THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

So answer this one honestly because it is a tough one.

What is the one thing you are most concerned with leading up to this event? (It could be a part of your game, It could be course management, Could be the strength of the other team, maybe playing 36 holes in one day etc. ) Also what are you doing or planning to do to minimize your concern?

I think for me it's the limited time I have to put in this right now, I work obscene hours and travel so much it's a struggle right now. Come March I should have some good time to put in on the range and a lot more time to be a forumite.

What is the one thing you are most concerned with leading up to this event? (It could be a part of your game, It could be course management, Could be the strength of the other team, maybe playing 36 holes in one day etc. ) Also what are you doing or planning to do to minimize your concern?

Seems like both captains like us to answer all the questions. Aside from not being selected, my biggest concern is playing horribly and "embarrassing" myself. I am a good golfer, but even good golfers have really bad days. As I have learned throughout my working career, do your best to prepare and everything generally works out okay.

Preparation will be as follows:

1. work at home on putting. I have an indoor drill where I work on hitting my intended line since that is a key aspect to good putting.
2. work on chipping/pitching. Hitting greens typically dictates my success and my bad holes occur when I miss. I will be practicing hitting to targets in my backyard or at the chipping green at the course.
3. I will probably take a couple of lessons on my full swing just to get things tightened up. Feedback from my last lesson was to keep my head behind the ball on the downswing.
4. Since RNK is about 45 minutes from my house, I plan on getting a few rounds in before July....starting at 11:27 tomorrow.

One concern and one that I'm not sure is a concern but an unknown. The unknown is 36 holes in a day, been several years since I have done that but with the work I'm doing on nutrition and working out that shouldn't be an issue.

concern is my game. I tend to have stretches where my game gets a little wonky, it's usually later in the year, usually due to lack of practice and playing time because of commitments with school and work. I am planning to put in more work this year than I did last year to help keep things as consistent as possible and avoid even some rounds in the middle of the season that seem to get away from me because one aspect of the game disappeared.

Not worried about the 36 holes - I do it a few times a year so that is fine. I'm most concerned with making informed decisions about course management.

I will take a trip down and try to get two rounds on the course so I can have familiarity with the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing enough to get in. The course, 27 or 36 holes in a day, none of it matters if you're a spectator.

Edit because I just realized it was a two part question: I've started seriously working on aspects of my game a whole lot sooner than I used too, plus I'm trying to offer constructive input where I can, hard to do when your game is weak.

Last edited:
I will take a trip down and try to get two rounds on the course so I can have familiarity with the course.

Since we are a team, hopefully those of us that can get to the course more often can provide real time feedback on how to play holes for those that can only get in a few rounds before the event.

The issue I am having with my right hip area. It flared today, and it seems to affect my finish. I Haven't been able to get a day off to get to the chiro, but I am going wednesday. Have a Dr appt this week - going to have him set me up for an mri just to make sure its not anything major. Will do more putting and short game work rather than full swings this week

I'm worried about maintaining a steady energy level throughout the day. I think with proper snack planning I can mitigate those concerns. I'm fit enough for that many holes in one day, if I manage my energy well.

Also gotta square away my driver before then.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

My main concern is that (if chosen for the team) I have one of those famous off-days. I believe that this is what I'm going to work on the most, being more consistent. 84 or 104, it all depends on how I feel that particular day. The good thing is that I know what kind of day it is going to be before I even touch a club, it's all about how my body feels on that given day. Luckily it won't be cold in July, so that takes one factor out of my poor play. With a bunch of steel in my body, if it gets cold I just can't move very well. The best way for me to minimize this is to take it easy a week or so out from the event and don't try to over-prepare or cram just before the event. Let my body rest and heal in order to perform the best.

The other team is no concern, you have to play your game, you can't control what they do.

Course Management can be handled with a great partner and some time on the course before the big day. I generally have issues with course management on a course I've never seen before and when there's nothing on the line but that will not be an issue for this event because I will see the course a couple times before the big day. There's just no reason not to, with it being close enough to everyone to make a day trip if necessary.

36 holes in a day isn't an issue for me when riding in a cart either. I am known to play 36 a day quite often and typically play better the 2nd round of the day.

