G400 SF Tec vs Rogue draw driver

weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
I am hoping to hit both this week but was curious what people thought who have hit both? Switched from 10 finger (not true baseball) to overlap grip last season. It made a huge difference as my irons started to really get dialed in and far fewer penalty strokes taken w/ the driver. I will say w/ the change I have more issues releasing the hands so my natural ball flight w/ the driver is now a cut. If I am playing well its nothing bad, just a small cut. There are times where the true slice shows up but not 2 often. Just looking for a little help to hopefully gain back a little distance lost from the higher cut.

Haven't hit the Rogue (draw or otherwise) but do play the SFT driver and fairways (G400 SFT for driver and 3 wood, G SFT 5 wood). Play them in neutral setting, and for a bit was playing the driver in the slightly open setting. I think the weight position does help in a slight right to left (or mostly just straight). Love 'em. Came from G25 driver and 4 wood for the previous few years.

I do not like draw face positions on drivers, though I did use them at times in the past. In my opinion and others (including my own swing coach and Mark Crossfield) they can actually promote an outside to in path, especially over time and there's a slice waiting to happen.

I can relate to you working on getting your hands through if the face is staying open. And nothing wrong if you prefer a slight cut/fade. However, it really is the swing PATH, slightly inside to out that will promote a draw and reduce the slice that can crop up for you occasionally. Been there done that, and still working on it.

I note you are a 36 cap. I might suggest you might invest in a couple of lessons (if you aren't doing so already) to work on swingpath before you get fit for a driver.

thanks for the feedback. I'm not a 36 hdcp (though I could surely use a few lessons!). I guess that must be the default when setting up your account. Last year was my first year back after 5 years off. I think I finished at like a 14.8 USGA (I usually only look at my course hdcp). Started around a 20 and was probably playing to a 12-13 at the end. I definitely need some driver work though!

There are a couple guys in my group that play those drivers, and while I haven't hit either of them, I can say they have made a significant difference for both players off the tee. For reference, both of them are mid-teen handicaps. The guy who plays G400 is a bit longer off the tee, and the last time I was in a group with the guy who plays the Rogue, he seemed to hit every fairway. It was literally night and day difference from what he was gaming prior to the Rogue. All that said, I think either could benefit you, but it will come down to what you feel most comfortable with.

I actually hit both today. Unfortunately it was the absolute worst driver swing day in the history of golf fittings! No way to make a decision. I did however salvage the day by buying a rocket launcher rogue X 3 hybrid. Sheesh I smashed that thing. Not a good thing for your driver fitting when you are hitting a hybrid off the deck farther than the drivers. NOT in a good place now w/ my driver.

hope your next go round with them is better than your first. I personally have struggled with a wicked slice for years and mostly tamed it to a manageable fade. I do still come over the top, but I have some issues closing the face even on a very on plane swing so will hit a cut more often than not.

Today I decided to test my Epic SZ against the Rogue Draw. Draw was significantly straighter and using all strikes it was 6 yards longer. I am sure both are clubs that could help out those of us that fight the slice (as well as the Taylormade M4 Draw) but can't speak to which is better or anything like that. If you get to hit them both again please keep us posted on what you think.

Update on a old thread as I have been putting in quite a bit of work w/ the driver so the swing is much better. I went back and hit both again and here are my thoughts:
The rogue draw is clearly heavier (as swingweight would suggest). I have been gaming the G (not 400) SF Tec and liking it so the Rogue felt heavier than I preferred. Then I started hitting balls and it was glaringly clear the rogue draw was far superior for where my swing is right now. I really went into it wanting to like the SF Tec better but cant argue w/ results. The Rogue was 10-15 yards longer and MUCH more draw biased. Part of my slice fix w/ the driver has been a much stronger grip and I had to actually back off this a little w/ the Rogue since the first few I hit were power hooks. After getting the grip position a little closer to neutral it was the ball flight I have been getting w/ the regular G SF Tec but w/ added distance. I am going to demo it on course this weekend so will update then

Hope it works out for you. Early signs are promising. These 2 along with the Cobra drivers were my favorite series this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back