The Photography Thread

Getting out of photography and moving back to R/C racing lol.
Now to sell off all this Canon gear!
Includes: Canon EOS 7D
Canon strap
Sigma 17-50 2.8 ex hsm lens
Canon 50mm lens
YN 568 EXII Flash
2- YN 622C remote units
3- 8 gig Sandisk Ultra 8gb cards
Canon backpack

Figured I would post this year.

The mrs is looking for a "good camera" as a christmas gift this year, I know absolutely nothing about them, would just be used primarily to take pics of the kids etc (nothing too crazy), any thoughts?

Figured I would post this year.

The mrs is looking for a "good camera" as a christmas gift this year, I know absolutely nothing about them, would just be used primarily to take pics of the kids etc (nothing too crazy), any thoughts?

One of the mirrorless options are a great choice. Can change lenses, crazy fast, quality video, etc.

One of the mirrorless options are a great choice. Can change lenses, crazy fast, quality video, etc.

any specific brand to avoid?

Not really. I liked the Nikon because the lenses were superior in my opinion. But they all are making quality cameras.

I just bought the Nikon D3300. Now just got figure out how to get out of auto.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I just bought the Nikon D3300. Now just got figure out how to get out of auto.

thats actually the exact one she asked me about

thats actually the exact one she asked me about
Good deal on it at Costco till the end of November.

not really, most make good products. I am sold to Pentax, but anything Nikon, Canon or Pentax will be great.

I would say avoid Pentax, but that's my heavy bias showing.
I like Sony, Nikon, and Canon for mirrorless micro 4/3 cameras.

not really, most make good products. I am sold to Pentax, but anything Nikon, Canon or Pentax will be great.

Sorry, I just remember this little tune by the photo club whenever I talk cameras and Pentax comes up. :D

Camera equipment is like golf equipment. Everyone likes their own brand. My brother is a reporter so he is into Nikon because that is standard issue for that industry. I have a Canon T5i with all the attachments. My wife has a Canon SX700HS which is very simple to use and takes great pictures but no attachments.

It kind of depends on if you want to get into flash, extra lenses etc. It is like finding a good golf pro but in this case find a good camera store. Good luck and have fun.

Just saw in my Costco flyer Canon T5 will be a black Friday special at $399 which is a steal for a DSLR with 2 lenses. Remember with a DSLR (think swappable lenses) you're buying into a system. You can purchase zoom lenses, fish eye or macro lenses, and many in between. My family and friends all shoot Canons so I bought a Canon so if I ever needed something or they needed something in a pinch we would have it.

Maybe she just wants a simple "point and shoot" with a nice zoom lens and video. DSLR's can be heavy and bulky and she may not want to lug around all that while with the kids.

Here's a great place to get an idea on prices and equipment http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

One from a little day trip yesterday:

22681628913_6f78b192aa_h.jpg

Finally officially building my own light box. Going to use a copier box (huuuuuge) to do it. Basically my ocd requires something I can actually center the clubs up in the middle of the frame at the proper angles, obviously club length can make this tricky. I'm finicky when it comes to my pictures though.

Should have the box here in the next few days then I can get all my other materials and extra lights. Found some pretty cool how to's on the net but nothing this size. It'll either work or be a massive failure hahahahaha

Finally officially building my own light box. Going to use a copier box (huuuuuge) to do it. Basically my ocd requires something I can actually center the clubs up in the middle of the frame at the proper angles, obviously club length can make this tricky. I'm finicky when it comes to my pictures though.

Should have the box here in the next few days then I can get all my other materials and extra lights. Found some pretty cool how to's on the net but nothing this size. It'll either work or be a massive failure hahahahaha
I looked in to it, space decided I needed something I could throw up and then store. But the how to videos on the net make it look easy and seem pretty effective.

Who'd have thought there'd be a photography thread here? I'm not very good at golf although trying to get better, but have greatly enjoyed photography over the years.

Suggestions for a light box:

- The Strobist site has a good overview for how to cut the box: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html
- If you have one use an external flash to shoot through the paper windows, if you don't have flashes you could try a lamp

I primarily use mine for product photos. Here's an example with two external flashes, one of the left and one on the right:

23985544275_91cff30b47_o.jpg

Regards
Dave

Last edited:
Making the Switch from a Nikon D7000 to a Canon 6D with a 24-105 f/4L and i love it.

Just gotta get rid of my Nikon stuff before i can get more Canon gear.

I've been contemplating that switch as well. Currently have a Nikon D7100 with a bunch of lenses, but want to move to a full frame at some point. Looked at the D750, D610 and 6D. Only issue is I'd have to switch all my gear to Canon. Don't know if I really want to put the time and effort into that...Love the 6D though. It's a fantastic camera.

I've thought about it, but I don't think I'll ever switch. I've got some lenses my dad gave me from the 60s that work with my d200. I'll save the Canon for p'n's and video stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I just now stumbled across this thread - not sure how I missed it all this time. I've been more or less an amateur photographer since the mid 1970's. I started with a Minolta SRT-201 (actually my grandmother bought me a Kodak Brownie when I was about 10, but I don't really count that). I shot quite a bit into the mid 80's, then golf took over and the camera collected dust until I gave it to my niece in the mid 90's. In 2010 I bought a Canon T1i, then a year later traded it in for a 60D and that's what I still use today.

I have 5 lenses, all Canon: EF-S 10-22 zoom, EF-S 17-55 zoom, EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro, EF 100mm f2.8 L macro, and EF 70-200 f4 L IS with 1.4 teleconverter.

I carry my camera most trips, even if I'm just going to Denver for the day. I shoot mostly landscapes with some occasional wildlife. I am the world's worst portrait photographer.

A few samples, mostly processed in Lightroom, with occasional assistance from PS Elements.

A common lizard seen in the Bahamas. Actual size about 6 inches long.

i-kSkJznQ-XL.jpg

A panorama stitched from 6 images, taken north of Cody Wyoming

i-xGPk6Ld-XL.jpg

Then I had to throw in a golf image: Keystone Ranch course in Keystone Colorado.

i-sd25XLh-XL.jpg

One taken last fall along the upper Colorado just a few miles west of its source in Rocky Mountain National Park.

i-wCB5bZ8-XL.jpg

Those are some impressive shots Fourputt. Love the lizard shot.

Good looking shots. Any post work?

Good looking shots. Any post work?

All are processed to some degree in Lightroom. Mostly just developing the raw images. Here is a sample of one that hangs in our dining room. This is a shot of my wife's family farm (continuously farmed by her family for more than 100 years), about 2 miles from our house. The first one is the developed raw converted to jpeg, and the second one is further processed to look like an old photograph, colors dimmed to a sepia look, with vignette and grain added. All work done in Lightroom 6.

i-jcsW9ZX-XL.jpg

i-4Mtxs8J-XL.jpg

Looking into external flashes a lot lately. I never realized just how much they can help on some things.

I also really want lightroom still.

Oh I am SO fixing to up the ante on my homepage photographs.

#Boom

Back