Thread: Bridgestone Hires Dan Murphy as President and CEO

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c0ncept View Post
    In person fittings.

I was fit, given a sleeve of two balls, and then took them to the course. Was completely sold then until they changed their lines and I didn’t really want to retest all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doesn’t every golf ball change or improve with each iteration? Their premium golf balls are the same with different names. There would be zero reason to retest.

————————

Early on when Bridgestone started the whole ‘fitting’ idea, I heard a lot of skepticism from consumers. ‘The fitting was rigged’, ‘’my ball still tested better’ these two had to be the most common. I heard this more often than not. Then I witnessed their fittings at the pga show, 1000s of fittings over 3 days. Old guys getting fit and receiving a free sleeve. Still heard the same criticism.

Then they weren’t at the show and I did not hear anything. No one was talking about Bridgestone golf balls out side of THP. Tiger was signed and still no talk outside of online forums and people in the know. And now the online talk is negative for what ever reason people give.

They have a solid solid line of golf balls. The tour balls are very much still in play. Despite the grumbling, the fittings worked and Tiger still moves the needle. If I were in Dan’s shoes, I would be working a very creative way to tie all that together. And then beat it into the heads of consumers. I’d go right for the top, take the fight to Titleist at the green grass level. Start fittings at private clubs, demos at munis and fitting at big box stores. I’d also hit small town America, show those golfer they care. It would cost some coin but you have to spend it to make it.

Ddog: F8+ Black 9.5* w/ Evenflow 6.5 Blue
    FWs: F8+ 3/4 Evenflow 6.0 Blue
    Hybrid:
    Irons: Black Forgedtec(4-PW) w/ $Taper Stiff+ Black
    Wedges: King Black 50* & 54* w/
    Flat stick: Royalty Str8t flush ♣️
    Ball: ​PRO V1x

CAPTAIN OF #TeamParadise #morgancup2018

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tadashi70 For This Useful Post:

OITW (06-19-2018), WMac19 (06-19-2018)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    He needs to be more customer focused with better 2-way, not one way, communications. Very few "golfers' believe the the longer, straighter, father messages any more, they all just sound like blah, blah! With all the up and coming online only competition he needs to tap into what resonates with consumers and develop a unique selling proposition that give consumers a reason to switch to, or at least try their products.

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,781 Posts

Bridgestone Hires Dan Murphy as President and CEO

At first glance of this topic I read it as “Bridgestone hires Diana Murphy” ...yikes.

But I’m happy to see Bridgestone with some fresh direction. They need some changes for sure.

2018 Participant in Ultimate Testing with Titleist!
    Proud Member of Team 99 Malort & 2017 Gauntlet Champs!

DRIVER:
    2016 M2 10.5* PX Even Flow Blue 6.5 45”
    3WOOD: XR16 15.5* Project-X LZ Red XS
    3 HYBRID: Aeroburner 19* Accra FX-H300
    4-PW IRONS: Z765 2* Flat KBS Tour X-Flex 130
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 Brushed Steel: 50F, 54F, and 60D with TT DG S400 Tour Issue
    PUTTER: O-Works 1Ws Red 35”
    BALL: AVX and ProV1

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zbuechner4 For This Useful Post:

JB (06-19-2018)

Handicap
    0-36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi70 View Post
    Doesn’t every golf ball change or improve with each iteration? Their premium golf balls are the same with different names. There would be zero reason to retest.

————————

Early on when Bridgestone started the whole ‘fitting’ idea, I heard a lot of skepticism from consumers. ‘The fitting was rigged’, ‘’my ball still tested better’ these two had to be the most common. I heard this more often than not. Then I witnessed their fittings at the pga show, 1000s of fittings over 3 days. Old guys getting fit and receiving a free sleeve. Still heard the same criticism.

Then they weren’t at the show and I did not hear anything. No one was talking about Bridgestone golf balls out side of THP. Tiger was signed and still no talk outside of online forums and people in the know. And now the online talk is negative for what ever reason people give.

They have a solid solid line of golf balls. The tour balls are very much still in play. Despite the grumbling, the fittings worked and Tiger still moves the needle. If I were in Dan’s shoes, I would be working a very creative way to tie all that together. And then beat it into the heads of consumers. I’d go right for the top, take the fight to Titleist at the green grass level. Start fittings at private clubs, demos at munis and fitting at big box stores. I’d also hit small town America, show those golfer they care. It would cost some coin but you have to spend it to make it.
    Took two years off so my swing changed a lot. I trusted the Bridgestone guys at the fitting because they know what their talking about and were able to explain it to me. I guess what I meant by the testing thing was that it could take me a while to figure out what’s best for me now but if they had a fitting at the range like I first went to I could have it done in 5 minutes (and saved a lot of money)

Driver: X-Hot Pro 10.5
    Fairways: CG Black 16*
    Irons: Currently testing M3 4-PW, SW
    Wedges: Copper Forged 52, 56, 60
    Putter: B1

Check out the Taylormade M3 Iron Testing Thread:
    https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/103568-TaylorMade-M3-Irons

See it. Feel it. Trust it.

