Golfing in Glasses: Transitions

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Anyone wear transition lenses in their RX glasses while golfing?

I get a new pair of glasses each year as part of my insurance, hence the "IceyShanks Starter Kit"

This year I went back to my roots with the all black plastic frames and have always had transition lenses in them for at least the last 5-6 years. I love them.

I typically get a sunglass frame and have my RX put in them but then I never have to take them off when going from inside to out, especially on the golf course, expect for driving a car, which RX sunglasses help!
lNKs5ZY.jpg

Not transitions, but I ordered a pair of Rx Golf Prizm lenses from Oakley for my glasses.

Transitions being they turn to sunglasses? I don’t have them. But I do occasionally wear my regular glasses while playing. It’s a bit funky however because I have no line trifocals. Bottom is reading which is where the ball sits at address so it’s a bit fuzzy. Middle is standard glasses and top is distance. Without wearing them I have trouble seeing where the ball is when it gets to the apex of its flight

Sent from HTX

I have for years with no issues.

I did last year, the only problem I had was on overcast days, they would get to dark. I have my Rx in Oakley Prizm lenses now and that is much better. Single vision only, left out the bi-focal.

I did last year, the only problem I had was on overcast days, they would get to dark. I have my Rx in Oakley Prizm lenses now and that is much better. Single vision only, left out the bi-focal.
Interesting, I haven't run into that, what do you mean too dark?

Yep. Have golfed with transitions for a while now without a problem.

I would have preferred contact lenses and sunglasses but my astigmatism seems to make it really tough for me to get along with contacts.

Interesting, I haven't run into that, what do you mean too dark?

My transition lenses get very dark, and on overcast days it can be hard to track the ball. On clear full sunny days (no clouds) it isn't a problem because of the clear sky, but when overcast and cloudy it becomes a problem. That is why I switched to the Prizm lenses with single vision, it doens't matter on cloudy days. The Prizm lens brightens everything (makes it sharper) and I don't have the issue of tracking the ball.
I'm not sure if you the transition lens can be ordered in a lesser tint or not but that would be great. I really prefer the Prizm lenses after using them for 3 months now.

Maybe it was the Bi-focal portion of the lens causing the tracking issue, but I don't think so.

My transition lenses get very dark, and on overcast days it can be hard to track the ball. On clear full sunny days (no clouds) it isn't a problem because of the clear sky, but when overcast and cloudy it becomes a problem. That is why I switched to the Prizm lenses with single vision, it doens't matter on cloudy days. The Prizm lens brightens everything (makes it sharper) and I don't have the issue of tracking the ball.
I'm not sure if you the transition lens can be ordered in a lesser tint or not but that would be great. I really prefer the Prizm lenses after using them for 3 months now.

Maybe it was the Bi-focal portion of the lens causing the tracking issue, but I don't think so.

My father-in-law wears bi-focals with transition lenses and he has issues tracking the ball as well. Not sure if the combination causes it or just the bi-focals. I wear transitions but only for myopia.

I got a pair of glasses that permanently stay in the golf bag as I can’t see the ball without them. I have funnily enough just got prescription lenses put into my Oakley Flak 2.0 for when it sunny. I hate wearing glasses because living in Scotland it rains a lot and rain drops on glasses is a total ball ache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't wear my Rx glasses to golf, just seem to play worse when I do.

My Rx glasses have transitions lenses and they can get fairly dark even without a lot of direct sun, since uv exposure level triggers the change. Most days it’s not a problem but when it’s overcast or the sun ducks Devon’s a cloud bank it can get difficult to track ball flights and such.

This is something I've wondered about before. My concern has always been tracking the ball if my glasses get to dark but more importantly, reading the greens. I'm too afraid to try going this route.

I tried it but it would never transition. I wear my hats like a baseball player from the 90s, with a fairly pronounced curve and somewhat low. I don’t do flat brims. I think that may affect the lenses transitioning. I need to get RX Prizm lenses to see if I can track the ball better or get better depth perception. My RX glasses just don’t work for me.

I have Transition lenses in my glasses and love them!

I wear tri-focals with graduating (no lines) and transition lenses. They are great and I've had no problems whatsoever on the course. I made sure I got good frames that wouldn't slip when it gets hot and the sweat beads start rolling.

Anyone wear transition lenses in their RX glasses while golfing?

I wear trifocals (progressives) with transitions everyday and have another set that are bifocals (progressives) with transitions in my golf bag. My golf glasses don't have the reading lens. Just intermediate and distance. No problem at all with the transitions.

I tried wearing my transitions for golf but the frames are really too small and I felt they didn't protect my eyes if I spent a lot of time in the sun. I wear my prescription sunglasses now, but, I just ordered prescription REKS (using the 20% off coupon someone posted here) and can't wait for them to arrive. I've been using a non-prescription version for biking and golf and really like them.

No probs unless cloudy then things can get pretty dark.

Just get Lasik. One of the greatest things I ever did after wearing glasses for over 20 years.

I have transitions and have for years. I like them and they haven't given me too much trouble on the course. Worst thing is coming into the clubhouse and they don't transition fast enough and it's hard to see.

I decided against transition lenses with my sunglasses & carry a case for whatever pair I’m not wearing at the moment. We play early in the morning so regular on the 1st tee then by the 4th or 5th hole I swap them out.

Just get Lasik. One of the greatest things I ever did after wearing glasses for over 20 years.

It’s not an answer for everyone. Glad you liked it but metal in the eye does things.

Never had transitions, and end up wearing regular glasses to golf.

This is the year I end up with proper rx sunglasses or transitions! Finally having insurance coverage will help a ton!

Back