wedge spacing advice

bmxsulli

Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice on what to do about a gap in my game right now.
I've been noticing a HUGE gap between my sand and pitching wedge, and that my PW hits more like a 9i. Well, come to find out, my PW is actually a 44*, and my 9i is a 39*. I currently have a 56* SW, and a 60* LW.

So my initial thought was to grab a 50* to split the difference, making my wedge setup: 44, 50, 56, 60.
but now I'm wondering if i should buy a 48 and a 52, making it: 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, essentially pushing my current PW to a 9i.
i have the room in my bag for both, and I'm wondering if its worth it to have those options. Does anyone have experience with a 6* gap vs 4* gaps?

or am i overthinking it, and should just shut up and get a 50 to split the difference haha

thanks for any input.

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice on what to do about a gap in my game right now.
I've been noticing a HUGE gap between my sand and pitching wedge, and that my PW hits more like a 9i. Well, come to find out, my PW is actually a 44*, and my 9i is a 39*. I currently have a 56* SW, and a 60* LW.

So my initial thought was to grab a 50* to split the difference, making my wedge setup: 44, 50, 56, 60.
but now I'm wondering if i should buy a 48 and a 52, making it: 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, essentially pushing my current PW to a 9i.
i have the room in my bag for both, and I'm wondering if its worth it to have those options. Does anyone have experience with a 6* gap vs 4* gaps?

or am i overthinking it, and should just shut up and get a 50 to split the difference haha

thanks for any input.
I thunk your idea of 48 and 52 makes the. Most sense. Of course this depends on the courses you play and the yardages you most commonly hit. My wedges are pw 45 gw 52 and sw 56 with no 60. I do have a 2 and 3 iron in the bag though so no room for more wedges!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think it all depends on how confident you are at hitting yardages with your clubs and what kind of swings you like to make with them. If making a full swing with a 50* would give you a better result than a partial swing with a 48* or a hard 52*, then go with that

I'll split the difference since I have mostly 5* at the lower end (XR Pros); 9i 40*, PW 45*, AW 50*, SW 56*, LW 60*. I've thought about having my next SW bent to 55*, but I'm pretty comfortable where I am with my short game yardages for now.

thanks for any input.
My bag goes 45 pw 52 gw and 56 sw. That spacing works just fine for me. I also prefer to have 2 and 3 iron in the bag so don't have the option of more wedges!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

44* is actually pretty standard these days. I am one to not get hung up on the number of the club and go more with what gives me the proper gapping. For instance, my last set was 45 PW, 50 GW bent to 48, 54 and 58. Before I had the 50 bent to 48, I only had about 6 yards from 50 to 54 and a good 20 yards from 45 to 50. After the adjustment, my gapping went to 12 yards on full swings between all 4 wedges.

General rule of thumb is a 4-6* gap as this should give you between 12-16 yards between each on full swings. Imo the yaradages as well as how wedges are used is what needs to be considered. When I played a 44* wedge a few years back I had to play a 48* bent 1* strong. then I played 52, 56 bent to 57* and 60

thanks for any input.

Wedges and setups appear to be very personal every time this sort of question comes up.

I actually prefer my wider 46° / 52° / 60° to cover the lot simply because there is less overlap, but that's not necessarily for everyone.

Look at it this way - if you get a 48° & 52°, what shots would they be giving you that could you not get from a 50° or by manipulating the clubs either side (44° / 56°)? I suspect that if you look at your answers to that question, you'll have an idea which way makes sense for you.

6 degrees , I want to make the distance separation more obvious.

I think it depends upon you and the way you prefer to play your scoring shots. Personally, I'd split the difference and go with the 50 but I'm very comfortable playing a myriad of partial shots with any of my scoring clubs, in fact that's my preference. Some golfers strongly prefer, and are more consistent playing from full swing distances with their scoring weapons. If that's you the 48 & 52 option might make more sense.

I was almost in an identical situation as you. I have a 45 PW and was looking for the right wedges. I ended up going with a 52, 56, 60. Let me explain why.

I assumed I would not need anything in between the 45 and 52...and so far that’s been true for me. It’s easy to “back off” on the PW for the shots I need that fall between a full PW and a full 52. And for the record full power 52,56,60 wedge shots are rare for me. Very inconsistent and why bother if you subscribe to the Dave Pelz 4x3 System where you have 3 distinct swings for 4 wedge clubs. (=12 known shot carries short of full PW distance.)