Handicap
    Something
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,310 Posts
    I'd love to see Bridgestone go something like the route of Tour Edge. Cut out much of their tour sponsorship and the money pit that represents, enjoy the positive vibes their name still invokes, be able to bring some prices down and develop their market share. I love their clubs, and don't really want to see them totally leave the club market. I don't think they have the pull to continue to demand the prices they do.

No matter which direction they go, simply having someone who can provide to overall vision will be a vast improvement from their current position of having plenty of good golfers in their stable that they seem to do a rather poor job of marketing. Hopefully they can quit wandering in circles and move towards a well defined end goal.
    My Chev stand bag contains:
    WITB

F7 10°
    XR 4-wood LZ stiff
    X2Hot 3 hybrid 19°
    F6 irons
    Trusty Rusty & MD2 wedges
    Huntington Beach #4
    Q-Star Tour

Counting Down
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,808 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zbuechner4 View Post
    At first glance of this topic I read it as “Bridgestone hires Diana Murphy” ...yikes.

But I’m happy to see Bridgestone with some fresh direction. They need some changes for sure.

We'd be hearing about the "TOUR RX B" balls if that were the case.
    Driver: XR16 With Custom HZRDUS Smoke
    Fairway: Honma Beres S05 3W/5W
    Hybrid: King F8 4-5h
    Irons: Honma Beres 737V 5-10
    Putter: OWorks #2 BWB

Thanks to PX and THP for an incredible Handcrafted Experience!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpeterson For This Useful Post:

JB (06-19-2018), Zbuechner4 (06-19-2018)

Sultan of Santa Monica

The City of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels
    Handicap
    Beer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    894 Posts
    I would keep the focus on selling the ball as the best. No comparisons, just tell me why this ball is the best. B makes some great balls, but I'm not sure I get that from their marketing approach. I would do what Taylormade does. Just proclaim that you are the best.
    ~Peter

HATERS GONNA HATE

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24,138 Posts
    Just read an interview with Murphy that Bridgestone golf retweeted. Sounds like he is all in to get back to #2 in balls. And sounds like he is all about using the tiger woods effect to help and plans on mixing him up with some of their other staffers like couples, kuch and bryson. Hope that comes to fruition and they get back on track.
    COME OUT AND JOIN 50+ THPERS FOR LOTS OF GOLF AND FUN AT THE ULTIMATE UNOFFICIAL GATHERING!!!

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...L-ARE-WELCOME!

WITB:

Driver:
    Rogue 10.5* (lofted up to 12.5*)
    Woods: Rogue 3W (bent to 4W) and Heavenwood
    Hybrids:
    Rogue 4H, 5H
    Irons:
    2018 X-Forged 6-PW with Steelfiber 95-S Graphite Shafts
    Wedges: MD4 50/54/58
    Putter: Toulon Garage Custom Columbus (until Atlanta arrives late April)
    Ball:
    2018 Chrome Soft

And Proud Captain of Team Prestige in the 2017 Grandaddy

Golf Talker

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27,660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedean441 View Post
    Just read an interview with Murphy that Bridgestone golf retweeted. Sounds like he is all in to get back to #2 in balls. And sounds like he is all about using the tiger woods effect to help and plans on mixing him up with some of their other staffers like couples, kuch and bryson. Hope that cones to fruition and they get back on track.
    Actually just read the same thing, has me much more excited about Bridgestone again already
    WITB:
    PING
    - G400 Max 10.5 -
    TPT Golf 16LKP-MT-SW
    Taylormade -M4 3HL 16.5 - UST Mamiya V2 7F5
    Callaway - Rogue HW 20.0 - UST Mamiya Elements Gold 7F5
    Taylormade - M3 4HY 22.0 - UST Mamiya V2 Hybrid 85F5
    Taylormade - P790 5-PW- UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
    Taylormade - Milled Grind 48-SB/54-SB/58-Hi-Toe - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    SeeMore
    - m5x Prototype (1 of 3)
    Taylormade - TP5x

In for Review:

Proud former
    #TheGrandaddy Captain!

Bringin my 'Eh Game! braddman19's Avatar
    Handicap
    Putting
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,987 Posts
    How about have Tiger randomly show up at a couple of ball fittings around the country. Viral video of Tiger walking up while you and a bunch of friends are there trying balls on your front lawn!
    2018 Goal - Have Fun Every Single Round

XR16 10.5*, GBB 3W, V-Series Heavenwood, XR Steelhead 3 Hybrid
    C200s 5 - GW THP Stamped MD3 56*
    Toulon Memphis