Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Thread: So lets talk Phil and the putt

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9,887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cbaker2882 View Post
    Beyond the penalty, I’m baffled that people are fine that he did it in general. A grown man on national tv, during the country’s major championship, ran after his golf ball on the green to smack it back the other way while it was still rolling. People talk all the time about how much of an ass Poulter and Bubba are, but are ok with what Phil did? I’m very confused. Not trying to change anyone’s mind, because everyone’s certainly entitled to their own opinion, it just doesn’t make sense to me.
    This is where I’m at. Regardless of the excuse given, the act is worse than the penalty. It’s being brushed off as “Phil being Phil” and because he offered to DQ himself, all is right in the world.

I’m not some stuffy golf purest or anything like that, I get athletes are human and have moments where they act before they think, but what he did was wrong. I’m not sure what the penalty should have been, the act is a bad look and childish.
    Cobra F8 | Custom Project X Handcrafted 6.0
    Callaway Rogue 4w 17° | Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
    Titleist 818 H1 19° | Graphite Design Tour AD-DI Hyb
    Titleist AP3 5-48° | Project X LZ 5.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52°/8 F | 56°/8 M | 60°/12 D | UST Mamiya Recoil Wedge Proto F4
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeg_74 For This Useful Post:

Buster1 (06-20-2018), NewGlfr (06-19-2018), WMac19 (06-19-2018)

Legal Alien
    Handicap
    NCGA 12.8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,031 Posts
    I must admit, I’ve done a full 180 on this. When it happened, I posted he shouldn’t be DQ’d and that the 2 shot penalty was right. 1 was because I thought he had done it out of pure frustration, and 2, didn’t know the rule and I thought calling for his DQ wasn’t even on the cards.
    I’ve since checked the rule, and the tournament committee can DQ someone for breaking rule 1-2 which is the rule Phil’s antics come under. Yeah, he was out of contention, but to me he gained a significant advantage by stopping that ball. Judging by his previous play, there is a good chance he wouldn’t have gotten up and down from that position. If that isn’t gaining a significant advantage, I’m not sure what is. To me, he should have been DQ’d. But at the fear of sounding like a broken record, if the USGA hadn’t have taken the piss with the course set up, none of this would have happened.

#FiberLaunch
    ---------------------------------------
    DRIVER: XR 16 10.5* (N +2*) with Hand Crafted shaft with #FiberLaunch technology #THCE
    FAIRWAY: Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood stiff
    HYBRIDS: 2017 M2 4&5 hybrids regular
    IRONS: P790 with Recoils with smacwrap 760 es F3
    WEDGES: SM7 54 S grind & 58 D grind
    PUTTER: O works #1WS black edition
    BALL: SNELL MTB Red in Optic Yellowy

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark_UK For This Useful Post:

mikeg_74 (06-18-2018), NewGlfr (06-19-2018)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    889 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_UK View Post
    ... if the USGA hadn’t have taken the piss with the course set up, none of this would have happened.

#FiberLaunch
    Again, nothing wrong with that pin location. More than a few made par there on Saturday's pin.

59.7% of the field make par or better on Saturday on #13!
    Last edited by OGputtnfool; 06-18-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    bag &cart:
    M1 440 9.5° w/ Aldila VS Proto 70X
    Powerbilt Citation 3wd/5wd (15°/18°) w/ AccuFLEX Evo R+
    SLDR 3h w/ Aldila VS Proto 80R
    Dynacraft Genesis 4h & 5h w/ Tour S (5.0)
    550c/m (6,7-PW) Tour S (5.0)
    Dynacraft DM Forged SW (54°)/LW (60°) Tour R (4.0)
    TV Align Midsize & TP5
    MentorSports Duet Flatso 3.0
    ---
    550m GW (52°)
    Dynacraft DM Forged SW (56°) & Genesis 3h

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OGputtnfool For This Useful Post:

NewGlfr (06-19-2018)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin View Post
    Still not seeing it a disrespectful action. In just about every sport out there on the pro level, players are pushing the rules to the limits, finding the loopholes, and even intentionally breaking them in order to gain an advantage. Why would golf be any different.
    Because golf is supposed to be different. If we allow it to sink to the level of the other sports, then it might as well be any other sport. Wanna cheat? Hey, we understand. Just don't get caught and everyone will be cool with it, and even share a little chuckle.

I'd like to see us endeavor to keep golf different. It is getting harder and harder though when Twitter reaction becomes a prime concern.

