Polishing a club (driver) face

JohnSinVA

Porkins
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Knuth High Heat thread in the clubs forum piqued my curiosity here. If I find a mirror polished face helpful or desirable do I need to by a Knuth to get one, or can I take a current club and do a little DIY upgrading?

The metal on driver faces with a satin finish have what I'll call a "brushed" appearance to them, as if someone dragged a fine broom across the surface. In essence it is a series of fine scratches on the surface.

To get to a perfectly polished surface, one must replace the fine scratches with a succession of finer and finer scratches until they become essentially invisible. The easiest way to do so is sanding with successively finer grits of sandpaper. Doing so might yield something like this:

temporary_zpsht2dlu5f.jpg

temporary_zpstw1xbj8d.jpg

This is my old K15 driver. You can see the beginnings of a mirror polished face like the KHH, but not quite. There are still some visible scratches on the face that I felt were to deep to take out without potentially compromising the integrity of the face. Keep in mind that you are removing metal from an already thin face, and you don't want to overdo it. But you should be able to get to a similar look fairly quickly without much material removal. I was able to get to this point in about 15 minutes.

If you think you might like a polished face and have an older driver hanging around, thirty minutes and several grits of wet dry sandpaper can get you there.

Nice result!

Neat. But is that legal for handicap rounds or tournament play?

Neat. But is that legal for handicap rounds or tournament play?

I would imagine to be absolutely by the book you would need to have the COR verified, sort of like Roy Hobbs having to have Wonderboy measured for league play. In reality, unless you're really heavy handed, you're removing maybe 1-2 thousandths of material which probably wont make much of a difference.

This is mine ..... I polish it for cleaning purpose. I dont polish the face until mirror glass finish. The face is actually very grippy if I touch it.

20151125_212505_zpsyrkhtbtv.jpg

One of these day's I'm going to take that K15 somewhere with a Flightscope and see if it is still within COR limits. I suspect it will be, but I'm still curious.

I've thought about polishing mine so people can't tell how often I hit off the heel!

I dont think it would be anymore.

I did a quick rule skim and my understanding is that if the club began as conforming the modification is acceptable so long as the club remains conforming. If COR remains below the limit I would think it would pass muster.

I did a quick rule skim and my understanding is that if the club began as conforming the modification is acceptable so long as the club remains conforming. If COR remains below the limit I would think it would pass muster.

Look up face shaving.
It is not hard to alter a club head to make it illegal. Heck, see what groove sharpeners do and how quickly (one or two passes) they make a club illegal. The current drivers feature such a thin face that many times the smallest changes can deem them illegal.

This does not automatically disqualify yours, and you may not care either way. Just that it's something to consider before shaving down the face, or altering a club head.

Look up face shaving.
It is not hard to alter a club head to make it illegal. Heck, see what groove sharpeners do and how quickly (one or two passes) they make a club illegal. The current drivers feature such a thin face that many times the smallest changes can deem them illegal.

This does not automatically disqualify yours, and you may not care either way. Just that it's something to consider before shaving down the face, or altering a club head.

All I could find were links to razors :confused2:

What I did see was one company offering such a service with the caveat that it could affect groove depth to the point of making them non-existent. That's much more material removal than I've done in this case.

But your cautions are justified given the tight tolerances involved. That's why I chose my non-gamer to work on. But it might be useful if you like the look, or want the benefits of a polished face for practice sessions.

If I may suggest you, don't do it..... Face shaving will make your driver illegal for use with your friends ( you lose some respects from your golf friends , they will talk about your driver behind your back ) and if you are a strong hitter, the surface often crack !

Back