What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

currently playing srixon zstar, great ball for distance, has a nice soft feel, good spin. I wont play another brand other than srixon.

Since I was out there solo today I decided to play a few balls and only keep score for my first shot.

I played the usual suspects:

Nike RZN White (volt)
W/S Duo Spin
DT TruSoft

Nike RZN:

This ball is just a solid performer for me. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love on here. It's great off the driver and feels great off irons and wedges. I have no problem getting this ball to check and stop. It always lands within a foot or two of its mark on the full iron shots. In short wedge shots it's extremely comparable to everything listed. The firmest feeling off the driver in the bunch. Just a good all around ball for $21.99/doz

W/S Duo Spin:

First time out with this ball and didn't notice a huge increase over the duo. Also a solid ball. This was definitely the softest of the bunch off the driver. It's almost a tie for mor me when compared to the Nike RZN white as an all around performer. For some reason this ball felt almost "marshmallow-ish" off the driver on a few swings but ball was still on the FW each time I took a crack with it. This ball also produced the same distance gains as the DUO did for me. It did have a SLIGHTLY better feel for me than the DUO but don't know yet if it merits the price increase. Verdict is still out on this one

DT TruSoft

I think this will be my gamer for the foreseeable future. It does everything well and is very comparable to the Nike RZN off the driver but with a slightly better feel to it. This ball also flights considerably lower for me off the Driver than the above balls. One of the best feeling balls off irons and short wedge shots. Actually this ball and the duo spin felt very very similar off irons and short wedges but felt I could control the DT TruSoft just a TAD more. When I hit it well struck ball with the driver with the DT Trusoft it just felt solid. You get that "I crushed that one" feeling that the above mentioned balls didn't give me (maybe the Nike on a few). This is also the ball that produced the most spin for me with wedges. On a 130yrd Par 3 (slightly elevated Tee) I hit a GW 10yrds past the flag and this ball spun back 5ft. On iron shots this ball was either right next to it or just under its landing mark. Never passed it. I also see the distance gain on flushed shots that i saw with the Duo. Solid ball from Titleist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the TruSoft feel off the putter for you? I'm starting to get back to short game and noticing a lot firmer feel from my current summer ball, Xhot+ than I noticed before. Guess I'm paying more attention now that I'm cripple lol.

I pulled a sleeve of Callaway Big Bertha Diablos out of the closet today because I'm all for experimenting when out of season. It performed pretty well in 50 degree weather. It seemed to give me the same amount of spin on iron and wedge shots, although I tore up the cover on all three balls by the end of the round (or whenever I lost them). They seemed to roll out a little more than I was expecting on putts without sounding hard or clicky, but the greens were top dressed and I may not have adjusted well for that. Overall, no complaints at all about playing this instead of one of the usual balls.

Played the e5 yesterday that I finished my round with last weekend (for entire round yesterday). Still had a scuff on it but performed very well in some windy conditions. Definitely worthy of being a winter gamer ball for me at minimum.

How did the TruSoft feel off the putter for you? I'm starting to get back to short game and noticing a lot firmer feel from my current summer ball, Xhot+ than I noticed before. Guess I'm paying more attention now that I'm cripple lol.

I switched to a milled putter for that test round (Odyssey ProType #3). So to me it was the perfect blend of feel and feedback. Going to be gaming that setup at least for the remainder of the year

Anyone had a chance to game the new 2016 TM Tour Preferred X's yet? I had 6 dozen show up to the house, but inconveniently enough, so did 3" of snow.

Last Sunday, it was 65* and I golfed. Today, it was like 25* and snowy. Ugh....Illinois :banghead:

Hope we get that "mild winter" they were talking about......

Thanks to emart, I played Monsta ball today for my match. Did not lose a ball. Looked good at the end of the round
Performance - really hard to say, as the wind was really blowing (2+ club wind at times), and my ball flight is affected by wind.
Like the spin and feel from irons and wedges, putter feeling is nice. Not too much spin w driver.

Played bridgestone e6 this past weekend. It's one of my favorite cold weather balls. Get enough spin around the greens and solid performance off the tee and with irons.

Monsta golf ball today.
I like this ball - it moves enough with irons, I can spin it back with short irons and wedges, feels good off the putter. Stayed in good shape, no real scuff marks on it.
Good distance, too.

I loved the Monsta, if shipping wasn't as prohibitive, it would be my permanent gamer.

I myself tried the WS duo yesterday and I liked it, loved how soft it felt but I am used to more spin, a lot of shots rolled way too much. I must try the duo spin, could be perfect for me

I myself tried the WS duo yesterday and I liked it, loved how soft it felt but I am used to more spin, a lot of shots rolled way too much. I must try the duo spin, could be perfect for me

Wait a few more weeks. The W/S folks have something coming that might just be your huckleberry.

Found and played the Wilson Duo Soft for a few holes yesterday. Temp was 45* and leaves wall to wall on the course meant losing a LOT of balls. My SS is about 90.
Could not believe the weird feel of this ball. Hit driver twice and absolutely smoked both, but felt nothing! Like I didn't even hit anything! I have never had this sensation with any other ball, even the Zip.
Loved the results, though. Anyone else ever experience this?

TM Aeroburner Pro. Despite the marketing / packaging claims I did not really experience any "You'll Crush It. You'll Control It. You'll Score With It" moments. In fact it played remarkably similar to the Q-Stars I have been using. It was cheaper than the Q-Stars which was the reason I brought a dozen. Felt good off all clubs and I'll carry on with them until they have been lost or sent swimming. It may have been slightly straighter and longer off the tee but that may have been this mornings swing.

