to hear.. I much more like "ready to go out of the box ” which is why I got the Garmin s20. I have 0 experience with any other watches.. Hopefully it gets better for you tho.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Update:

We finally got it synced by downloading and setting up the App.

What’s unclear now is that there is an option to “Upload Courses.” I was under the impression that the watch was preloaded with thousands of courses...as my son played with it successfully the other day.

Anyway, we’ll get it dialed in. Still not impressed.

It is preloaded but I think when you upload courses to the watch from their site it will give advanced features not available via just satellite finding a course.

Do I need a membership for the SkyCaddie, since the device comes preloaded with course maps?
You are not required to sign up for an annual membership. However, memberships with SkyGolf offers you unlimited access to our reliable ground-mapped course library, advanced course management features (such as Interactive HoleVue With Zoom and IntelliGreen Pro), access to all of the rich game analysis tools through ClubSG, and much more!

All customers receive a complimentary, 30-day preload of basic green course information out of the box. The 30-day trial period will begin once you register your device or after three holes of golf — whichever is first. On Day 31, you will not be able to access the preloaded courses on your SkyCaddie unless you have signed up for an annual membership. Without a membership, you will have to use the SGX to map basic green targets for the courses you play, prior to playing with the SGX again. You will not be able to create your own IntelliGreen or HoleVue graphics, as these are only available to members through our professionally-mapped courses.

Back