RIP Scott Weiland

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
News Story Here.

Scott Weiland, Former Singer of Stone Temple Pilots, Dead at 48

Dave Navarro, guitarist and member of Jane's Addiction, first tweeted the news at 9:01 p.m. PT on Thursday night: "Our friend Scott Weiland has died." (He has since deleted the tweet.)

Weiland and his latest band, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, were scheduled to tour this month with upcoming dates at Reno, NV on Dec. 18 and City Winery in Napa on Dec. 19.
The band was in Minnesota for a tour date at the Medina Ballroom. According to TMZ, Weiland was found dead on the band's tour bus.

The singer turned 48 on Oct. 27. Weiland long suffered from substance abuse issues.

A California native, Weiland formed the band Stone Temple Pilots with brothers Robert and Dean DeLeo and saw huge commercial success in the 1990s. In 1993, the band’s debut album Core peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 followed by an even bigger achievement a year later in 1994, when STP released the album Purple, which contained several radio hits including the songs “Big Empty,” “Vasoline” and “Interstate Love Song,” at it reached No. 1.

Featuring Weiland’s distinctive lower register singing style, a sort of growl that grew ever more popular in the post-grunge years, STP went on to sell millions of records, but infighting eventually drove the members apart. The band took the first of several hiatuses just a few years after reaching their apex of their popularity, during which Weiland participated in several side projects.

Stone Temple Pilots would carry on in various incarnation in the coming years. Most recently, the group recruited Linkin Park singer Chester Pennington to handle frontman duties. He announced his exit from the group on Nov. 9.

In 2002, Weiland joined former Guns N' Roses members Slash (guitars), Duff McKagan (bass) and Matt Sorum (drums) in a supergroup called Velvet Revolver. They released an album called Contraband in June 2004 and another in 2007 called Libertad, the last to feature Weiland on vocals.

By then, Weiland had weathered several public run-ins with the law, mostly due to drug use and driving under the influence. In 1995, the singer was convicted of buying crack cocaine and sentenced to probation. In 2003 and 2007 Weiland was arrested for D.U.I. Heroin was also a drug of choice for Weiland, who had check into a rehabilitation facility but did not finish the program, according to reports around 2007.

Tributes to the late singer have been pouring in from all over the music world. Former MTV VJ and longtime radio personality Matt Pinfield wrote on Facebook “I am speechless … and sad at the loss of my friend, and although many of you are probably not surprised. It doesn't make it any easier. Addiction sucks. I will miss you Scott.”

Saddened to hear this. Was a big STP fan in the early to mid 90's. RIP Scott

Weiland was a rockstar. STP was one of my favorite bands growing up. RIP

STP were such a huge part of my musical background, I used to play guitar in the Clone Temple Pirates which was a 'tribute' act in the loosest sense of the word. I was heartbroken to wake up this morning to hear the news, even more so because I felt it was inevitable. I know the cause of death hasn't been identified or released yet, but I think everyone is fearing the worse. Even if no drugs / alcohol was involved, I think the years of abuse his body has taken will have finally taken their toll. I genuinely hope that in death, Scott can finally find the peace that he was unable to find during his life. A sad day for music today.

Last edited:
Such a shame man, addiction claims another good one.

I saw Stone Temple Pilots in the early 2000s after they came back from their hiatus, and it was one of the best sets I'd seen in a long time. Weiland was someone who struggled with addiction seemingly his whole life - like Trout said, said to see it claim another victim.

just saw this as well, and it makes me so sad. stp could have have been the led zeppelin of the 90s. the deleo brothers were excellent musicians, but even better composers. i had the opportunity to see stp a couple times in concert, and i agree with troyefl that weiland was the quintessential rockstar. sad day

Can't believe e made it this long honestly .

RIP to a great singer and songwriter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man he was a genius at what he did IMO. I loved his music, but he was on the wrong side of the needle for a long time. So sad. RIP

Bummed but not surprised. Last time I saw him on TV he could barely stand and was incoherent. In his prime he had an amazing voice.

Same thoughts

Sad to hear. I saw some footage of one of his performances from a way back and it was pretty rough and hard to watch knowing how talented he was. Hard to believe he was 48 as I remember STP in their heyday and it doesn't seem that long ago.

What he said.

Talented but troubled guy. I'll definitely be listening to some STP and Velvet Revolver today. Rock in peace, Scott.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This. Saddened.

I got a compilation CD from a friend of mine who worked at Spin Magazine in 1993. Creep was on it. Loved the band ever since. Saw them live in NOLA in the mid 90's - great energy and sounded pretty good!

Hope his demons are finally quiet.

Really saddened to read this last night. Was a huge STP fan growing up. Still think their MTV Unplugged is the best one ever and Tiny Music is a ridiculously underrated album. RIP Scott.

Also not surprised but that's just sad cause he was such a great singer/talent but must've had some serious demons

BTW, Creep is Radiohead - maybe you're thinking Plush?

RIP Scott Weiland

Also not surprised but that's just sad cause he was such a great singer/talent but must've had some serious demons

BTW, Creep is Radiohead - maybe you're thinking Plush?

Creep was STP long before radio head existed.

" I'm half the man I used to be "

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1DdO3SISg

Long time STP fan and this is news I would refer to as inevitable. Saw Weiland about 18 months ago in Dallas at the House of Blues, he looked like death warmed over then.

Creep was STP long before radio head existed.

" I'm half the man I used to be "

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sT1DdO3SISg

STP Creep came out in 1992, Radiohead Creep came out in 1993, so not that long, but yes STP came out before Radiohead.

Was a huge STP fan back in the day, the music really evolved quite a bit but sadly I am surprised Scott made it this long. RIP.

I liked STP and Scott was a good musician, RIP!

Just hard to comprehend why people take the first step into these drugs when you know what can happen...

Was a big STP fan, but I thought this was inevitable. Sad - too much talent to go to waste. Always loved Staley in AIC, and he went down the same path.

RIP Scott

RIP Scott Weiland

just listened to "and so i know." one of my all-time favorite songs.

Last edited:
Just hard to comprehend why people take the first step into these drugs when you know what can happen...

Was a big STP fan, but I thought this was inevitable. Sad - too much talent to go to waste. Always loved Staley in AIC, and he went down the same path.

RIP Scott

Unfortunately it's how many of them cope and at the same time tap their creativity.

Look what happened to pearl jam when Eddie put the needle down.

Back