Cobra King LTD Driver - THP Review

...here's my beef, and it's exactly what i expected. pgass received the ltd last week, but they have no shafts for fitting, just stock made-for rogue in r and s. while i'm annoyed as hell at the way pgass employees treated me, this isn't their fault. i can't imagine callaway would ship out the gbb demos and not include shaft options for fitting. maybe i'm naive or just uninformed about the way the whole thing works. but if we had been able to find a better shaft pairing, something with a more active tip but still in s flex, i probably would have purchased it.

i think the ltd is AWESOME, and i still really want one. but not being able to find the best shaft is a concern.

I feel your pain. Went to 2 different Golfsmith locations near me. Each had only 1 Head (set at 9 or 9.5° and no wrench) with Stiff Shaft. No other flexes, no other shafts, nothing in stock and not sure they even knew Cobra had released irons, since I asked about trying those as well. Since I'm basically a 12° R-flex kinda guy, driver testing was near useless - Does look and sound nice tho :)
Pretty much a bummer 'cause hoped to hit it and jump on that RockBottom $336 deal but, alas it was not to be.
Ob la di, ob la da!

Had the same experience with limited shafts at a golfsmith. Still hit it ok but would love to know how well I would have hit the club with the Right shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got to hit about 5 balls with range rocks today. Of course I got about 5 different sounds off the face!! That being said I hit one so bad off the heel and dang the ball still felt hot off the face. I was kinda shocked. It was a horrible swing. So that is better than my bio cell plus already. The one ball that seemed almost normal, these range rocks are so bad I try not to hit any metals here as they tend to scar the faces, driver felt and sounded great, a big improvement over the fly z plus that I had for a while. I got pro ltd. so penetrating ball flight for sure. Can't wait to play 18.

Hit this club today, to my usual specs (9*, stiff shaft). Loved it! Great ball flight, great feeling at contact, forgiving, and the sound is very nice! Distance was solid, for me. I cannot wait to see how this performs in 2016!

Cobra King LTD Driver - THP Review

I got out an hit mine again today, I am loving this more and more. The feel is so solid and the hit feels powerful. I hit one ball today that I swear took forever to come down, it just kept going and going. I am using the stock Rogue shaft which seems to fit me well. I probably won't hit again until spring, so I cannot wait to play next year with this. I think Cobra really got it right with this driver.

I got diamana r series going into this head. Ilima my favorite shaft of all time, hopefully the update works well in driver. The feel will be awesome, who cares about distance !!!

Hit this club today, to my usual specs (9*, stiff shaft). Loved it! Great ball flight, great feeling at contact, forgiving, and the sound is very nice! Distance was solid, for me. I cannot wait to see how this performs in 2016!

I got one last week, so far I love it

took a long lunch today to drive out to pgass and hit this driver. the dude who worked with me (and i use that phrase loosely) at pgass could not have been less interested. major disappointment in customer service, and of the two times i've been to that store that is the second time i got bad service.

i brought in my gamer driver (fly-z set to 10.5 with graphite design tour ad-mj s flex) and 4w (tight lies with tour blue 65 r flex) to hit against the king ltd driver and fairway wood.

in looks, wow did they get this one right. i think the space port and other design is really cool, and at address it is so simple yet confidence inspiring. at impact, i absolutely loved the feeling. super solid, not loud at all, with great feedback. the real test was in the results, and unfortunately the ltd didn't perform well enough to justify an upgrade. on looks, confidence and feel alone, it was close. but it didn't tighten dispersion, and it didn't add enough carry or distance.

the biggest headscratcher was spin. until this past september, i was under the impression that i was a very low spin player, sub 2k. in september on flightscope, i was registering low to mid 3k. today, my gamer registered 1,600 over about 10 swings, and the ltd registered 1,200. ss averaged 104, carry averaged 235, total 260. the ltd brought my launch down from 15 to 13, but there wasn't enough spin.

here's my beef, and it's exactly what i expected. pgass received the ltd last week, but they have no shafts for fitting, just stock made-for rogue in r and s. while i'm annoyed as hell at the way pgass employees treated me, this isn't their fault. i can't imagine callaway would ship out the gbb demos and not include shaft options for fitting. maybe i'm naive or just uninformed about the way the whole thing works. but if we had been able to find a better shaft pairing, something with a more active tip but still in s flex, i probably would have purchased it.

i think the ltd is AWESOME, and i still really want one. but not being able to find the best shaft is a concern.

