PGA Tour Requires Pros to Add New Events to Their Schedules

They would NEVER suspend the ones that are most effected by this new rule. Not going to happen one way or another.

That being said, how hard would it be for the top guys to comply. Probably not hard in the least? If they are for the game, they will comply.

I think you're right about actually suspending top guys but you never know.

I disagree on the bolded part. While I'm sure some are for the "love of the game" I would hazard to bet most are doing for the W2.

I disagree on the bolded part. While I'm sure some are for the "love of the game" I would hazard to bet most are doing for the W2.

Many tournaments offer very similar purses IIRC. I personally don't think the top guys pick and choose which tournaments they play based on a few tens of thousands of dollars one way or the other. I think it's more strategy as far as rest intervals. Especially when they get close to the Majors run.

If you look at the schedule, most tournaments hover around the $1M mark (give or take a few $100K, LOL) for the winners.
http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

I like the idea of stripping FedEx points; think that would be more effective than the fine and suspensions will hurt the tour more than the players; the guys at the top don't need more money.

A possible downside is that it may make it more difficult for some of thelower ranked players to get that first win.

I like the idea of stripping FedEx points; think that would be more effective than the fine and suspensions will hurt the tour more than the players; the guys at the top don't need more money.

I agree - much better idea.

A possible downside is that it may make it more difficult for some of thelower ranked players to get that first win.

Funny thing is that this is the first thing that I thought of - the lower ranked guys and younger guys looking for the top 10 finishes and wins are probably really pissed off because it means that there will be far fewer under the radar tournaments that don't have at least a handful of the highly ranked players.

Hopefully this helps the RBC Canadian Open a little bit, but it's a bit weird to me. The PGA Tour has already proven that they have ZERO interest in enforcing their own rules and regulations if you are a "big name player" when it comes to pace of play...I don't see how this will be any different.

Also agree with DGord that this could actually hurt the up and coming players a little bit, if anyone cares.

How about instead of a fine they dock FedEx Cup points then the guys who this is targeted at would have actual motivation to play new events.

I'm with ya Fuppy. I think this would be more motivation however like you said with the possibility of suspension I guess it gives it a little more back bone.

If they play 25 events they don't have to add events. Most play that many so the rule has plenty of wiggle room. Life time members are exempt. I don't see many of suspension coming.

One new event every 4 years? I can't imagine this isn't complied with already by most just because of normal calendar shakeups.

This rule does nothing to bring big names to smaller tournaments. So every 4 years ?

I'm Phil Mickelson. I played in 19, 21, 21, 22, 21, 20, 18 and 21 events last 8 years. To comply over the next 4 years, in 2016 I sub Bay Hill (which I did not play in in 2015) for the Farmers tournament. (oops never mind -as I typed this forgot he lived in San Diego and loves this one. He likes to pay state taxes apparently.)

Word on the street is he will be moving soon to a tax free state to save north of 5-6 million a year in income taxes. So perfect! His family can shop for a new home in Florida, while he plays Bay Hill (which is a pretty big tournament anyway) and not play ... hmmm - I'm having a hard time subbing a tournament cause when you only play 21 -they are all kind of good. ok - Bill Clinton's stupid tournament can go - (Looks like that's an official tournament) problem solved. See you in 4 years someone else.

Back to same schedule till 2019?

This helps how?

How about instead of a fine they dock FedEx Cup points then the guys who this is targeted at would have actual motivation to play new events.

Makes more sense than the fine - they sneeze $20K (Most of the guys)

Back