JPX-900 Driver
    JPX-900 3 and 5-wood
    JPX-900 4 and 5-Hybrid
    JPX-900 HotMetal 6-LW
    FGP

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wadesworld For This Useful Post:

c.a.eleric (06-19-2018), GG194 (06-19-2018), NewGlfr (06-19-2018)

Jedi Knight
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    677 Posts
    Here's my thought.
    What if he had run up and hit it from 3 inches and it went in the hole for 5 or 6?

He knows the rules and it's a shame to see someone who's always been a class act do something like this.

I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't be want my worst moments broadcast to millions.

This is why athletes are just that athlete's and not Role models.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Morgan Cup 2018 Team Paradise Cobra Ultralight Bag
    F8 Tour Length Project X Even Flow Blue 65g 5.5
    F8 3/4 Fairway Project XEven Flow Blue 65g 5.5
    F8 3/4 Hybrid Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    F8 2/3 UT Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    King Forged TEC 5-GW Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
    King wedges 56Ver + 60Ver Recoil 95
    Putter: SeeMore SI5
    Ball: Calloway Chrome Soft Truvis.
    Special thanks to
    #THP #TeamParadise #MorganCup2018 #CPG
    Proud Member of Team Paradise 2018 Morgan Cup Champions!!!

"Just playin golf pally" rollin's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,595 Posts
    I must say its been for the most part a lot of interesting conversation in this thread to see all the different opinions. I suppose with so many is why the usga needs to clear things up better.

My biggest debate with the topic would be with those who feel this was some huge disgraceful , classless, and disrespectful act. We could agree to disagree but I can think of far worse classless acts than this one while on tv in front of the world at a major golf tournament. I just don't view it this way nearly quite the same as some others of us. Some are taking this imo as a personal attack on the game that they love to play as though its hurtful to them personally and I think that's too much. How dare he do this? Im appalled. I think that's placing too much into it. But just my opinion of course.

I also do not at all think this will tarnish him forever as much as many are suggesting. He did call and ask if DQ was to be assessed and that he wouldn't continue if its what he should get. I think in the end he will still be well respected in the golf community because I just don't think most people find it so appalling as some others do. And it will be forgotten. I mentioned earlier that Im not really in any Phil corner or camp per say so this isn't coming from any "phil cant do no wrong" place. I just don't feel this is any great big act of disrespectful and classless thing as some are taking it and I can think of many other things that are worse in the same environment.
    I golf because I can But I stink because I can't

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
    Because golf is supposed to be different. If we allow it to sink to the level of the other sports, then it might as well be any other sport. Wanna cheat? Hey, we understand. Just don't get caught and everyone will be cool with it, and even share a little chuckle.

I'd like to see us endeavor to keep golf different. It is getting harder and harder though when Twitter reaction becomes a prime concern.
    The money is too much for it to be so different than other sports. Been that way imo for some time now. Sad maybe but true. I mean if we really think about it the reason there are rules is because cheating and/or pushing the truths and limits have been around for as long as rules were. Its why they had to make them in the first place. Was golf really ever so very different at the top levels than other sports in that sense? sand bagging has been going on forever at the amateur levels. And pros have pushed the rule limits forever as well imo. You don't think there was ever questionable actions in earlier eras of golf? Id have to say that's more a wishful thinking than a truth but I could be wrong.

Handicap
    10>
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    The worst part about the whole thing is the USGA's and Mickelson's handling of the violation. There are now countless golfers out there who think it's OK to intentionally hit a moving ball.

Thanks Phil and thanks USGA.

Handicap
    tequila
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    The worst part about the whole thing is the USGA's and Mickelson's handling of the violation. There are now countless golfers out there who think it's OK to intentionally hit a moving ball.

Sure it's OK. There's a 2 stroke penalty for those that do it. I figure most will wait for the ball to stop rather than take a 2 stroke penalty.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° | Fairway: Tour Edge Exotics EX10 Beta 15°
    Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly 20° | Hybrid: Cobra KING F7 23.5°
    Irons: Wilson Staff c300 Forged 5i-PW | Wedge: Cleveland RTX-3 CB 50.10°
    Wedge: Cleveland RTX-3 CB 56.11° | Wedge: Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 60.09°
    Putter: TaylorMade Black Copper Soto | Glove: Under Armour CoolSwitch

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aklawitter For This Useful Post:

mackie_golf (06-19-2018), OGputtnfool (06-19-2018)

aka McLovin

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

totally agree with you. it’s why any comparisons to what happens in other sports is not relevant because the spirit of golf is (supposed to be) so much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    F8 Tour Length THCE16 Custom shaft
    F8 3/4 2KXNV Blue 70 Stiff
    F8 4H Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap F4
    King Forged TEC Black 5-GW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
    King Black 52v/56c/60c Dynamic Gold S200 Black
    O-Works Red 7s 33.5"
    Snell MTB Black

Excited to be a member of the 2018 Morgan Cup with #TeamParadise #2018MORGANCUP

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post

nah, I doubt that very much. Plus remember the hit itself is a stroke plus the 2 penalties. I think we will find that is not helpful nor would we have the situation where it would be.