I think your numbers are off...you should have more carry with 104mph
I am a low spin, low ball hitter too...this was my problem with Fly-Z+ at 11.5...all I got was rainbows.
Consider lighter shaft at 46'

I think your numbers are off...you should have carry over 250y with 104mph
I am a low spin, low ball hitter too...this was my problem with Fly-Z+ at 11.5...all I got was rainbows.

straight off their sim

Screen-shot-2011-05-21-at-7.29.46-AM.png

sounds like a jacked up ego sim! I've hit 104, but not often and never my average. I'm going to the Annika academy tomorrow for a fairway wood and wedge fitting, so we'll what they say.

People get so focused on spin and launch angle and forget how the other numbers play a roll like AOA.
Looking forward to your feedback.

I have fairly good numbers and my AoA is not a lot. I play 2 -3 balls back or inside my left heal. I make up for launch using 11.5 deg head.
Try more loft, perhaps a shaft 1/4-1/2 flex stiffer, you can hit it harder! Check out GBB 10.5 +1 there is a lot of good reviews on this head / G30 too

This mentions "tour type ball", most of the places I test clubs at have non-tour balls (Q-Stars) that have been hit a bunch. Would the ball throw the numbers off enough to make a difference? Either way, awesome chart, taking this with me next time I go to test drivers.

This mentions "tour type ball", most of the places I test clubs at have non-tour balls (Q-Stars) that have been hit a bunch. Would the ball throw the numbers off enough to make a difference? Either way, awesome chart, taking this with me next time I go to test drivers.

I believe in fitting with the ball you normally play. I also think the ball can alter spin and numbers even more so than a shaft, based on what I have seen, so yes I think it matters. Obviously it will be different for different people however.

Got a chance to hold one of these yesterday. It's a solid looking club. My friend just got one in and it still had the plastic on it, so i wasn't about to be greedy and try to hit it. The stock shaft offering seems like a nice smooth offering. Very impressed!

I believe in fitting with the ball you normally play. I also think the ball can alter spin and numbers even more so than a shaft, based on what I have seen, so yes I think it matters. Obviously it will be different for different people however.
When being fit for the M1 they went and got a chrome soft for me and the spin numbers / launch did change (in a positive way). I definitely believe in being fit with the ball you will be playing as well.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

People get so focused on spin and launch angle and forget how the other numbers play a roll like AOA.
Looking forward to your feedback.

fitting confirmed today that pgass has spanxx simulators. they make you feel really good about yourself. chs never even got CLOSE to 104. i was a little tired today, but not that tired.

fitting confirmed today that pgass has spanxx simulators. they make you feel really good about yourself. chs never even got CLOSE to 104. i was a little tired today, but not that tired.

Just remember, we have FlightScope here and are only about an hour away.

I did take a look at this driver yesterday and I tought it looked great at address.

with the way I was swinging it, I can't tell if it was performing or not, but I liked the sound and the look at address. I think the sole is too busy, but I can get over that.

I got the chance to hit both the driver and the 3 wood at Golfsmith. They both are cannons in their own right. I had the driver set to 9.5 and it was definite low spin. I hit quite a few bombs that's for sure. I'm curious to see how it will compare to the pro model and the F6+. I think I'll wait and get fitted and try out the pro model and the F6+, with a couple of different shafts, and see which one gives me the best numbers. On the other hand, the 3 wood was the most impressive. I was averaging 277 off the deck with that stock shaft. I'm curious to see what the numbers will be like with a few different shafts. Hopefully I can finally retire my Bio Cell+ to my backup set. Cobra is really stepping it up.

I got the chance to hit both the driver and the 3 wood at Golfsmith. They both are cannons in their own right. I had the driver set to 9.5 and it was definite low spin. I hit quite a few bombs that's for sure. I'm curious to see how it will compare to the pro model and the F6+. I think I'll wait and get fitted and try out the pro model and the F6+, with a couple of different shafts, and see which one gives me the best numbers. On the other hand, the 3 wood was the most impressive. I was averaging 277 off the deck with that stock shaft. I'm curious to see what the numbers will be like with a few different shafts. Hopefully I can finally retire my Bio Cell+ to my backup set. Cobra is really stepping it up.

Good write up! I havent hit the F6 but I really liked the king ltd. I think the tech in in is really good. Also agree with you about the 3 wood.

Nice to read your impressions. what loft is your BC+ driver currently set to, 9.5 as well? I like my BC+ with the Matrix RedTie stock shaft, but curious to see how those who have the BC+ find the new F6/F6+ line.

Counting the days until Friday when I can get the LTD with a Grandura 590 and the THP Staff HZRDUS on the course for some testing.

I agree with some of you other guys here, the headcover is less than stellar. I may have to look in to something custom.

Back