Newbie question - how to tell it's time for a fitting

DucatiGirl

Stoked for RWC2019
Reaction score
Handicap
My Height
So after my putter fitting showed that I needed 2.5" off what came with my set, I started wondering about my other clubs. I'm far too new to be able to tell, and the stats on the website said 5'2" to 5'10" for my set. I'm 5'2". I'm pretty sure I will eventually need to either get them cut down or replace them - they are graphite, women's flex. But I'm pretty comfortable with them, or maybe I've adjusted my swing to them. I used to play with an old set of MacGregor men's clubs, and just gripped the clubs 2-3" down, but that was 15 years and a world of technology ago.

Here's the question - how do you know when your swing is consistent enough for a fitting? Is it a timing thing, or a dispersion test?

I know that my grips are definitely the wrong size, and I'm swapping those out slowly (not sure if I need a wrap or two, so experimenting with my driver and woods, my best clubs). And after that, my next $$ is going to be spent on a few lessons. But after all the stuff I've read here, I think the next most important thing is going to be ensuring these clubs are proper for me.

That’s hard to pin down and it varies from person to person I think.

Lessons are a good start, talk to the instructor, and they might be able tell you if your clubs are hurting your game.

Agree it's a difficult one. I didn't get fit until I had a repeatable/consistent swing(good or bad). I don't think there is any benefit of getting fitted until that part of your game is ironed out. Lessons are where I would spend the money and then after that get fitted in my opinion. Good luck!

So after my putter fitting showed that I needed 2.5" off what came with my set, I started wondering about my other clubs. I'm far too new to be able to tell, and the stats on the website said 5'2" to 5'10" for my set. I'm 5'2". I'm pretty sure I will eventually need to either get them cut down or replace them - they are graphite, women's flex. But I'm pretty comfortable with them, or maybe I've adjusted my swing to them. I used to play with an old set of MacGregor men's clubs, and just gripped the clubs 2-3" down, but that was 15 years and a world of technology ago.

Here's the question - how do you know when your swing is consistent enough for a fitting? Is it a timing thing, or a dispersion test?

I know that my grips are definitely the wrong size, and I'm swapping those out slowly (not sure if I need a wrap or two, so experimenting with my driver and woods, my best clubs). And after that, my next $$ is going to be spent on a few lessons. But after all the stuff I've read here, I think the next most important thing is going to be ensuring these clubs are proper for me.

They make petit length clubs for women unless you just want to cut down a men's set.

Sounds like you're on the right path to me. Get your clubs comfortable with grips you prefer, take a couple lessons, and see what your pro says about getting a fitting. A fitting can help a lot of things, but you will need some consistency in your swing to see the benefits of the fitting. If you go through the fitting too soon and then take more lessons to make some substantial swing changes, the clubs you were fit for may not be what your improved swing needs. Good luck and have a ton of fun out there!

Thanks for all the thoughts, gents - at least my instincts are on the right path. And thanks, so-illhacker, I hadn't thought about lessons changing your swing that much. I had planned on next year sometime to maybe swap out the shafts and lie angles, but I'll see what the pro says. I am of two minds - my swing adapting to my clubs, or adapting clubs to my swing.

Maybe I'll just dig up an old set of men's MacGregors on Ebay and return to my old ways :D

It's time for a fitting whenever you like, but ideally when you are somewhat content with your swing and ready to take the reco's of that fitting to your bag. Best of luck!

It’s all personal preference and I don’t think it hurts to get one for most at any point. A good fitter is goin to be able to get a stump that works on your good contact and minimize your misses to be a little more playable.

I waited until my swing was consistent and I had my setup nailed down. Working with an instructor I changed my swing considerably during the first 6 months or so. I am actually having my first fitting today. Can't wait. Check your local stores and driving ranges to see if they have clinics that are much less expensive, although you don't get the one on one attention. Also most stores have a used club section that you can check out. Granted women's petite clubs may not be prevalent, but you never know. Most stores have practice areas where you can try out different clubs, don't be afraid to use these resources.

i like the idea of paying for a fitting to at least get an idea for your length and lie specs, and get your current set retrofitted for that. once you build up to some consistency, you could consider getting fit at that time. if you're actively getting lessons, i wouldn't get fit until your instructor recommends it. as so-ill said, that could really affect the before-and-after results.

I waited until my swing was consistent and I had my setup nailed down. Working with an instructor I changed my swing considerably during the first 6 months or so. I am actually having my first fitting today. Can't wait. Check your local stores and driving ranges to see if they have clinics that are much less expensive, although you don't get the one on one attention. Also most stores have a used club section that you can check out. Granted women's petite clubs may not be prevalent, but you never know. Most stores have practice areas where you can try out different clubs, don't be afraid to use these resources.

Cool! Be sure to post up how it goes - can't wait to hear it!

And thanks for the encouragement!

i like the idea of paying for a fitting to at least get an idea for your length and lie specs, and get your current set retrofitted for that. once you build up to some consistency, you could consider getting fit at that time. if you're actively getting lessons, i wouldn't get fit until your instructor recommends it. as so-ill said, that could really affect the before-and-after results.

Oh that's a really interesting idea too. I am in the process of arranging some lessons, either in a clinic or a one-on-one basis. If it's one-on-one, then I'll probably do what the pro recommends. I most certainly am NOT the expert!

I say go get fitted for lie and length now. If your club's are too long a slight adjustment in either might make a big difference.

Jmho

Peace

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the thoughts, gents - at least my instincts are on the right path. And thanks, so-illhacker, I hadn't thought about lessons changing your swing that much. I had planned on next year sometime to maybe swap out the shafts and lie angles, but I'll see what the pro says. I am of two minds - my swing adapting to my clubs, or adapting clubs to my swing.

Maybe I'll just dig up an old set of men's MacGregors on Ebay and return to my old ways :D
If you're asking the question.....then it's time.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Back