Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

UPS just updated there tracking and my clubs are scheduled for delivery this Thursday!!!!!
Now, to come up with a reason to skip work on Friday!!!!!!

Wasn't interested in updating irons. Well, at least until I hit these. Really, must resist, but they are really sweet.

Wasn't interested in updating irons. Well, at least until I hit these. Really, must resist, but they are really sweet.

I had a friend say the exact same thing yesterday. I mean literally word for word.

the forgiveness on these is just silly. i only hit about 15 balls on the range the 6i and 8i and some so so swings ended up being good results. ball barely moved off its line.

For those of you who have gotten these out on the course, what kind of distance gains are you seeing from your old irons?

For those of you who have gotten these out on the course, what kind of distance gains are you seeing from your old irons?
I've only played once with them. The wind was "in play". But I played my 6i from my normal 5i distance. But because of the wind, I can really say definitively what gains (or losses) I saw.

I probably should answer this as I've only hit maybe a dozen shots with Emart2173 set. Which are not near my specs. But since you have played a couple rounds with me, you have a bit of reference.

I hit the 5 really solid on a 165 yard par 3. I came up a bit short but in pretty sure my 5 wouldn't have come close.

On the range I was hitting the 7 about 140 to 145 ish. My 7 seems to go 135 ish.

I think properly fit I might even gain another yard or two.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The day I was fitted we were hitting on the range with a trackman. It showed a 22 yard gain over my Ping I20's. In reality on the course they have not been a 22 yard gain but it has been an easy 10 yard gain. For me while the gain in yardage is great it's the consistency and much tighter dispersion that makes these clubs awesome.

On well struck shots vs the previous Apex irons the distance is similar. The difference for me has been when I miss latterally and especially towards the toe.

I want to add that one of the reasons in my opinion for this extra forgiveness is the mass behind the ball low and across the entire face. Here is a better look at it.

Impact-M.jpg

And here is just another picture because I love the image.

Impact2-L.jpg

I think that these fit me just based on that feedback, toe is my miss and to know they still perform out there is crucial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in full ponder mode on these now. They feel tremendous and the numbers are definitely there. Here is what I saw at lunch.

image_8.jpg
[/URL][/
image_7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I hit these the other day while in Nashville. Very nice and if I was in the market for irons I would look at these hard. Didn't feel as harse a XR Pros

I will be interested to see the distance/dispersion against my current rocketbladez. Without hitting them I can guarantee they will sound a ton better... especially 4-6iron

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I cannot wait to get these in hand and in bag. I truly can't, the last time I was this excited about getting an iron set it was when I broke down and bought the first Apex.

I cannot wait to get these in hand and in bag. I truly can't, the last time I was this excited about getting an iron set it was when I broke down and bought the first Apex.
Enjoy them, captain. You've earned it!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

These continue to impress me. As far as distance I'm not seeing a big difference but I'm coming from XR Pro with CF. Maybe 7-10 in 5-6, and less from 7-AW. They feel quite a bit softer, less clicky, than XR Pro but not quite as soft as the original Apex. I'm loving them. Haven't hit any out on toe yet so can't comment on the forgiveness there. Hope I never have to. Dispersion continues to impress me. Much better than XR Pro.

I think you will be very happy. I went with the CF16 even though I came from XR Pro. Size and shape are close, so I took all forgiveness I could get. The look and set up very nice. Regular XR was just too big for my eye.

I think that these fit me just based on that feedback, toe is my miss and to know they still perform out there is crucial

You will like the results from a toe miss on these. Barely noticeable loss of distance if any and very close to same ball flight. This is based on visuals on the range and course, no monitor data to confirm what the number are. The more imhitnthese the more I like them. Cup face works

I just got a chance to hit them, and I have to say I like the older version better.

I think you will be very happy. I went with the CF16 even though I came from XR Pro. Size and shape are close, so I took all forgiveness I could get. The look and set up very nice. Regular XR was just too big for my eye.

Are you saying the CF16 are MORE forgiving than the XRpro's?

Are you saying the CF16 are MORE forgiving than the XRpro's?
In the limited time I've had them yes. I'm also saying the non pro version is very similar in size and set up look to my eye as the XRP. I don't like a big club head. So I'm going with all the forgiveness I can get in a club that sets up and still looks good to me at address.

I've been hitting the demo 6 and 7 iron in between customers at Dick's, been trying all of the shaft combo's. I'm in heavy ponder mode, I really like the XP 95 shaft, and have been shocked with the numbers from the Sim when you put the Recoil 780 on them, so sweet...

Already laying the ground work with my wife to trade in my X2 Hot irons for these.... Wish me luck...

Dax

You will like the results from a toe miss on these. Barely noticeable loss of distance if any and very close to same ball flight. This is based on visuals on the range and course, no monitor data to confirm what the number are. The more imhitnthese the more I like them. Cup face works

That is just awesome to hear, I can't wait to bring back my own personal feedback on these!

Back