Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Volunteer Experience at the US Open

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    682 Posts
    I volunteered for the Memorial Tournament for the first time this year. I enjoyed it. It has many similar setups in that I had to pay for my uniform and I was fortunate enough to sign up for a job as a courtesy car driver. It was a fun and not too stressful of a job as I was able to sign up for times around my work schedule before the tournament started but I know plenty of others who have spent time on the course working scoreboards or shotlink and they don't seem to have any complaints. This being Jack Nicklaus's tournament probably plays into it but the volunteers seem to be treated quite well here. The last thing I would want to do is work consessions or selling merchandise although I'm sure merchandise sales here isn't as overloaded as a major.
    Rogue Driver - with Helium Proto 5F3
    Rogue 3W
    Rogue Heavenwood
    Big Bertha OS 4h and 5h
    Big Bertha OS 6-AW with Recoil 760 with SMACWRAP Shafts
    MD4 Raw 54 S Grind
    MD4 Raw 60 (bent to 59) X Grind
    EXO #7 Putter
    Chrome Soft
    Participant in the 2018 Odyssey Experience!

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    643 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wubears71 View Post
    So I'm a hole captain for the 2018 PGA Championship and all the marshal positions, except for a very few, went to the local golf courses. Basically, every private course got a hole or shared a hole and Walter's Golf Management, which manages a number of courses, gets a hole. I'm guessing the U.S. Open did the same. I volunteered being a hole captain knowing full well that it was going to require 50 hours of volunteer work. However, after going to the U.S. Open at Erin Hills last year, I made sure that if I was going to volunteer, it would be a really great job and being a hole captain assures that I'm inside the ropes the whole time.

One good thing about the PGA championship is that there are so many volunteers that the majority are only working 2-3, 4 hour shifts, which is a pretty good deal considering it comes with free parking, food vouchers that can be used at any stand and an all week pass that sells for $325 - not bad for 8 to 12 hours of work.
    I looked into volunteering at next year's PGA at Bethpage. There were positions open to drive players and VIPs around. Ultimately I can't go because of family obligations.
    I'm alright...

Handicap
    My Height
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,022 Posts
    I haven't read every post in this thread, but I have done plenty of voluneering at large events - at the Smithsonian, at zoos, for numerous volunteer organizations. At each of these events, I have been given the items that I need to complte the task including uniform clothing, access to food and water in a place separate from participants, and separate port-a-johns. For the larger events, we were treated to an evening barbecue, just for the volunteers.

I've hosted a lot of charity events, and at each, I treated the volunteers very carefully, because I wanted them to help me next year. It's the old saw about happy employees, happy customers - happy volunteers, happy participants.

And that's at non-profit events. I'm slightly shocked that they make you pay to use your own labor. Yes the polos and the gear cost money - but they should thank you for your labor, not make *you* pay for it. You're saving them millions of bucks in temp labor.

I think it's embarrassing for the USGA, to be honest. But that's just my opinion.
    Breaking 100 Meetup October 20-21 - EVERYONE is welcome!
    Come for the golf, stay for the banter!

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/103828-2018-Breaking-100-Gathering-ALL-ARE-WELCOME-October

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DucatiGirl For This Useful Post:

NewGlfr (06-18-2018)

Legal Alien
    Handicap
    NCGA 12.8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,921 Posts
    Dang! I was planning to volunteer at next year’s open. Having second thoughts now.

#FiberLaunch
    ---------------------------------------
    DRIVER: XR 16 10.5* (N +2*) with Hand Crafted shaft with #FiberLaunch technology #THCE
    FAIRWAY: Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood stiff
    HYBRIDS: 2017 M2 4&5 hybrids regular
    IRONS: P790 with Recoils with smacwrap 760 es F3
    WEDGES: MD3 56* Anthony Taranto “Ironman”
    PUTTER: O works #1WS black edition
    BALL: SNELL MTB Red in Optic Yellow

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 14.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8,897 Posts
    FWIW, here are the options for the Cambia Classic in Portland - the longest running non major on the LPGA tour:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
    PhillyV (Asst Capt), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV

WITB:
    D/FW/H: Whole lotta Rogue
    Irons/Wedges: TBD
    Putter: Toulon Memphis
    Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis & CSX

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tequila4kapp For This Useful Post:

NewGlfr (06-20-2018), tpluff (06-19-2018)