Today's Fitting Experience

Dee74

Reaction score
Handicap
Well I am returning to golf after a 10+ year hiatus. I decided this time I would go for my first ever fitting instead of just buying a set off of the shelf. So I schedule an appointment for this morning and go to my fitting for irons only today. I was told when I set up my appointment that they will only fit me for one part of the bag per session. I told the fitter I was returning to the game and the last couple rounds I was 20-25 over. We go to the fitting room and it was an absolute disaster. Shafts laying everywhere, heads mixed up in the wrong carts, nothing where he could find it. This definitely did not make a great impression. So he had me hit exactly 8 golf balls and according to him he had determined my shaft weight and length. Also according to him I was not a good enough golfer to measure the lie angle. I was a little taken back that the session was all finished with only 3 minutes of information. At that point he shut down the computer and started trying to sell me clubs. I did not purchase anything today. I really think I need a different fitting somewhere else. Any thoughts from the group? Is this how club fittings are everywhere? What should I really expect? I am ready to purchase a whole new bag of clubs but I need to be confident I am getting ones that are a good fit for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would not ever return to that place of business again. No way he did a proper fitting at all.

Wow, that is unethical - maybe ask here for fitter references in your area?

Agreed. I'm not that good but even I have something to work with on a fitting perspective.

Now the one thing he may have meant is that your swing isn't consistent enough to determine a proper lie angle. If you are just coming back to the game and are getting fit right out of the gate, I could see where your swing might be a bit erratic. However, everyone has a general starting point and will just change and adjust over time as we improve.

Regardless, this didn't sound very organized and it certainly didn't sound like you got the proper amount of attention for what you are trying to accomplish.

Competition is a good thing and you should consider taking your business to one of them. No way would I buy clubs based on the experience you described.

I absolutely agree with the above ^^. I would never go back to that so called fitter. I hope you didn't have to pay for that fitting!

Where in NY are you? You should have much better options than what you described.

Thank you all for the responses and confirming my initial thoughts. Can anyone recommend a person or shop in the Buffalo, NY area that would provide a good fitting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the responses and confirming my initial thoughts. Can anyone recommend a person or shop in the Buffalo, NY area that would provide a good fitting.

I'm sure @Moosejaa can help you with that.

Woods to Wedges in the Wehrle Golf Dome has a really good fitting setup now.

http://woodstowedgesbuffalo.com/

This sounds unbelievably horrendous! Where was this? I think you should be writing reviews everywhere you can so other people don't get scammed.

I’ll add to the pile of “if you paid get your money back and never ever go back there”.
That is not a good fitting at all.

I’ll add to the pile of “if you paid get your money back and never ever go back there”.
That is not a good fitting at all.

The only positive is the guy decided not to charge me. I did not choose to confront him or question his tactics which may have helped with the no charge. I just decided to take my money somewhere else to purchase my new clubs. I am debating reaching out to the store owner just to have a conversation and raise awareness. I do not want anything or any apologies but just want to share my experience.

Well I reached out to the store manager Monday morning, at the email they suggested and never received a response. As said before I did not want anything but if I managed this store I would have responded. I do not believe in public bashing of a locally owned store but if anyone wants to know where this was, feel free to message me. I will say the store was in PA. I live in NY bit I am out in the middle of nowhere so any golf shop is over an hour drive. I did go to Woods to Wedges and I had an excellent experience. The fitting took about an hour and their studio was well organized and truly excellent.

I can't believe that the manager didn't respond. Glad you found a place that did a professional job. Did you end up buying? If so, what?

Man that fitting sounded so bad! If I were you I'd take myself across the border to TXG in Toronto and they should have you sorted in no time. Have a look at the YouTube site and the fittings they do, its fast becoming my favourite YT site, some amazing stuff.

I'm off to visit Toronto in late spring so I'm going to try and get a fitting when visiting.

I can't believe that the manager didn't respond. Glad you found a place that did a professional job. Did you end up buying? If so, what?

I bought a set of G400 irons. When they took the time to get everything right for me I could not hit a bad shot with those irons, I can’t wait to try them out.

Man that fitting sounded so bad! If I were you I'd take myself across the border to TXG in Toronto and they should have you sorted in no time. Have a look at the YouTube site and the fittings they do, its fast becoming my favourite YT site, some amazing stuff.

I'm off to visit Toronto in late spring so I'm going to try and get a fitting when visiting.

This place looks worth the visit. I have never been to Toronto, I may take a road trip one day.

Well I reached out to the store manager Monday morning, at the email they suggested and never received a response. As said before I did not want anything but if I managed this store I would have responded. I do not believe in public bashing of a locally owned store but if anyone wants to know where this was, feel free to message me. I will say the store was in PA. I live in NY bit I am out in the middle of nowhere so any golf shop is over an hour drive. I did go to Woods to Wedges and I had an excellent experience. The fitting took about an hour and their studio was well organized and truly excellent.

Glad you found someone and made a purchase based on that experience. I, like you, live nowhere close to a reputable fitter and a good shop is about an hour plus away so I know what you are up against. Again, glad your second fitting was a good one.

Can I ask. How much did the first fitting cost ?

Maybe he rushed it because he had to poop

Sorry for the bad experience that I wouldn't even call a fitting.

I know I'm an old guy in this crowd, but I think one is always better served by trying to raise concerns by phone rather than email if possible. In this case you could call the responsible manager directly.

You can't be sure, especially if it is somewhat of a generic email box, if they are opened regularly, or opened by another staffer (even the guy who you saw). I'd be especially leery of good management practices including just good email practices if the manager allows such a sloppy fitting area. You can always followup what was discussed/agreed (or disagreed) by email after. That also serves better IMO if one then decides to take the issue to a higher authority in the case of a chain etc.

Even for online negative reviews (TripAdvisor etc) I think they have a lot more punch if the reviewer outlines step taken by himself to address the issues when they occurred.

Back