Intelligent Golf Club Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is an interesting concept, and I'm glad Dean touched on the ball composition as that was one of the first things I was thinking about.

I do agree with the closing statements about the service not being for everyone. Is it a neat idea? Sure, especially for someone who golfs a lot and doesn't care about the name on their ball. I'm not sure if I see the long term value in it though; I hope to be proven wrong.

Nice review Dean. I have a hard time getting on board with the subscription boxes of any nature. I think I just rather pick my own stuff out at the end of the day. And really if I feel I have an extra 20 to 50 bucks laying around to just have random stuff come to my door that money would be better served on a round of golf.

• Admin
This is an interesting concept, and I'm glad Dean touched on the ball composition as that was one of the first things I was thinking about.

I do agree with the closing statements about the service not being for everyone. Is it a neat idea? Sure, especially for someone who golfs a lot and doesn't care about the name on their ball. I'm not sure if I see the long term value in it though; I hope to be proven wrong.

I tend to agree with you. One of the biggest issues with golf ball subscription services is players admitting they lose more than they do. Its the same reason that green grass is so effective for ball sales as people realize it too late.

that package seems a bit bland to me, not sure I would subscribe if I was in their delivery range.

the value seems to be there however, if the ball is somewhat good

Interesting someone would go down that road. I think if they could partner with a well known ball company and get a few cheap sleeves in a box, it would certainly help. Id personally never spend $20 a month on this service as it stands now.

I wish them good luck in their venture but it is going to be tough. Golf ball and gloves are very personal to many of us and to pay a monthly subscription for a random no name ball and glove is probably not going to fly. Great review though Dean.

Interesting someone would go down that road. I think if they could partner with a well known ball company and get a few cheap sleeves in a box, it would certainly help. Id personally never spend $20 a month on this service as it stands now.

Its not really something that would interest me as currently packaged. I normally go out before the season starts and pick up a bag/box of tees, hit up a glove sale, and golf balls aren't an issue. Some of the other items are OK, but I get the feeling it would become very repetitive and bland. I'm sure there is a market for it, but I'm not the demographic.

I'm too finicky about how my well gloves fit and wear to give this a go.
Solid review Dean and the service will be a good fit for some, even if not me.

I'm not big into subscription services in general, and it's a harder sell for me with golf given the season is only 2/3 of the year or so. I think it's also tough with balls being a big part of it - what if the ball isn't the best choice for a given golfer? I guess I'm skeptical that this is going to be a sustainable in the long run.

Its not really something that would interest me as currently packaged. I normally go out before the season starts and pick up a bag/box of tees, hit up a glove sale, and golf balls aren't an issue. Some of the other items are OK, but I get the feeling it would become very repetitive and bland. I'm sure there is a market for it, but I'm not the demographic.

This is my feeling exactly - I'll buy a few dozen balls when there's a buy two get one, and gloves are one of the easiest things to find at a discount. A box of evolve tees will nearly get me through a season.

Saw all I needed to see in the pics from the article. If I'm signing up for a subscription service I do not want company branded stuff, I want name brand stuff. This is where another subscription box company lost me. While the $20 is not bad as Dean mentioned, for me I'd rather spend the money on something else. An IGC branded golf ball is not something I am ever going to use just like the rest of the package.

I’m not 100% sure there is a market for it. Really not seeing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw all I needed to see in the pics from the article. If I'm signing up for a subscription service I do not want company branded stuff, I want name brand stuff. This is where another subscription box company lost me. While the $20 is not bad as Dean mentioned, for me I'd rather spend the money on something else. An IGC branded golf ball is not something I am ever going to use just like the rest of the package.

whats funny is that I hit the balls last night, and they were surprisingly decent. Good spin and distance. The glove is pretty solid(also used last night), and I like that it's a magnetic ball marker, so I can swap that out.

A company like OnCore could put 2ball sleeves in the IGC pack, along with other companies like Snell, Vice, etc. The consumer could then add-on to their subscription with their ball of choice.

Very interesting stuff Dean, nice review. I am not a huge fan of subscription boxes in general after being burnt on a few, and this one kind of illustrates why I hold that opinion now. It is not for everyone, but for someone looking for a little something special each month for a spare Jackson, it is kind of cool.

I tend to agree with you. One of the biggest issues with golf ball subscription services is players admitting they lose more than they do. Its the same reason that green grass is so effective for ball sales as people realize it too late.
I'm thinking the mid round purchase also helps those sales, seen more than my fair share of golfers hit the pro shop at the turn! For more than a snack or drink.

The thing I've never understood about these types of services, is any example box of items I've seen makes me think it isn't worth the money, not that you aren't getting your value, but it's items I wouldn't buy or would buy an alternative product to and would be willing to spend a few extra dollars to do so.

I wonder if one of these services could put out a menu of sorts before the boxes go out. I'd be willing to pay a bit of a premium to select, even from a limited list, what I was getting.

I'm thinking the mid round purchase also helps those sales, seen more than my fair share of golfers hit the pro shop at the turn! For more than a snack or drink.

The thing I've never understood about these types of services, is any example box of items I've seen makes me think it isn't worth the money, not that you aren't getting your value, but it's items I wouldn't buy or would buy an alternative product to and would be willing to spend a few extra dollars to do so.

I wonder if one of these services could put out a menu of sorts before the boxes go out. I'd be willing to pay a bit of a premium to select, even from a limited list, what I was getting.

I dont disagree, but I am not sure the margins would be there. What do you think?

I dont disagree, but I am not sure the margins would be there. What do you think?

for the consumer being to order a box like that would be cool, but that would be hard for a company to make a good profit on. So yeah, I doubt the margins are there.

Not a fan of subscription services like this, but I think that it would make a fun gift. A limited subscription (say 3 months) to send to someone for a birthday, Christmas or Thank You gift would be good option. I can see sending this to my golfing brother and nephews who live across the country.

Nice review Dean. Doubt I would ever do something like this but, as you said, if the ball performs reasonably well, $20 is not a bad price at all. The poker chip game sounds fun and can get a little pricey for the guy holding the chip..haha.

Short Par 4 was enough of a letdown I am not sure if I could ever commit to another subscription service

It is an interesting concept but I don't know that I would ever but into it. There are rounds that I play the same ball start to finish and then there are days I chose to play a cheaper ball because my swing isn't there. It is something I will keep an eye on though as it could be a growing trend if they get traction.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good write up on this. It's not something that really interests me, especially when it's equipment from a company I've never heard of. I tried Short Par 4 once based on the fact that it would be name brand but was let down by that. I'm sure these products are fine but a subscription for golf balls is not something I want or need.

for the consumer being to order a box like that would be cool, but that would be hard for a company to make a good profit on. So yeah, I doubt the margins are there.

That was my thought exactly Dean, I think you could get a better subscription rate or referral network, as it would be a better product for each consumer, but I have no doubt the headache and operations would eat away at the margins pretty quick.

Back