You know fwiw I think the usga could put a rule in place that states intentionally breaking a rule is an additional 2 stroke penalty. I think that should take care of anything like this again.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c.a.eleric View Post
    totally agree with you. it’s why any comparisons to what happens in other sports is not relevant because the spirit of golf is (supposed to be) so much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But I would say the same I mentioned to Wades,
    Was golf always really above all else and so different? Were not rules placed in the game, often amended, added, and tweaked almost forever been going on for basically ever for sort of the same reasons as other sports? Do you really think top players never were to try to take advantage of the rules whenever possible? I think in that sense it would be just like the other sports and kind of always was. Its just part of top competitive sport in a way. I think the terms honorable gentleman's game is really overrated in that sense. And almost a self induced term by the one time rich and elitist demographic that played it and really reflected only their "above all others" attitude more than it ever really was above all other games or sports. I think that whole ideology was always overrated in that sense. Top competition in any sport (golf included) always had and always will include those looking for advantage.

GIF Master
    Handicap
    GAM 7.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan View Post
    Here's my thought.
    What if he had run up and hit it from 3 inches and it went in the hole for 5 or 6?

He knows the rules and it's a shame to see someone who's always been a class act do something like this.

I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't be want my worst moments broadcast to millions.

This is why athletes are just that athlete's and not Role models.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
    The score he achieved while doing this is not entirely relevant to the action, in my opinion, because of the penalty attached to it. Doing this from 3 inches away would be even sillier than what he already did. He received a 2 stroke penalty under the rules, so even in your scenario (he was originally putting or a bogey 5, btw) he would get a 7 or 8. Whether it was an eagle putt or triple bogey, it was not a good look at all and brings into question his actions and how the rules are worded and enforced.

In my opinion, the bigger statement from him to the USGA/whomever, within the rules, would have been to take an unplayable where his ball ended up and simply take the penalty and place the ball back where he putt it originally in a tin cup sort of manner. Seeing how many times it took for him to hole it or keep it on the green would have been A) Funny, but powerful and B) Well within the rules.
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° ​UST Mamiya HeLIUM Prototype
    Rogue Sub Zero 3W (15°) Project X Even Flow Blue
    BBA 815 3H (19°) Fujikura Speeder 865
    JPX 919 Forged 4-PW ​True Temper DG 120 TI [Thanks to Ultimate Weekend!]
    Mack Daddy 4 54° X / MD3 Milled 58° W True Temper DGTI 120 / Onyx Wedge
    O-Works #7s Black
    Chrome Soft X

Proud #DreamTeam #TheGrandaddy alum thanks to & !

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpluff View Post
    The score he achieved while doing this is not entirely relevant to the action, in my opinion, because of the penalty attached to it. Doing this from 3 inches away would be even sillier than what he already did. He received a 2 stroke penalty under the rules, so even in your scenario (he was originally putting or a bogey 5, btw) he would get a 7 or 8. Whether it was an eagle putt or triple bogey, it was not a good look at all and brings into question his actions and how the rules are worded and enforced.

In my opinion, the bigger statement from him to the USGA/whomever, within the rules, would have been to take an unplayable where his ball ended up and simply take the penalty and place the ball back where he putt it originally in a tin cup sort of manner. Seeing how many times it took for him to hole it or keep it on the green would have been A) Funny, but powerful and B) Well within the rules.
    Yea an unplayable may have worked a lot better for him had he thought of that. He would have been much more tentative at retaking the original putt even coming up short to then possibly have a nice shorty afterwards for a hole out. But an unplayable on a green is probably not something one would think of. But anyway he risked the bunker there(I think) and that would have been an issue so maybe that was in the thought process too Im not certain.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,595 Posts
    I really just think he thought he found a loophole in the rules by which he plays under and decided to use it. Right or wrong I really don't feel it was anything more than that in his mind at the time. That's why I don't think the act was any intentional display of disrespect nor lack of class.