Fort Lauderdale area courses/THP-ers

Gyro25

It's a Jersey thiiinngg
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I booked a vacation to stay in Margate for 4/28 - 5/5 for 1st anniversary with the wife, just crashing at a relatives vacation house to do some beach or pool relaxation, but I definitely need to get a couple rounds in while I'm down there.

Any suggestions on courses? and/or anyone around for a round or two?

Likely will only be able to play tuesday-saturday.. would be really bad if I ran off the day after getting there to go golf,can't even worse if on the anniversary itself haha

I saw some other posts people suggesting courses:

e92487d1e71f46096c4d0b9a58b4878a.jpg

Thanks for any other suggestions!

Last edited:
I stayed down in Hollywood FL last year and played 1 round at Emerald Hills and one at Pembroke Lakes.

Emerald Hills more secluded but also higher in price, nothing "wow" about it to pay what I did.

Pembroke Lakes on the other hand was a gem considering it was a municipal course. $40 or 50 for some great scenery, nice fairways, good greens, fun holes. Only downfall was it gets a llllllot of play so try and get out early if you can.

I've had friends play Turnberry and Jacaranda and gave a thumbs up to both places.

Awesome thank you @cobrax51 !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Osprey Point in Boca is a great public facility.

Agree with CobraX51 on Emerald Hills. My opinions below are based on a trip from December 2016.

• Jacaranda East - We booked the 7:51am tee time through GolfNow and played 18 with a cart for $40 per person. This was the last course we played on the trip, we wished it was the first. The course was in truly immaculate condition from tee box to green. I don't have a single complaint. We were matched with a local who was not much older than us (likely early 30s) who was pretty cool, so that only added to our experience here. Logistically speaking, the course was only 5 minutes from our hotel. Again, we wish we played this course first. If we did, we would have had a chance to play the West course as well or even doubled up on the East course given the outstanding value.
  • The Club at Emerald Hills - Similar to above, we booked an early tee time through GolfNow and played 18 with a cart for $91 per person. The course was in great shape. Free range balls were provided prior to our tee time. The landscaping was fantastic, the course design was challenging. Overall an enjoyable experience, but I would expect one at that price point in Florida. I would go back if offered a better price.
  • Palm Aire Country Club at Palms - This was the first course we played. It was average at best. We had an early tee time and the grounds crew was spraying this blue substance on the greens which ended up all over everything... balls, clothing, etc. Course conditions were otherwise average. We booked through GolfNow and paid $41 per person for 18 with a cart. If I lived in the area, I may play the course out of convenience / cost. Otherwise, this wasn't the type of course I'd prefer to play while on vacation.
  • Woodlands Country Club West - Horrible. We booked a 7am tee time through GolfNow at $40 per person for 18 with a cart. When we arrived, we were the second to tee off. The course was not in great shape and conditions were average at best. Due to rain the night before and an early tee time, the course was extremely wet which is not the course's fault. However, the grounds crew was... interesting. On one hole, we were about to hit our approach shots when an employee walked on to the green and started cutting a new hole. On another, the tee box was completely blocked from the fairway but a bucket loader and employee with a chainsaw cutting down branches. I won't provide the other examples, that should give you a good enough idea. I would never go back here.

Agree with CobraX51 on Emerald Hills. My opinions below are based on a trip from December 2016.

• Jacaranda East - We booked the 7:51am tee time through GolfNow and played 18 with a cart for $40 per person. This was the last course we played on the trip, we wished it was the first. The course was in truly immaculate condition from tee box to green. I don't have a single complaint. We were matched with a local who was not much older than us (likely early 30s) who was pretty cool, so that only added to our experience here. Logistically speaking, the course was only 5 minutes from our hotel. Again, we wish we played this course first. If we did, we would have had a chance to play the West course as well or even doubled up on the East course given the outstanding value.
  • The Club at Emerald Hills - Similar to above, we booked an early tee time through GolfNow and played 18 with a cart for $91 per person. The course was in great shape. Free range balls were provided prior to our tee time. The landscaping was fantastic, the course design was challenging. Overall an enjoyable experience, but I would expect one at that price point in Florida. I would go back if offered a better price.
  • Palm Aire Country Club at Palms - This was the first course we played. It was average at best. We had an early tee time and the grounds crew was spraying this blue substance on the greens which ended up all over everything... balls, clothing, etc. Course conditions were otherwise average. We booked through GolfNow and paid $41 per person for 18 with a cart. If I lived in the area, I may play the course out of convenience / cost. Otherwise, this wasn't the type of course I'd prefer to play while on vacation.
  • Woodlands Country Club West - Horrible. We booked a 7am tee time through GolfNow at $40 per person for 18 with a cart. When we arrived, we were the second to tee off. The course was not in great shape and conditions were average at best. Due to rain the night before and an early tee time, the course was extremely wet which is not the course's fault. However, the grounds crew was... interesting. On one hole, we were about to hit our approach shots when an employee walked on to the green and started cutting a new hole. On another, the tee box was completely blocked from the fairway but a bucket loader and employee with a chainsaw cutting down branches. I won't provide the other examples, that should give you a good enough idea. I would never go back here.
I appreciate the detail of your experience, especially the conditions and price point/value. This is kind of a "budget vacation", hence the $100 r/t air pp, free lodging, etc, and I can surely justify $40 a round for 2-3 vs the 90 for just one.

And it's Florida, you have to expect some pretty odd stuff to happen there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Best value course in the Margate area is Carolina golf club. Rates are cheap around $40 / round.

If you can find a golfnow hot deal, then book Jacaranda or Plantation Preserve. Both are about 20 minutes south down the Turnpike.

Best value course in the Margate area is Carolina golf club. Rates are cheap around $40 / round.

If you can find a golfnow hot deal, then book Jacaranda or Plantation Preserve. Both are about 20 minutes south down the Turnpike.
Local? What's the temp down there like? I'm assuming shorts appropriate, considering I'm coming from NJ where it's 40*, but always good to double check.

Also any recommendations on a nice restaurant, something like a hidden gem?

One of the psychs in my office recommended Le Tub for a good burger, and some unique decor haha

Local? What's the temp down there like? I'm assuming shorts appropriate, considering I'm coming from NJ where it's 40*, but always good to double check.

Also any recommendations on a nice restaurant, something like a hidden gem?

One of the psychs in my office recommended Le Tub for a good burger, and some unique decor haha

Yeah shorts for golf is best. Highs can hit high 80s that time of year.

Le Tub is good. You can spend the day at Hollywood beach and Margaritaville hotel is across the street from that restaurant.

Any restaurant in downtown Ft. Lauderdale on Las Olas blvd is good. I'd check out Rocco's tacos or Louie Bossi for a good time. Lobster bar or Timpano italian for a fancy meal.

If you like German food The Hildeburg on 84 is a gem, for Italian old school The Runway 84(on 84) is a classic place but expensive and can be hit or miss. I love the place and will go there every chance I get but normally I am in the bar which is awesome imo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Settled in to our vacation spot, think we're going to river walk and and las olas tonight for some drinks.. booked a tee time for woodmont country club for Tuesday, $12 lol couldn't pass that up but think I'll look at jacaranda for Thursday. wife wants to do couple stuff together ughhh ruining the golf fun :mad:

Back