My Captain putting a boot in my Ass (you know he wears steel toe ones) if he feels I'm not working hard enough.

So so ill be sure that doesn't happen.

My concern is that despite the work I am putting in, that I'll get to the event and play like I've never swung a golf club before. It's a confidence thing ...

I'm trying to get to know my game, my swing, and how - if I tweak certain things like setup - does my ball flight change. I'm trying to go from being a hacker to being a golfer.

Last edited:
My concern is that despite the work I am putting in, that I'll get to the event and play like I've never swung a golf club before. It's a confidence thing ...

I'm trying to get to know my game, my swing, and how - if I tweak certain things like setup - does my ball flight change. I'm trying to go from being a hacker to being a golfer.

You have some serious weapons in your hands with the C200s. Get your driver going and you'll have no problem holding your own.

I would have to say it's performing when the time comes. I know I have it in me and I've seen it. Sometimes my lack of experience shows up when inplay with new people, and sometimes I'm able to just go along like nothing is new and play some good golf. I could shoot 78 one day and shoot 88 the next. I know a lot of that comes down to my tee ball, but just making sure I minimize my miss so I can recover.

right now the only time I've played golf the last 2 months it's with my courses toss up group. I've made some good friends but it's been good to play under pressure every time and have something at stake. Also making sure I arrive to the course to hit some balls and get some good reps in.

I'm not really concerned about any one thing, just a few little ones.....like getting on the team first! After that I am only concerned about being the best team mate I can. Whether that involves playing as well as I think I'm capapable or supporting my team mates or letting the rest of THP know all details of the event or whatever else it takes. It's not totally clear to me what that means but as I continue to prepare to play and follow this topic, I learn more each day. The one thing that is clear is that we can't lose to the Carolinas, not because they aren't great people but my competitive nature just won't accept it in my head! I'm also not concerned that everyone that is fortunate enough to be involved is going to have a great time, that's a given!

One thing that I'm most concerned about is mental fatigue over those 36 holes. I am working to eliminate any physical fatigue via my workouts, but the thoughts that will inevitably rise and muddle my brain worry me.

I'm on vacation for another week (not able to play here due to the holidays), but when I get back to the states I will be following the plan outline in my Road to RR thread to eliminate the need for excess thinking while swinging.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

With your dedication to the game as a whole, you got this in the bag.

One concern and one that I'm not sure is a concern but an unknown. The unknown is 36 holes in a day, been several years since I have done that but with the work I'm doing on nutrition and working out that shouldn't be an issue.

concern is my game. I tend to have stretches where my game gets a little wonky, it's usually later in the year, usually due to lack of practice and playing time because of commitments with school and work. I am planning to put in more work this year than I did last year to help keep things as consistent as possible and avoid even some rounds in the middle of the season that seem to get away from me because one aspect of the game disappeared.

Not having enough time to practice to get my game where I want it to be (all phases). In terms of what I am doing to minimize that is to play and practice when I can and make the most of that time.

My concern would be my over the top swing shows up. The best thing I can do is think back to one drill and swing the club instead of trying to hit the ball.

Letting a teammate/my captain down is the biggest concern I have. I want to make sure I do my part in EVERY single aspect of this event. I want to represent DMV to perfection.

Practice, working on touch shots! I want to really fine tune all of the small details on the golf course.

One thing that I'm most concerned about is mental fatigue over those 36 holes. I am working to eliminate any physical fatigue via my workouts, but the thoughts that will inevitably rise and muddle my brain worry me.

I'm on vacation for another week (not able to play here due to the holidays), but when I get back to the states I will be following the plan outline in my Road to RR thread to eliminate the need for excess thinking while swinging.

The good news is your opponent will be going through the same fatigue, so if you prep like are there's a great chance for victory buddy.

For those that are worried about getting on a Team, perhaps you're focused on the wrong thing.

That's the goal! :)
The good news is your opponent will be going through the same fatigue, so if you prep like are there's a great chance for victory buddy.

My biggest concern is worrying about how I'm gonna play in front of new people. I have game but when I get around some new guys i tend to lock up. I can still get the job done but my heart is racing. I've gotta work in the nerves and get out and play out side of my comfort zone

Back