Works for me.

I've used the 48, 52, 56, and 60* setup before when I gamed more distance oriented irons and really liked that setup. Gapping was spot on in my scoring clubs and I felt good about any yardage I hit too for approach shots. The problem became big gaps in the top end, but when I needed to I would drop the 60 and put in a hybrid, it's sort of course dependent and personal.

Like everyone has said it depends on your game. I carry 5 wedges, a 48, 52, 56, 60 and a zero bounce 60 for around the green and tight shots. I prefer to hit full shots with my wedges than half shots.

6° is a large gap between wedges. I’m a bit different though. I play my set PW which is 46°, then 50°, then 52°, and 56°. I have a custom grind on the 56° that I can hood or open up to sit almost flat depending on shot needed. In the end I would get a wedge fitting. That’ll tell you what you need

Sent from HTX

thanks everyone, it seems like i suspected; it depends on your preference. I do like the point of just being able to back off on the pitching wedge more easily (which is what I've currently been forced to do with a 12* gap). having 5 wedges does seem a little overkill.

Yeah, for me...backing off always makes for more consistent shots versus "powering up" or trying to really smash it. Whenever I can take less loft and "back off" I usually do that if I find myself in a situation requiring a full power wedge shot.

My PW is 44 degrees and then I go 48/52/58

With those I rarely use a full swing with the 58, and I will often use a partial 48 over a full 52 as well. The 48 is the only one that I would use with a full swing

It is all down to personal preference, but if you can get a fitting and some distances figured out then you will soon adapt to what you have in the bag

My PW is 44* too. My favorite part of golf is the short game, so I used to carry 5 wedges: 44, 49 (bent to 48), 52, 56, and 60. I started tracking how often I hit each wedge during my rounds, and I soon realized that I almost never hit both the 52 and 56 in the same round; it was almost always one or the other. So I traded in my 52 and 56 for a 54, allowing me to add another tee option at the top of the bag. I love this setup. I think carrying only 4 wedges helps my confidence, because I spend less time contemplating which club/shot to hit; now, depending on the distance and lie, the decision is pretty automatic--I carry a low bounce 60 for tight lies.

I did add a 64* Sure Out this off-season to play with though, so it may find its way into my bag from time-to-time. But it's easier to remove a second LW than a GW.

With my Wishon irons, I had a 48° PW, 52° GW.

The PC3 irons I'm carrying now are 47° PW and 51° GW, I think. My other wedges are 56° SW and 60° LW in the Dynacraft DM wedges.

My Wishon 9i is 44° and I believe the PC3 is 43°.

I have contemplated going to a 48°, 54°, 60° setup, but until I feel like I need another option at the top of the bag, I'm gonna say where I am.

sometimes, it's ok to hit a PW (44, 45, 46) only a 100 yards. I can still hold my man card.

sometimes, it's ok to hit a PW (44, 45, 46) only a 100 yards. I can still hold my man card.

I don't see this post as a means of talking down to anyone for their iron distances. I think it's more concerned with the yardage gaps.

That being said, I would never talk down to anyone for their iron distances. First of all, my distances aren't exactly long anyway. Second, irons are about distance, they're about accuracy. I don't care if you only hit your PW 80 yards and can't get a 4i past 160. If you can hit them all predictable yardages, then that's the name of the game.

I don't see this post as a means of talking down to anyone for their iron distances. I think it's more concerned with the yardage gaps.

That being said, I would never talk down to anyone for their iron distances. First of all, my distances aren't exactly long anyway. Second, irons are about distance, they're about accuracy. I don't care if you only hit your PW 80 yards and can't get a 4i past 160. If you can hit them all predictable yardages, then that's the name of the game.

Maybe I should have elaborated better. I didn't see this as talking down to anyone either.
I was just trying to say, I carry a 46 (PW), 51, 56 and a 60. My 51 is the 100-110 club but sometimes I feel better hitting my PW 100 yards than my 52. That's all I was trying to say. It's about a controlled swing and accuracy with wedges moreso than how far you can hit it.
I wasn't trying to call out anyone nor have ill feeling...

Back