Went to pick up a new glove today and saw they had W/S Duo $20/dozen so I picked some up to play today. I thought they were good for the cooler temperatures and I didn't see much of a distance loss, but it wasn't a very good ball for me. The higher spin just isn't good for my swing, I can play my normal fade a lot better with a low spin ball. I was just spinning out a little too much for my taste today. It did have a nice feel and great distance for such a low compression ball, great for people who get the club face square every time they hit the ball, I just have a tendency to leave it a hair open.

Titleist Pro-V1 and loved every second of it... 37 from the tips!

Took my last trip to one of my local ranges today. It will be my last trip because the balls were almost smooth. It was like hitting a cue ball.

Played Bridgestone B330S yesterday. Quite a solid ball - really good feel off of all clubs, spin was good.
Today I played Srixon Z star for 13 holes, then a Callaway Hx Tour. Both good balls. Both held their line in the wind. Both spun nicely with wedges.

Played a Bridgestone e5 last round. It does go a little higher, and 6-10 yds. more carry, from the driver than the e6 and the e5 feels softer on chips and putts. I will play it some more, but so far it's a great alternative to the e6 I normally game. Definitely softer and more carry than the DT Trusoft.

Played Bridgestone B330S yesterday. Quite a solid ball - really good feel off of all clubs, spin was good.
Today I played Srixon Z star for 13 holes, then a Callaway Hx Tour. Both good balls. Both held their line in the wind. Both spun nicely with wedges.

I also play the Srixon Z-Star XV yellow and the Bridgestone B330S currently ! Simply love them

Played the W/S Elite 50. Not a great ball, but with the chilly weather and a dozen in my car I figured why not. It does a decent job, especially for the price.

I also play the Srixon Z-Star XV yellow and the Bridgestone B330S currently ! Simply love them

I think the z star XV is a great ball. Z star just spins too much w my wedges compared to the XV.

I was planning on playing around with the Chrome Soft, Duo, and a Bridgestone B330. But came across an Callaway SR1, which I have never tried, and forgot I had some of the Titleist test balls in my bag.
Played the front 9 with the SR1 and I was extremely happy with it. Considering that I have tried the SR2 and the SR3 and really did not like these balls, I never expected to like this SR1. It had a good feel off of every club I used in it. Distance was somewhat the same as I am used to I guess. Spin was not to high and it wasn't too hard. I would give this one a try again in the future.
At the turn, I switched to the Titleist test balls. First thing I noticed was the side spin created from the tee box. I had not really hit a draw all day, and never in the hole we are on, but first tee shot was a big right to left shot. That tend sick around for a while. Holes 11-14 produced the exact same tee shot flight. 3w from the the box on 4 of the first 5 holes on the back. The one that wasn't a 3w was a 7i on a par 3. Still few the ball over the target. Finally, on hole 15, I played for a little draw with a 5i, but saw nothing there. Straight, go figure. Lost that ball in the leaves on the next swing of the club. Right in front of the green too.
I have one Titleist test ball left that I will try my next round. Curious to see if the ball reacts the same.

I occasionally forget what a great golf ball the Bridgestone e6 really is, and then I put one in play. Not as long as a tour ball for me, but crazy forgiving, and has a really good feel. Plus, it just seems to get up in the air much easier than most balls for me, so I still get a lot of stopping power even with full and 3/4 swings.

I've been switching back & forth between the E6 & the B330RX. I'm really enjoying both of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got in 9 holes with the Top Flite Gamer Soft. I know it's pretty easy to hate on an in-house brand with sophomoric advertising, but $20 a dozen, 2 for the price of one, and free shipping, just too much not to jump on a Cyber Monday sale. I've used Gamers before, and I liked the Gamer Tour a decent amount.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed. A fair shake less distance than the SR2 off the tee, but the feel is pretty nice. I didn't much care for the SuperSoft, because to me it just felt mushy, especially with my irons, but the Gamer Soft is a bit firmer on approaches. Goes without saying that these spin a lot less than a tour ball, but that didn't come into play very often today, as my short game was usually bump & run today, taking advantage of some pretty swift greens and the luck that I didn't really short-side myself today. I will say that compared to a urethane tour ball, these do also spin less with the middle irons, and don't launch as high as other balls that would fit into a similar category, namely the Bridgestone e6 and Titleist NXT Tour S, in my opinion, but the combination of lower flight and less spin did make for some less than awesome approaches. To a certain extent, the lessened distance helped account for the extra release, and I didn't really get many clean approach shots with my wedges today, so I can't make a full judgement on how this ball deals with full shots with short irons.

Overall, I really can't find anything to particularly dislike about the ball. It's reasonably durable (I encountered none of the previous Gamer's tendency to have small shreds of the cover come off from nearly any iron or wedge shot), doesn't have the Gamer Tour's spin that made any bad shot with a long club a nearly guaranteed lost ball, and even has the pleasantly soft feel that, to me, sits nicely between the too-soft balls on the market and the firmer and more expensive 3-piece balls.

Callaway HX Tour today. An older ball, but it behaved quite nicely! I like the distance (although I am sure there are longer balls), it has good spin (spun a PW back 12" off a downhill, downwind shot), and it felt good off the putter.

Back